• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HIS IceQ Capacitor Blowed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rhzealot

Hi there!! I bought this card on ebay with the hope I can get an RMA, but well.. wasn't as expected, so now I'm looking for help to pointing me to the right component, looks like a capacitor but I'm not sure how to look fir it over the web.
the position or not shire what means the number its C623, does anyone has a clue about this?

I appreciate any help!

Thanks

Attachments

• 20140326_080421.jpg
    20140326_080421.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 69
Yup, that's a capacitor. Looks like an 0805 package. Capacitance is a good question, I'd guess 47µF. Voltage is another good question, if it's between vGPU and GND, probably 2.5v. If it's between 12v and GND, it'll be a 16V cap.
If you de-solder it, the card will likely run without it.

Yup, that's a capacitor. Looks like an 0805 package. Capacitance is a good question, I'd guess 47µF. Voltage is another good question, if it's between vGPU and GND, probably 2.5v. If it's between 12v and GND, it'll be a 16V cap.
If you de-solder it, the card will likely run without it.

Thanks for your Help Bobnova, it's there an easy way to know if it's between vGPU and GND or between 12v and GND?. And yes, the computer turns on fine, it recognize the card fine, but I didn't want to stress it to avoid worst the things.

Thanks in advance!

A multimeter set to ohms is one way. Take the card out of the computer and measure between GND (the bracket is a lovely source for GND) and both sides of the cap to find the GND side. Then measure between the other side and the positive leg of the polymer caps on the GPU die side of the VRM bits. If you get <1ohm, that's what it connects to.
If not, then measure between the non-GND side and the various 12v sources.

My bet is vGPU though.
If it works as is, I'd leave it alone and enjoy the card, or de-solder it and then leave it alone and enjoy the card.

A multimeter set to ohms is one way. Take the card out of the computer and measure between GND (the bracket is a lovely source for GND) and both sides of the cap to find the GND side. Then measure between the other side and the positive leg of the polymer caps on the GPU die side of the VRM bits. If you get <1ohm, that's what it connects to.

My bet is vGPU though.
If it works as is, I'd leave it alone and enjoy the card, or de-solder it and then leave it alone and enjoy the card.

Thanks man, I appreciate your help!

My bet is vGPU though.

Ok i already made some test and there are 12.3v on the capacitor, the capacitors around looks the same voltage, so according what you say should be:

0805 - This is the correct size I already check it.
47uF - Could be other?
16v - well it has 12.3 aprox, so should be 16v?

the problem is that I couldn't find any capacitor with the 3 values! I found with 47uF and 16v but is 1210 size and according to this chart http://www.topline.tv/SizeChart.html they are too big... could be something different? I mean in worst scenario I will leave it without capacitor but if I can I would like to put it on...

Thanks!

Yeah you want the capacitor rated for more voltage than you're actually running. It could be other values, my guess is that it's the highest capacity you can get in that package, which last time I checked was 47µF if my memory is correct (which it may not be). It may be different now.
22µF would be OK too, and costs a lot less.

Back