• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclock Q9400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theedge123

Registered
hi there can you help. Im trying to overclock my Q9400 cpu by changing the bios set up as it appears to be done on videos that ve seen but im having trouble. First thing is can a intel Q9400 be over clocked because in bios set up under advanced there is no option to change any data. i can see what i need to change but the info its giving me is in grey writing and is non accessable. The only things i can chang is Core multi-Processing, Execute Disable Bit, Intel Virtualization Tech and Intel Eist.
With only thse to change gives me good reason that the cpu is locked. Is this True?
Also is there any other way i can overclock cpu without spending loads of money
I am new to this so im still trying to understand what im doing so please be patient

Post the rest of your system spec's, including motherboard and RAM. Also post either a direct link to your specific RAM, or pic's of CPU-Z open to the Memory and SPD tabs showing rated timings and voltage at their rated frequency.

hi mate i can give you more specs but i dont no how to give you direct link to my specific RAM andtimings and voltage at frequency
can you explain more for me

ok here are my spec
Intel core 2quad cpu [email protected] 2.67ghz
Ram 6gb
gtx470 and gtx260 graphic cards non sli
icute 850w psu
microstar ms7380 model N1996 motherboard
640gb hard drive

Im running flight simx with many add-onns just bought gtx 470 from gtx260 and frame rates still no different ive been told that cpu is not good enough so ive looked into overclocking cpu. in bios mode there is no setion that i can adjust so thats why im asking if it can be done

Yourmotherboard probably doesn't support oc'ing if you have no fsb options.

the options there but just cant get into it....is there any other way of overclocking then other than bios such as software

Under the CELL menu check to make sure D.O.T. Control is disabled, and System Clock Control is set to Manual.

yes pre built packard bell ipower2.0x

Unfortunately prebuilt PC manufacturers lock the bios of their computers to prevent overclocking. The only way you could overclock is by unlocking the bios which is a potentially dangerous and tedious process to say the least.

ok well it was worth ago. so what do u segest now. keep gtx470 or send back and use my gtx260 and by a cpu biger than 2.66ghz or by another motherboard and keep gtx470 and retry overclock
what would you do?

Also why is it dangerouse to unlock bios then

There are many parts of the process which may leave you with a bricked mobo. However each manufacturer handles bios locks differently some easier to unlock than others. Since you are planning on buying another motherboard I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. But you must go into it knowing exactly what to do. Also I believe that motherboard you have now is a micro ATX board so it probably wont overclock very well either. If yuo really want to get the most out of your cpu a new motherboard is the best bet, however make sure it is compatible with you current setup such as the form factor.

EDIT: from what I can see to unlcok your bios on that board it only requires a bios flash, which I cannot find atm.

Last edited:
Back