• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's your verdict on XP so far?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think XP is by far the best MS OS yet. It crashed a bit at first but doesn't seem to do that anymore. Maybe the updates fixed some things?

martyt said:
I think XP is by far the best MS OS yet. It crashed a bit at first but doesn't seem to do that anymore. Maybe the updates fixed some things?

i had that problem but not any more after downloading update from microsoft.........so far so good........i still receive none responding application.........do you receive it ?

i don't have it but have used it and it does have it perks. But i hate the stupid bright color theme they have going on, i am glad that can be changed. Also, i change hardware all the time and i don't think i could deal with it locking up after the hardware changes.

NASsoccer said:
i don't have it but have used it and it does have it perks. But i hate the stupid bright color theme they have going on, i am glad that can be changed. Also, i change hardware all the time and i don't think i could deal with it locking up after the hardware changes.

you can change 4 hardwares at 1 time without any problem

and after 120 days, you can install in another computer......if you like..

i don't say these things...............MICROSOFT admited it

I do like this new OS. The problem i had was it couldn't install any drivers for my scanner, printer, and cdrecorder. I found the updates for them at their respected sites except for my scanner to which the company is no longer around. But I had installed win98 on a dual boot also as a backup just in case win XP came across such problems.

Softwebdev said:

you can change 4 hardwares at 1 time without any problem

and after 120 days, you can install in another computer......if you like..

i don't say these things...............MICROSOFT admited it

Yes i knw this :) but i hav changed more than that before. Jsut like this weekend i am buying a new hdd, adding a pc 150 256 stick of ram, rplacing my old ram also with pc150 (hopefully:) if my my check is big enough), a new modem, and i plan on running a test for my friend of a couple of graphic cards for him. I don't think xp would like that very much. But again i say i have never had XP om my box i have only used it on others. Also from what i had heard to date, nothing that has been said about xp has made me even think about giving up w2k.

Last edited:
NASsoccer said:

Yes i knw this :) but i hav changed more than that before. Jsut like this weekend i am buying a new hdd, adding a pc 150 256 stick of ram, rplacing my old ram also with pc150 (hopefully:) if my my check is big enough), a new modem, and i plan on running a test for my friend of a couple of graphic cards for him. I don't think xp would like that very much. But again i say i have never had XP om my box i have only used it on others. Also from what i had heard to date, nothing that has been said about xp has made me even think about giving up w2k.

microsoft says if you add more hadrware in your computer, it shouldn't cause you any problem.

if you have problem with activation, just give microsoft a call....and i'm sure that they will allow you to activate....just tell them that you install new hardware........or your dog eats your computer....something like that...

i gave up w2k already and go for XP PRO

its pretty nice, but if you have win2k its not that much different cept it looks cool, im sad cuz my hardcore maxpayne wall paper looks fruity when put against a birght blue/green taskbar....

funnyperson1 said:
its pretty nice, but if you have win2k its not that much different cept it looks cool, im sad cuz my hardcore maxpayne wall paper looks fruity when put against a birght blue/green taskbar....

too bad

I like it. I honestly thought that Microsoft shot their wad with 2K and couldn't better themselves. They showed me....

I think it is a good OS. But it needs some security work. You can't have absolute reign over permissions like you did on 2K.

I like the additional programs that everyone calls "bloatware". Some aren't that powerful, but you can get the job done. You can install XP and Office XP and not need another program. You should be able to accomplish just about anything.

I like the boot speed. I hate the overall speed. It's slower than 2k, but all of my other 2k machines are dualies, so I'm spoiled from the start.

I like the look. It's nice to have something fresh, but it takes some time to relearn.

The hardware support is there. It supported an older videocard, and the manufacturer or it doesn't even have drivers for it. It supported my scanner using the Win2K drivers I have, it runs better on XP with 2K drivers than on 2K with 2K drivers.

The built in burning software is ok. Not the greatest, but it does what it's supposed to do. Make sure you get the update from MSFT that updates the supported CDRW models.

Games seem to run fine. I really can't judge thier speed as I have that old 8 Meg. But I did put in my Radeon to give Delta Force Land Warrior a go and didn't notice any slowdowns, but DFLW isnt that tasking to a system.

The compatiblity wizard is a godsend. I have run games that were 95/98 only on it using the wizard. Neat thing on this. I loaded the game Theif. Wouldnt run on 2000. Wouldnt load on 2000. Loaded and plays fine on the XP machine, and I didnt use the compatiblity wizard.

One bad thing about XP is cloning your hard drive. MSFT has done something with the NTFS and DriveCopy 3, Ghost2001, and Partition Magic wont copy an XP partition, or disk as a whole. Although Ghost 2002 is coming and it has XP support.

There isn't a whole lot of hardware support from manufacturers as of yet, but that is expected.

Seems there is a security issue with the Microsoft Passport, but that is also being worked on.

