• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New rig: 8086K, 2080Ti, air cooled clean build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
Towards the end of 2018, I noticed that memory and SSD prices had reached the level that it became irresistible for me to build a new machine. The 9th gen Core chips had come out, but I saw that there was a lone binned 8086k on Siliconlottery.com calling my name. It was specced for 5.2GHz on water and an obscene 1.4+V. I had already acquired a case, PSU and the necessary gear for a new custom water cooled loop, but I decided to see how far air cooling had come. Leave it to me to buy a new case and power supply with nothing to put in or power it.

Specs:

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master - selected for the beefy power section, ESS Sabre DAC, gold plated audio connectors, dual 8-pin CPU power, and front USB-C. Very good aesthetics, integrated IO plate.
Intel 8086K - Silicon Lottery re-lidded chip.
2x16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 3200CL14 - tight timings, good OC headroom as stated by Woomack. Recent price drops made this attractive.
HP Ex920 1GB M.2 NVMe - good upper end mainstream SSD, nailed it for around $170.
Nvidia RTX2080Ti Founders Edition - I wanted to call this a pseudo-budget build because of the memory and SSD, but who am I kidding. I preordered this card on release day. I tend to hang on to GPUs a very long time, and before it got swapped into this machine I benched at the upper end of Sandy Bridge systems with it. I'll take it.
Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 - pricey but very capable air cooler, if the reviews were to be believed. I intended to test it.
Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000W PSU - a bit overkill, but very nice unit.
Fractal R6 Gunmetal case - selected for low noise characteristics and water cooling expandability. Utilizing all the stock fans.
Windows 10 Pro - finally had to surrender to this operating system unfortunately.

The end results are pretty amazing. The system is far quieter than my water cooled Sandy Bridge 2600k, which has a watercooled CPU and power regulator section. On idle it is the quietest thing in my office. My NAS is noisier. On 100% load, with all the fans on automatic control, the noise level is very low hum. If gaming you would never notice it. The noise output is so good that I will not let the audio side of it go to waste at all. The Dark Rock mounts far more solidly than I would have expected for a two pound heatsink. Temperatures on non-AVX loads are very impressive. I'm still tuning the AVX side of the stress testing, but it will do 5.0GHz on non-AVX easily. I think 5.2GHz will be easily done on .1V less than Silicon Lottery specced it for.

Water cooling components waiting in the wings:
Optimus water block - super tight fin spacing modern block. Heavy and capable.
HWLabs Blackice Nemesis GTX 280 - tests really well for low and high speed fans
Array of Noctua 140mm 2000rpm Industrial PWM fans for push/pull on the radiator

Pics (don't ask me why, Irfanview is not saving my rotated photos....frustrating)

IMG_0425.jpeg
IMG_0426.jpeg
IMG_0427.jpeg
IMG_0428.jpeg
IMG_0430.jpeg
IMG_0429.jpg
IMG_0432.jpeg
IMG_0433.jpeg
IMG_0434.jpeg
IMG_0437.jpeg
IMG_0439.jpg
IMG_0440.jpg
IMG_0444.jpeg
IMG_0446.jpeg
IMG_0449.jpeg
IMG_0453.jpeg
IMG_0454.jpeg
IMG_0454.jpg

Last edited:
Looks wonderful!
That mobo is so neatly enclosed, doesnt even need a case! Taco would hang her on the wall instead:clap:

Thanks, guys! Had to show off a little bit. I'm really impressed by the build quality of this Gigabyte mainboard. My other machine has a Z68X-UD7-B3, and it is nice, but not THIS nice. The board is far more solid for overclocking, too. My first GUI bios, too. Pretty nifty.

New bios interfaces, M2 drives, stupid fast USB. What is the world coming to?

Forgot one of my favorite shots.

IMG_0443.jpeg

Just for baseline temps:

SSE4.2 Seti tasks and Cuda. 4.8GHz at 1.315V, -4AVX offset (not running AVX). Max CPU temps 83-85C at full fan speed, which is nice and quiet, but as good as this DRP4 can do. That 250W TDP might be in free air, not restricted inside a case. My CPU loads are around 200W.

Ordered up a pump a couple days ago. Still gunning for "very quiet" so I went with a DDC 3.1. Block will be an Optimus V1 and the radiator a Blackice Nemesis GTX280. I have 4 Noctua 2000rpm 140mm's for push/pull, but I'll stick with the Fractal 1000rpm fans to start off with.

I can't stabilize AVX on this chip even at 4.5GHz because of temps and thermal runaway. Time to see if my custom water loop can tame it for the same noise.

Last edited:
New bios interfaces, M2 drives, stupid fast USB. What is the world coming to?

I was in the same boat recently. I just built a new rig for the first time in a while. My mind was blown when I discovered it had a GUI BIOS that had mouse support :lol: I felt so out of my element!

Update. Didn't like my temps under quiet air cooling, so after some issues (radiator flushing fun) I got my H2O loop in.

Spent the morning flushing, bleeding and reassembling. Use hot vinegar to soak it, then flushed thoroughly with tap and distilled, followed by the final 70/30 distilled/glycol coolant. Took some doing to get the air bubbles sufficiently bled due to the lower flow rates on this pump, but I managed it.

H2O loop parts:

Optimus V1 water block - badass water block, but fairly high restriction
EK SBAY 3.2 DDC bay res with 6W pump (low flow silent DDC variant)
Blackice Nemesis GTX 280 radiator, using the stock Fractal 140mm case fans
7/16" tubing and barbs throughout

Results so far, using all 3 fans (900rpm) and the pump (3000rpm) set to max, which would be near silent if it weren't for the 2080Ti's fans running up to stay cool:

Coolant temp 28C. CPU temp 55-60C.
On air: CPU temp 75-80C.
CPU current package power at 100% load: 110W
20C drop, and should give me a lot more headroom to OC the 8086K. It would appear that there is still no substitute for a proper custom loop over air cooling, when it comes to quiet running.

I really like the look of the Optimus with the mainboard. The reflections of the block, heatsinks and PCH go nicely.

I call this a total win. I ordered some 140mm foam fan gaskets to better seal the fans to the radiator since there's a 2 millimeter gap or so.

IMG_0787.jpeg View attachment 204586View attachment 204587

Last edited:
With the new water set up, I'm running AVX seti tasks at 4.8GHz with no offset now. Temps in the 65C range. Prime AVX will push it to mid 70s, but stable.

Next up is to test 4.9 and then 5.0. Got radiator gaskets in the mail to make sure I'm pulling all the air I can with no leakage.

Thanks. This custom loop is really going to let the chip stretch its legs. Let's see if I can do a better, cooler job than SiliconLottery did.

I've been running 4.8GHz at 1.315V rock solid.

I tried 4.9GHz last night and even using up to 1.36V it can't push the AVX units in Prime95. Temps went to the mid-80s. Any fine tuning of other voltages I might try?

Mid 80's still leaves a bit of headroom. We say keep it at 90 or below.

Also, use an AVX offset. ;)

Back