• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would like to get into gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi, a quick question.
I'm having some problems with the drive I have steam installed on & am probably planning on doing a clean install on that drive. I have installed steam on a second drive.

If I then download Half Life 2 to this second drive & start to play, will I be able to pick up where I left off or have to start from the beginning? Are my save points on my drive or out on the cloud?

Thanks Dan

You actually should be able to copy/paste the entire steam directory to another folder and it will keep everything there.

Nopers, not really. I've rebuilt my OS drive numerous times and continue to use my steam directory on a different drive/partition. The only thing I had to do was create a shortcut for the Steam.exe to my desktop to open it. It will do it's thing and update and be done.

I would test this first before blowing it away, but should be fine.

save files for HL2 are located here:
program files/steam/steamapps/[steamusername]/half life 2/hl2/SAVE

assuming default folders of course.

Nopers, not really. I've rebuilt my OS drive numerous times and continue to use my steam directory on a different drive/partition. The only thing I had to do was create a shortcut for the Steam.exe to my desktop to open it. It will do it's thing and update and be done.

I would test this first before blowing it away, but should be fine.

save files for HL2 are located here:
program files/steam/steamapps/[steamusername]/half life 2/hl2/SAVE

assuming default folders of course.
So just copy that SAVE folder to the same place on the new drive & open steam.exe?

I'm pretty software challenged, would need directions on this.:D

All you do is add a new library location by going to Settings -> Downloads, then click Steam Library Folders and pick Add Library Folder.

Point the Add dialogue to the location you copied everything to.

All you do is add a new library location by going to Settings -> Downloads, then click Steam Library Folders and pick Add Library Folder.

Point the Add dialogue to the location you copied everything to.
O.K, that gives me two things to try. I think I'll try Janus's first, much easier.

Here's an update. In the end I didn't have to do either thing. I downloaded HL2 & went out onto the new drive to have a look. Went to the save folder & it was full of saves:clap: with old dates on the files. Ran HL2 & clicked load game & it was right there where I left off.

I guess steam does keep track of information somewhere.

ATM, I did look at what you said & that probably will come in handy at some time. Thanks.

Back to my problem on the other drive now.

Back