• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How To Overclock A Dell!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
And we all want to overclock a dell.

whats this vid pin and jumper stuff...bsel?

the board support 3.2 and 3.4 ghx cellies and p4's up to 533fsb.

i've gotten both cpus to 620fsb and 3.2ghz northwood(2.8) and celly 325 D

but it was a b110 DIM1100 on a 865 chipset useing a toshiba satalite pll...

these are 845...the dim2400. maybe a perl board...

I have a ? about DELL OPTIPLEX GX150 running bios ver. A11. This bios version DOES NOT support USB BOOT as an option. OK... So, is this a limitation of the hardware itself and the bios or just the lame Dell bios?
Meaning, if I were to obtain say a modded bios that supported USB BOOT for this MB, would it work? Or is there a hardware consideration that I'm missing? In other words would this board still be unable to USB BOOT even if it had a bios that supported it? If it is a hardware limitation than a quest for a modded bios is in vain yes?

RE: USB BOOT DELL OPTIPLEX GX150

Organized_Chaos, thank you for the official DELL rhetoric. I am aware of DELL's schpiel on the Optiplex GX150 & USB BOOT capatility or lack there of.
THEY will say it is not available and never will. Meaning, it's legacy equipment and they're not going to write any new bios code for it & there won't be any new updates, or it's an actual hardware limitation that even new bios code can't enable.

What I'm wondering is, is it due to the HARDWARE itself not being able to support USB BOOT, i.e. chipset / USB interface itself. What's Dells reasoning?

There are 'unsupported' / 'modded' / hacked / garage coded bios out there that may infact support this, but if the actual chipset or USB interface hardware doesn't or cannot support it.
That is what I want to determine. For example, ppl are over clocking their PLL's via softset etc. It is only possible if the PLL has the system mgt. bus hardware line. That is a hardware limitation of the PLL clock itself.

Now can someone make a tutorial to remove the ****ing enrmous stock fan (looks like a tumor) and replace it with a good cooler

from what i recall, dell does not follow lga775 standard cooling layout. that is the holes in the motherboard make it impossible to use a after market cooler. you would need to do a custom mount for a aftermarket cooler.

wow, when i had my dell... i never found this. lol thats been like 6 years

I posted a tutorial at Tomshardware "Overclocking Dell BTX Computers"
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2897377/overclocking-dell-btx-computers.html
There is a new version of Throttlestop that supports Haswell, and Skylake CPUs
Throttlestop 8.00 beta 6 https://www.sendspace.com/file/of4xwj

I've also installed a Sapphire Dual BIOS R9-285 ITX 2GB DDR5 O/C video card. 1809 in Heaven 4.0 71.8 fps on ultra setting.
3Dmark 11 score P7644 better than 52% of systems.
I do have a BIOS issue with this I need to work out at this time

Dell Dimension E520 (2006) QX6800 SLACP @ 3.72Ghz, 8GB DDR2 @ 800, EVGA B2 750W PSU

Last edited:
Optiplex 745 with QX6800SLACP 3.45GHZ with D9729 cooler,and 3.72 GHz with heatsinked MOSFETS and T9303 cooler. I only ran stress test in CPUZ, No big GPU, no benchmarks. Just wanted to see what 3 phase MB with 2 mOSFETs per phase would do. Wouldn't go 4GHz at all like the Dimension E520 would.

i've been trying to overclock my intel core 2 duo e7500 since i got my pc...[3 days ago] i found you article but CPUFSB doesnt run on win 10.... if you some how see this pls help me ....

i've been trying to overclock my intel core 2 duo e7500 since i got my pc...[3 days ago] i found you article but CPUFSB doesnt run on win 10.... if you some how see this pls help me ....

Here are some software I know of. Clockgen, controls FSB and bus speeds. SetFSB, same. You must know PLL# for these.

Throttlestop 8.00. This is newer and controls voltage, nultiplier, and C states, but not FSB, O/C only with C2X.
Most Dells with 1333 fsb support except workstations have a hardwired 95W CPU limit. X6800 might work.

The E7500 can be BSEL pinmodded to a very high speed if your MB supports 1333fsb. A pinmod fools the MB (not the CPU) into running the higher bus. The mod is done on the CPU but the connection is changed in the socket.
Throttlestop can bump up the volts and monitor temps. It would help to know what MB you have and whether it's a BTX form, and what size case (MT is best). There is a VID pinmod but it can be complex.

I don't like the EULA on Win 10 so I don't run it.

I post at Tomshardware Forums as William P
You can avoid the Necro Trolls here by posting there. I get questions like this every day there.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/pll-pinmod-overclocking-methods-and-examples.393027/
Notebook overclockers hardmodding their MB to unlock fsb and much more. This is a 144 page thread full of hardcore locked BIOS techniques.

TME is a PLL chip mod that unlocks FSB selection. requires PLL pinout to do this. Clip TME pin. Allows software control of FSB also.

FSLx (x=a,b,or c) is a hardwired FSB selection like BSEL but done at PLL end of BSEL traces. Bypasses chipset BSEL mod downclocks.
Throttlestop does this also by disabling C states. But hardmods will work in Linux.

Back