• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please Tell Me About Steam

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Every time you exit it, it pops out an ad. If you want it running in the background all the time using who knows how much internet bandwith, you won't see the ads. But if you shut down steam they pop up.
You can turn off notifications.

Steam is a platform that lets you buy dirt cheap games, it actually works pretty well. I don't have time for consoles anymore so the little time I get to play I do on PC,

steam updates can be a pain but for the most part it works quite well.

Every time you exit it, it pops out an ad. If you want it running in the background all the time using who knows how much internet bandwith, you won't see the ads. But if you shut down steam they pop up.

1. No it doesn't, even with every type of sale notification turned on. Are you sure you didn't download "Steam" from some malware site?
  2. Steam uses hardly any background bandwidth unless you're actively downloading games.

My heartfelt THANK YOU to everyone who took the time to educate me. I'm currently running FS9 and FSX and I'm quite happy with FSX performance. What I think I'll do is wait until FSX actually comes out for steam. I seriously doubt there will be much, if any, difference with what I have now, but it's the possible future upgrading (or modernization) that intrigues me the most. That's the time I'll either add steam capabilities to my two existing rigs or build a separate rig.

At any rate, with the basic knowledge I have now, thanks to ya'll, I soulf be able to continue enjoying FS well into the future.

My heartfelt THANK YOU to everyone who took the time to educate me. I'm currently running FS9 and FSX and I'm quite happy with FSX performance. What I think I'll do is wait until FSX actually comes out for steam. I seriously doubt there will be much, if any, difference with what I have now, but it's the possible future upgrading (or modernization) that intrigues me the most. That's the time I'll either add steam capabilities to my two existing rigs or build a separate rig.

At any rate, with the basic knowledge I have now, thanks to ya'll, I soulf be able to continue enjoying FS well into the future.

You're quite welcome :)

I expect the biggest bonuses for FSX will be streamlined updating, cloud sync for your game saves, and improved multiplayer servers!

You're quite welcome :)

I expect the biggest bonuses for FSX will be streamlined updating, cloud sync for your game saves, and improved multiplayer servers!

FSX is so EOL it isn't funny. There ARE no updates. What you download today is what you get. THat's it. You can download PMDG planes, Real environment X, etc etc, but the core game will not get any new updates. It came out 8 years ago for crying out loud. If the OP already has FSX, getting it for Steam is just stupid. Forgive the forcefulness of my words but seriously. If you already have a Ford Fiesta, would you ditch it and buy a new one just because a Ford dealership opened next door to your house? it makes no sense.

FSX is so EOL it isn't funny. There ARE no updates. What you download today is what you get. THat's it. You can download PMDG planes, Real environment X, etc etc, but the core game will not get any new updates. It came out 8 years ago for crying out loud. If the OP already has FSX, getting it for Steam is just stupid. Forgive the forcefulness of my words but seriously. If you already have a Ford Fiesta, would you ditch it and buy a new one just because a Ford dealership opened next door to your house? it makes no sense.

Last I checked it still gets new planes, which would have to be updated into the game.

Bad analogy. If Honda (Ford stinks :p) dealerships with teleporters opened up next door to every member of my family, allowing me to use any of my vehicles anywhere, no matter how I traveled to their house, I'd seriously consider paying the price for one more car.

Last I checked it still gets new planes, which would have to be updated into the game.

Are they proper planes or freeware planes? Freeware planes tend to have crappy flight models while good payware planes (such CaptainSim, PMDG, etc) have excellent, better than stock FSX flight models that really feel like flying the real plane.

To the OP - regaurds to my opinion on steam.....

Been a member for 7+ years now.... my brother for over 10.

It's been through more updates through time than I'd like to count. At one time a super buggy program, and has gotten much better through time....

That being said, there's tons to navigate through. Like any program, you'll get used to it, how it works and so on.

Takes a little resource to run the program, some 68,632K in memory, but uses very little processor unless it's updating.

Takes about 2 minutes to install (on 50mbps DL) their servers have some really nice upload bandwidth. You'll hardly wait on DLing games unless they are monster sized or your on wireless internet.....

Tons of free B games to look through and play. Far more than origin.

It's very community based. Clubs, clicks, clans and plenty of people to friend from any game.

Has in game overlay for quick friend access.

Has machine security. Must view e-mail for a code to unlock your specific PC at a location. This is good to prevent people from stealing an account, this was a major known issue. Now a days, less common because of security measures.

The only real way to find out if you'd like it is to try it! If you know a lot of people already on steam, add em' to your friends list, they can help via chat in real time if you get stumped.

Oh and steam support has mixed feelings. In the past, needing it was common, not so much now.

But I like steam :thup: It rocks :attn:

Are they proper planes or freeware planes? Freeware planes tend to have crappy flight models while good payware planes (such CaptainSim, PMDG, etc) have excellent, better than stock FSX flight models that really feel like flying the real plane.

I'm honestly not sure, I just know it isn't an abandoned game at all.

I've had FSX since it came out in 2006 and it's well supported. Support was slow to develop over FS9 because the components needed to properly run FSX weren't available! FSX stayed on my shelf until I had a rig that could do it justice and since then I've downloaded freeware and payware like mad. Hence the number of SSDs in my signature. I started flying when I was 14 (sailplanes) and moved to powered aircraft until I was unable to pass my flight physical 16 years ago. It ain't real flying, but at least the models are reasonably well done and the systems are very accurate. FSX is indeed dead end and I doubt there will ever be a new flight simulator so I make do woth what I've got. But I'm still going to keep my eye on steam since I find it an interesting way to game.

FSX is indeed dead end and I doubt there will ever be a new flight simulator so I make do woth what I've got. But I'm still going to keep my eye on steam since I find it an interesting way to game.

1. Buy Star Citizen
  2. Tell peripheral manufacturers you want new flight stick controllers
  3. Other software developers see new flight sticks on market
  4. Other software developers write new flight simulators
  5. ???
  6. Profit!

0XuHjZF.jpg

The window on the right is the adware-like behavior. You can turn this off? Where at?

It actually popped up after exiting a game (Audiosurf 2)

As you can see, it is an entirely new window (on the taskbar)

If you can indeed turn off such annoying behavior (We PAY steam, they get money for hosting the games... they don't need to advertise lol)

then Steam is pretty perfect imo.

Last edited:
Back