• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When a Tech isnt a tech...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adragontattoo

Trailer Chasing Senior
so just walk back to the manufacturing area at my job and one of the "techs" is cleaning out a clients PC.

PC on its side.

Air can inverted and spraying/dropping frozen propellant on the MB.

"STOP DO NOT DO THAT" immediately is screamed by both myself and another tech.

"Its not a problem, its fine"

"NO NO IT ISNT DO NOT EVER DO THAT."

"Its fine I need to clean the dust out of the PC, it wont hurt the machine if the can is upside down"

*facepalm*

I grab another can, "See the drops and visual freezing air that is ejecting from the can?"
"that is bad and WILL destroy a MB"

"Ok, you get to pay the HIPAA fine if that machine doesnt come back up"

He then proceeded to take the HS off the chip and without reapplying TIM put it back on...

Stupidity scares me.

We are starting to see this type of thing a lot now. I'm in manufacturing and layoffs have been plentiful forcing people to take on more responsibilities and most of them are not qualified to push a broom never mind playing with $200,000 machines! I do the "facepalm" thing a lot nowadays!

My mom is head of IT at a major well-known hospital and she calls me at 2am to ask how to connect the speakers. The former head of IT quit and they didn't want to pay someone new so they bumped her salary $30K per year (former head was getting $80K) and now she performs her exec job and the job as the (figure)head of IT.

What does HIPAA have to do with a dead PC?

That sounds like an old boss of mine...there were so many things wrong with his "shop" I lost count after my second week.

His assistant and I would regularly get into shouting matches when I would catch her using a floor vac to clean out the computers.

LOL some people scare me with computers.
Anyone remember when someone bought a 7800gt and it wouldn't fit into his AGP slot being PCI-e, so he cut off some of the lanes so that it barely fit into the slot and wondered why it didn't turn on. :screwy:

LOL some people scare me with computers.
Anyone remember when someone bought a 7800gt and it wouldn't fit into his AGP slot being PCI-e, so he cut off some of the lanes so that it barely fit into the slot and wondered why it didn't turn on. :screwy:

LMAO!!! i want to see that!

What are they paying these people?!?!?!?

Ive been thinking about what field to go to collage for even though I have a great job but that scares me!

so just walk back to the manufacturing area at my job and one of the "techs" is cleaning out a clients PC.

PC on its side.

Air can inverted and spraying/dropping frozen propellant on the MB.

"STOP DO NOT DO THAT" immediately is screamed by both myself and another tech.

"Its not a problem, its fine"

"NO NO IT ISNT DO NOT EVER DO THAT."

"Its fine I need to clean the dust out of the PC, it wont hurt the machine if the can is upside down"

*facepalm*

I grab another can, "See the drops and visual freezing air that is ejecting from the can?"
"that is bad and WILL destroy a MB"

He then proceeded to take the HS off the chip and without reapplying TIM put it back on...

Stupidity scares me.

IT got better, his new tactic for ANY BSOD is Reload the OS

I am just forwarding the INSANE clients to my boss so that HE can explain why he had them reload the OS for a corrupt driver

Sounds like one of the "techs" from the now defunct Circuit City "Firedog" team found a new job... :beer:

Sorry if that sounded a bit harsh, but I never met a single one that I would trust with a TRS 80... I'm sure there were some knowledgable people on that "team" somewhere, but I never met one...

Is this guy paid by the job or the hour? Sounds like by the hour, only reason I could see why reloading the OS would be the route he takes for a simple driver issue... unless he really is just that lazy or stupid... or both? :screwy:

If the pay is bad, good people bail.

One of my friends (a member here) used to work for Bestbuy's noobsquad. Almost every week he'd tell me an amazing story about some of the other techs who obliterated stuff. He quit and so did the few competent people who worked there because they could not deal with being asked to scam customers, charge them extra etc etc...plus, the pay was a pittance.

Back