• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

determining what material window is made from without scratching

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

atconc

Registered
I posted this in
this thread but didn't get any response so I thought I'd try starting a new thread

Does anyone know or is anyone able to suggest a way to find out (other than scratching it) what material antec uses for the windows in my case (antec superLANboy)? I've been thinking about putting an intake fanhole in the window once i get hold of a holesaw, but it seems like if it's acyrlic it's likely to mealt or crack and probably not worth it.

I emailed antec support asking about what material the windows are made of or if there is a premodded window avaliable, they only replied with "Sorry but we don't have the option you require avaliable"

From my experience all Pre-mod side panel windows are acrylic. It's cheaper in bulk than polycarbonate, doesn't scratch as easily, and it can be cast with the holes for rivets instead of needed tool work.
Acrylic can be machined if you use fine tool blades and lower speeds. It will not however be safe to use a holesaw. So you'll first need to drill out some 1/2" holes through which you could start a cut with either a jigsaw or a dremel. Simply go slow and use the right blade. For cutting plastic with a jigsaw, I generally prefer using wood scroll-cut blades.

Another option is to go to a hardware store such as home depot or lowes, and purchase a piece of lexan and cut it yourself it's fairly cheap $10 us and very easy to with (common hand tools) just a suggestion. lol

I simply used a holesaw to cut a hole in the panel from my Raidmax case and that window had to be acrylic...I put a duct straight to the cpu (when I was on air of course). I took my time and there was just a hair of melting; I cleaned it up with a file and it looked great afterwards...

side.jpg

Cooper58d said:
Another option is to go to a hardware store such as home depot or lowes, and purchase a piece of lexan and cut it yourself it's fairly cheap $10 us and very easy to with (common hand tools) just a suggestion. lol

You can even have them cut it for you for free :)

Back