• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ps3 45nm?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Red_LightRanger

Ok so i finally got a job and stored up enough to buy a ps3, but then i see a post about a 45nm ps3 with 80gig hd. I could go out and buy the 40gig today, but if this ones coming out I'll wait. Is this just a rumor or should I wait. I tried googlin it, but i cant find anything except rumors lol.

Ditto! I say buy it. I bought my 360 two Christmasses ago when they were giving away a year's replacement plan, a $20 gift card, AND a game.

At the same time Toys R Us was giving away $100 gift cards with it. If I hadn't gone for the bundle I got I would've gotten that one.

$100 with a PS3 allows you to do even more. Since you don't have to worry about paying for online you can get a new game and an older one or maybe a new game and a blutooth headset if you don't already have one.

actually thats pretty awesome. I was only planning on buying gta4 with it, but with a 100 bucks i could invest in another game!

Any idea when those 45nm are comin out?

Get Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix from the PSN Store!

You can DL the demo first, but you'll pretty much want to get it after that! :beer:

Ok so i finally got a job and stored up enough to buy a ps3, but then i see a post about a 45nm ps3 with 80gig hd. I could go out and buy the 40gig today, but if this ones coming out I'll wait. Is this just a rumor or should I wait. I tried googlin it, but i cant find anything except rumors lol.
Wait for the MGS4 PS3 (the bundle, not the Limited Edition). It comes with an 80GB HDD, a DualShock 3, and MGS. Well worth the price.

But ultimately it's your money, so do with it what you want.

Hang on...??

To my understanding the current 40GB models have the 65nm CELL and 90nm RSX and the new 80GB models will have the 65nm CELL and are getting a 65nm shrink to the RSX and any new console now built was getting the same.

Then in the near future CELL was getting another shrink to 45nm and so was RSX later I swear that was the current plan unless yeilds for the 45nm CELL or RSX where good and they taken 1 big step to that.

Last edited:
Hang on...??

To my understanding the current 40GB models have the 65nm CELL and 90nm RSX and the new 80GB models will have the 65nm CELL and are getting a 65nm shrink to the RSX and any new console now built was getting the same.

Then in the near future CELL was getting another shrink to 45nm and so was RSX later I swear that was the current plan unless yeilds for the 45nm CELL or RSX where good and they taken 1 big step to that.

That is exactly what I was under the impression of.. I thought the 45nm Cell/65nm RSX was a 'holiday' release. Someone have newer sources?

i tried asking that question to the ps3 support, but heres all he said:

Additional stock of 80GB PLAYSTATION 3 systems will
reach retailers when the Metal
Gear Solid 4 PLAYSTATION 3 bundle is released in North America in late
spring or early summer 2008.

The Metal Gear Solid 4 PLAYSTATION 3 bundle will include:

- 80GB PLAYSTATION 3 system
- DUALSHOCK(R)3 controller with SIXAXIS(TM) and vibration functionality
- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriot game

For additional information regarding this bundle please read the
official Press Release:

http://www.us.playstation.com/News/PressReleases/455

but he never said anything about the 45nm lol.

They wouldnt, not to a potential customer.

You just kinda have to guess from what they say in finance statements and those of suppliers.
They will never come out and say we" are releasing an upgraded product that is better and costs the same in a few months" because you would simply wait a few months for it, which is bad for them.
If its going to have a financialy material effect, they are legaly bound to release the information to the general public, but if its not, they will keep it secret as much as possible.
So, we know, kind of, that there will be a new code named PS3 by christmas, but we have no confirmation of what it will be, just speculation and deduction

I think it is safe to buy one now, it is silent now a smaller version of the ps3 won't come until 32nm cells are made, the 45/65nm versions can't make that much difference.

Back