• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Question on noisy PSU (continued)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zan

Registered
I 'm sorry to have to start a new thread, but I noticed that when a thread is not commented on for some days, then people don't go back to it and can't hear you no matter how loud you' re shouting! Not everyone has the "notify me via email" box checked, I suppose, so these threads are now in all probability dead (wipes tear).

Anyway, to fill everyone in with the problem and cut a long story short, I recently (2 months ago) bought a pc and the PSU was very noisy. The PSU model's name is "SilentPro", and all reviews said it's "silent", "super silent" etc. so I thought there must be something wrong with it. People in the forum have suggested I take it back to the store, since it's still under warranty, which I did.

Well, guess what: Just got back from the store where they told me the noise is normal! They also said that the PSU was the most quiet thing in the PC and that the HDD or the graphics card made more noise. Here's the cool part: The place where they were trying to listen to the noise had music in the background! Is this FailBlog material or what?

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but the PSU, as any noisy gadget would, makes a very "specific" noise, meaning that it emits very specific sound frequencies, right? So, if you're in a large room that has music (even at low volume) it is possible that these specific frequencies are already present in the room, right?

What proves beyond doubt that they didn't listen to it right is that the HDD and the VGA are almost ENTIRELY silent! Unless they have a different kind of electricity in their store.

The guys said "no, no, it's normal" so I thought to myself "oh, well, maybe they're right" so I got it back home. When I turned it on I was fuming! With the door open, you can hear the bloody thing from the next room! When you shut down, you let out a sigh of relief! Are these things characteristic of a PSU called SilentPro, whose every review says it's silent? (This very forum's review read: Advantages: Silent, silent, silent.)

The question I have is this though: Is it possible that the specific setup requires too much power that the PSU can't handle, so it works full blast all the time?

Here's the entire setup:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 (s1155, 3,4 GHz, 8MB)
M/B: Gigabyte P67A D3 B3 (s1155, P67, DDR3)
HDD: HDD WD SATA II 1.5 TB 64MB RE4
CPU COOLER Corsair Air Series A50 CAFA50
RAM DDR3 Corsair 8 Gb (2x4) Kit Vengeance 1600
VGA PCI EX MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk 1Gb
Case Coolermaster Silencio RC-450
DVD-RW Sata Sony AD-728OS-OB
SSD: OCZ Agility 3 Series 120 GB SSD (2,5'', Sata 6Gb/s, AGT3-25SAT3-120G)

and the culprit:
PSU: Coolermaster SilentPro (500W)

Do you think that this setup justifies noise from this PSU?
Mind you, the noise is the same whether I'm doing nothing or have 4 heavy programs running simultaneously.

Also, I read somewhere that the CPU power saving features in the BIOS can cause a PSU to emit noise and if they're disabled this may cure the problem. What are those features, though? Anyone has any idea? I should also add that the motherboard comes with an EasyTune6 thingie, if anyone's familiar with it. Perhaps something can come out of that? Solving this softwarewise would be best.

I 'm ready to go back and make a fuss if necessary, I've been trying to make this machine quiet and start working (I'm a recording musician) for two months now!

Links to the previous threads for more details on this epic battle against the noisy forces of evil:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=705577
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=705542

Any help will be greatly appreciated, especially on the specific questions (the noise being normal due to the setup's requirements and a software solution).

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance for all the feedback.

Don't put up with a noisy computer, ESPECIALLY if it's the PSU. When a bad PSU goes it can destroy the rest of the computer, though with a coolermaster brand it is unlikely

. Your computer pulls about 400watts or less, so the PSU wattage is OK-ish. Tell the store to stop farting around and replace the PSU or refund. If they still give you crap and you paid with credit card, tell them that if you walk out the store unsatisfied you will call the credit card issuer to have payment reversed for defective merchandise.

PS you would have been better off getting an Antec, Sparkle or Corsair brand PSU

SUCCESS! I had to insist for quite as much as John Cleese in the Dead Parrot sketch, that there really was a problem and that it should be included in the warranty, but I finally prevailed! They didn't have the same model, so I got a Corsair and it's perfect (cheaper too, so I treated myself some other goodies!) After two aggravating months my extrovert pc has finally shut up!

A big thanks to everyone for their feedback and support!

SUCCESS! I had to insist for quite as much as John Cleese in the Dead Parrot sketch, that there really was a problem and that it should be included in the warranty, but I finally prevailed! They didn't have the same model, so I got a Corsair and it's perfect (cheaper too, so I treated myself some other goodies!) After two aggravating months my extrovert pc has finally shut up!

A big thanks to everyone for their feedback and support!

:) you are welcome

Back