• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the Limit of a Air-Cooled Tbird AXIA chip?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Carmine_Paterno

I am wondering if i should get a 1.33ghz tbird for 220 or a 1 ghz tbird for 150 (both AXIA). I am wondering what the actaul limit is, and has anyone ever reached it? Will the 1.33ghz chip be easier to o/c or will the 1 ghz be better for the amount of money i am putting in to it. I want to hitt around 1.4-1.5 Air cooled. Instead of getting a Epox 8kta3, i have decided to go with the kk266, but i have one question:

Can i up the memory speed +33 mhz like i can with the 8kta3?

Thanx

It's all in the codes, the rated speeds don't matter except if you get a 1.33 GHz it is guaranteed to run at that speed. On the other hand a 1 GHz AXIA is pretty much guaranteed to run at 1.33 GHz easily and maybe up to 1.4 GHz or so. If you want to save money it makes sense to go with a 1 GHz chip. The only thing is it is somewhat inconvenient finding a 1 GHz that is an AXIA (they are out there all over the place but the trouble is you have to make sure you're getting an AXIA, pretty much all 1.33 GHz chips are AXIAs so it's not a problem for them).

Expensive chips to break with excess!!!!!

I can see the question arising - why won't my AXIA do 170Mhz FSB!

Regards - can I speed the memory up +33Mhz like the 8KTA3, you should realize that this has been a feature of all AMD orientated chipsets produced by Via since the KX133

I am not looking for 170 fsb, if it will do it GREAT, but if it won't, o well, a 1.5ghz chip with 120+ fsb will be just fine for me. After this upgrade, i will be getting a 20gb 7200rpm hard drive, then a geforce 2 pro and then another stick of 128mb pc133.

Back