Keep in mind that XP Home wont log onto domains and doesn't offer support for dual CPU systems. Office XP pro comes with Frontpage 2002 if you care.

Kingslayer said:
I like it. I honestly thought that Microsoft shot their wad with 2K and couldn't better themselves. They showed me....

I think it is a good OS. But it needs some security work. You can't have absolute reign over permissions like you did on 2K.

I like the additional programs that everyone calls "bloatware". Some aren't that powerful, but you can get the job done. You can install XP and Office XP and not need another program. You should be able to accomplish just about anything.

I like the boot speed. I hate the overall speed. It's slower than 2k, but all of my other 2k machines are dualies, so I'm spoiled from the start.

I like the look. It's nice to have something fresh, but it takes some time to relearn.

The hardware support is there. It supported an older videocard, and the manufacturer or it doesn't even have drivers for it. It supported my scanner using the Win2K drivers I have, it runs better on XP with 2K drivers than on 2K with 2K drivers.

The built in burning software is ok. Not the greatest, but it does what it's supposed to do. Make sure you get the update from MSFT that updates the supported CDRW models.

Games seem to run fine. I really can't judge thier speed as I have that old 8 Meg. But I did put in my Radeon to give Delta Force Land Warrior a go and didn't notice any slowdowns, but DFLW isnt that tasking to a system.

The compatiblity wizard is a godsend. I have run games that were 95/98 only on it using the wizard. Neat thing on this. I loaded the game Theif. Wouldnt run on 2000. Wouldnt load on 2000. Loaded and plays fine on the XP machine, and I didnt use the compatiblity wizard.

One bad thing about XP is cloning your hard drive. MSFT has done something with the NTFS and DriveCopy 3, Ghost2001, and Partition Magic wont copy an XP partition, or disk as a whole. Although Ghost 2002 is coming and it has XP support.

There isn't a whole lot of hardware support from manufacturers as of yet, but that is expected.

Seems there is a security issue with the Microsoft Passport, but that is also being worked on.

Keep in mind that XP Home wont log onto domains and doesn't offer support for dual CPU systems. Office XP pro comes with Frontpage 2002 if you care.

i always like the pro version...dont ask me why...i guess it makes me feel like PRO :)

el said:
It is a keeper pro hasn't crashed yet. all you 98SE and ME people who can say that raise your hand!
I personally can't say that I can't raise my hand to that one, but a friend of mine has been running ME for the past year without a problem. I can't imagine how he's managed to do it. He's swapped MB's, CPU's, Memory, vid cards, you name it. Maybe not OC'ing is the key...
...but where's the fun in that?

I was running 98SE with my old P3 450 but that the mobo burned out so I changed to athlon. 98SE was really stable with the P3 but when I installed it on the 1.4, I was crashing all over the place. Got XP and installed it and have been running it for almost 2 weeks now. It is really stable, havent crashed once, its nice to look at, BUT, it eats up your resources. Also, when you play games such as counter-strike, there IS a noticable drop in FPS. Im still running at 72.0 FPs in that game, so it is a really small price to pay for the added stablility. If you dont really play games all that much, then I guess WinXp is the Microsoft OS for you.

Leeua said:
I was running 98SE with my old P3 450 but that the mobo burned out so I changed to athlon. 98SE was really stable with the P3 but when I installed it on the 1.4, I was crashing all over the place. Got XP and installed it and have been running it for almost 2 weeks now. It is really stable, havent crashed once, its nice to look at, BUT, it eats up your resources. Also, when you play games such as counter-strike, there IS a noticable drop in FPS. Im still running at 72.0 FPs in that game, so it is a really small price to pay for the added stablility. If you dont really play games all that much, then I guess WinXp is the Microsoft OS for you.

And here I am sitting at P3 500...

For some reason I'm getting 30FPS IN CS AND BEFORE I GOT 71.. WHAT IS GOING ON! I should really post this in the video section after..

Win XP Pro is good I like it very much .. Compatible with games.

Yeah, the only negative so far for me in WinXp is that the games run a little slower. Other than that, Microsoft really did a good job of adding compatibilaty to the awesome Win2000 kernal.

Norton Anti 2002 runs fine on Xp, I am running a dual XP Pro/2K pro, so far still tweeking the XP. it is corp with no activation. I run the voodoo 5 and had to hunt for the glide, but all is ok for the 2nd day. it has crashed twice, and runs hot but turning up the fans for idle fixs that, still not sure, but as of now it seems less of a system then 2k, yet it does seem faster. still undecided

i love the fact that straight away,my sb live sound WORKED without any setup ,(ithe default music was pumping my sub and it impressed from the inception!) then the desktop resolution was DEFAULT @ 32bit 800 x 600 and i could straight away set it to my desired res. so my sound/graphics and all the annoying parts of 98se were already setup before i even had a chance to see it. i loved that!
plus ive been playing counter strike continuosly no probs!!! what can be better man?

Back