• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want a great headset.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I am finally at the stage where I badly want to get a real PC headset.

For months i have been keeping an eye on Corsair's Vengenace 2100, since I want wireless, and I also want non leather padding.

But before I jump out and pay a fortune for the headset (well, its not even that much compared to Logitech G930)

Is there anything out there worth considering that may suit my wishes?

I know the 7.1 is a bit of a gimmick, but im buying into it..

EDIT:

After hours of reading, and youtube videos, i have moved on from the all on one systems.

I am now looking at Sennheiser RS 180 or Sennheiser HD 598. Anything i should add into my consideration.

I am still unsure if i want to go wireless or wire. Both the ones i have looked most at are open back, which i am not sure i like, but that said, i already have some nice Sony's with NC.

This headset will be for home use, gaming and so on, which is why i am very unsure about wireless or not. The RS180 have been said to be of the better wireless headphones, but I just dont know.

Last edited:
After hours of reading, and youtube videos, i have moved on from the all on one systems.
:thup: a nice pair of stereo headphones will offer by far the best bang for the buck.

Since you didn't specify a budget I'll throw in a list I posted here some time ago:

Ultrasone HFI 580
Beyerdynamic 770
ATH-M50
Sennheiser HD595
Beyerdynamic 990
Ultrasone HFI 780
AKG 701

And this thread could give you more insight on possible models.

As for wireless, you'll need to decided whether you are going to need that feature or not. My 580's come with a pretty long cord so I can watch TV Shows from my bed on my PC or even can use them in the living room (with my FiiO E17 as an extension, kind of).

Hope this helps you a bit. I think head fi was posted somewhere in that thread as a great ressource to gather information on headphones.

Good luck :salute:

I really like the Klipsch S3s. They're only $20 on sale and the audio quality is very good.

You will always pay a premium for Bluetooth or any wireless, so only get that if you actually need it. Even then, you'll probably be better off with wired headset/headphones and a portable Bluetooth receiver.

:thup: a nice pair of stereo headphones will offer by far the best bang for the buck.

Since you didn't specify a budget I'll throw in a list I posted here some time ago:

Ultrasone HFI 580
Beyerdynamic 770
ATH-M50
Sennheiser HD595
Beyerdynamic 990
Ultrasone HFI 780
AKG 701

And this thread could give you more insight on possible models.

As for wireless, you'll need to decided whether you are going to need that feature or not. My 580's come with a pretty long cord so I can watch TV Shows from my bed on my PC or even can use them in the living room (with my FiiO E17 as an extension, kind of).

Hope this helps you a bit. I think head fi was posted somewhere in that thread as a great ressource to gather information on headphones.

Good luck :salute:

I did look at a few of the ones you have mentioned, but everytime, i do a search on google comparing them, audiophiles end up on the Sennheiser HD 598, which really is my budget limit. They look great, and with so much great talk about how great they are for music and gaming, i just cant ignore them. But I cant help thinking i may be passing up even better heatphones.

I am still unsure if should go Sennheiser Rs 180 or hd 598. The RS 220 would be perfect, but they are double my budget, and i cant help thinking the Hd 598 will give a better sound than the rs180, but the rs 180 are wireless, which i think i really want.

I have spent hours on this today, and i keep hoping to come across some headphones where all my doubts will dissapear.

Even then, you'll probably be better off with wired headset/headphones and a portable Bluetooth receiver.
Haven't thought of it, but this is a great idea you should definitly look into!
Sennheiser HD 598, which really is my budget limit. They look great, and with so much great talk about how great they are for music and gaming, i just cant ignore them. But I cant help thinking i may be passing up even better heatphones.
What do you mean? Stereo headphones in the 150€ area are pretty good. If you have the chance, see if you can listen to some in real life.
I would go with NiHaoMike and don't spend any extra cash on wireless headphones.

Haven't thought of it, but this is a great idea you should definitly look into!

What do you mean? Stereo headphones in the 150€ area are pretty good. If you have the chance, see if you can listen to some in real life.
I would go with NiHaoMike and don't spend any extra cash on wireless headphones.

I went out yesterday to a few shops, I found one with Sennheiser Momentus as Demo, but that is not what i am looking for, they are more on ear than over ear, or maybe i have big ears?

I have found no shops with the HD 598, I would really like to try them. I found an RS 180 lightly used, but almost as new, at close to half price of new.

I understand the reason behind the wireless vs. wired, and i am aware that the wired will give a better end product.

Maybe i should tell you guys, that i will be running off an Amp, if i went for the wired, which i know makes a huge difference.

The RS 220, is the top of the range wireless, they are more than double the price of HD 598, but the HD 598 out performances it, as far i can read, but i have found that Specs and experience of sound, dont always match up, better spec headphones get worse reviews.

The problem, i am no audiophile, but i do love sound, and great quality sound at that. The sound system for my pc, isnt just a basic logictech or creative system, i have a Harman/Kardon amp, with decent Yamaha speakers, i love the setup, the feeling you get, when you can almost feel the glass of water, in a movie, being put on the table, i want that feeling with my headphones too. But I often lay on the bed watching stuff, which is where the use for a wireless setup would come in handy.

This is not going to be an easy choice to make, mainly because I am unable to test out the headphones before buying.

All that said, the Beyerdynamic DT990's are also a great option, they are said to have more bass, than the HD 598.

Last edited:
Not a bad set, actually the same set I have in the classies. The Sennies are great for a more natural sounding set of cans as per the Sennheiser sound signature with focus on the mid-range.

I think you made a good choice.

You will be, far better than any gaming branded crap.

I'm also looking for a good gaming headset. I see your recommendation with the Antlion mic. It looks amazing, but they seem to change versions and models a lot. And, they seem to be in the middle of factory negotiations for a 4th edition.

Do you have a secondary suggestion? It may be months or longer before they get this all straightened out.

I'm also looking for a good gaming headset. I see your recommendation with the Antlion mic. It looks amazing, but they seem to change versions and models a lot. And, they seem to be in the middle of factory negotiations for a 4th edition.

Do you have a secondary suggestion? It may be months or longer before they get this all straightened out.

I have the first version, and could not be happier with it. I am unsure of what features they have added, but if they still have the 3rd edition for sale, I highly recommend grabbing one. There isn't any other addon mic that can compete with the ModMic.

I actually have my ModMic mounted to my monitor stand, pointing directly at my mouth. It comes with two magnetic mounts, so I have the other on the side of my headphones.

Also, as for headphones, The NVX XPT100 and Senn. HD 598 have very similar sound signatures, the HD 598 having the more refined (and slightly clearer) sound of the two. But do note that the XPT100 is $80, and the HD 598s are ~$200. The 598 looks amazing though.

Last edited:
Back