• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your Guide to Setting Up a HLDS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You do not have to add exec server.cfg to the line as it will automatically load server.cfg

As for lan...just put in server.cfg the command:
sv_lan 1

This will make the server only for LAN use. At any point you can flick it to sv_lan 0 and it will become accessable to anybody on the net.

**Updated**

New additions:
TightVNC
Source HLDS Installation
A few new system tweaks to improve performance

Enjoy!

Amazing guide, my dedicated server has been running great!

Only problem i have is with the hostname switch in the server.cfg file. Mine looks like this
Code:
///Name of the server
hostname “PinkTwinky Clan Server. FunMaps”

However when i execute the server all i get is a hostname of PinkTwinky

It doesnt seem to include the spaces like it should.

If i in the console type, hostname "PinkTwinky Clan Server, FunMaps, Ultrafast Download" It works fine...

Sophism said:
Amazing guide, my dedicated server has been running great!

Only problem i have is with the hostname switch in the server.cfg file. Mine looks like this
Code:
///Name of the server
hostname “PinkTwinky Clan Server. FunMaps”

However when i execute the server all i get is a hostname of PinkTwinky

It doesnt seem to include the spaces like it should.

If i in the console type, hostname "PinkTwinky Clan Server, FunMaps, Ultrafast Download" It works fine...

It's those " " that you used. The reason why it only recognizes PinkTwinky is because the " " are incorrect and it only reads:
hostname PinkTwinky

and cuts off the rest. If you ensure that you have the correct quotation marks then it will be good :)

Let me know how that works.

Sophism said:
worked... not sure how in the hell i got those weird quotations...

Perfect :) I'm not sure either. I don't even know how to do those lol.

EDIT: oh wait if you're using MS Word to edit the cfg files it may have altered the quotation marks automatically. Always use notepad or wordpad to edit the CFG files. Alternatively you could use Crimson Editor as it's a good solid editor for every type of config file and even html!

chicken?

Now theres some sort of thing where everyone has to download these files
sounds/csf/chicken1.wav and a few others, but these files do not even exist, it's annoying because people have to go dl files that arent even there, it just wastes time, like when you join the server, it starts to join and then it takes you out to dl these files, and then it takes you back in, but these files dont exist. On the console window it says failed to transfer the files. What could be the problem?

tangsta said:
Now theres some sort of thing where everyone has to download these files
sounds/csf/chicken1.wav and a few others, but these files do not even exist, it's annoying because people have to go dl files that arent even there, it just wastes time, like when you join the server, it starts to join and then it takes you out to dl these files, and then it takes you back in, but these files dont exist. On the console window it says failed to transfer the files. What could be the problem?

Check that they exist in the folder that the HLDS is looking in: In your case it would be sound/csf/

If the file is present, are you using the sv_urldownload ?

ps2cho said:
Perfect :) I'm not sure either. I don't even know how to do those lol.

EDIT: oh wait if you're using MS Word to edit the cfg files it may have altered the quotation marks automatically. Always use notepad or wordpad to edit the CFG files. Alternatively you could use Crimson Editor as it's a good solid editor for every type of config file and even html!

heh dedicated server, so its a clean install, no word or anything, i used notepad... Still clueless :) But i might have copied and pasted part of the config from another website/forum so who knows.

Sophism said:
heh dedicated server, so its a clean install, no word or anything, i used notepad... Still clueless :) But i might have copied and pasted part of the config from another website/forum so who knows.

Well by the way that you copied it to this forum, the quotation marks were all funky, so that would certainly have been the problem.

tangsta said:
The file is not present and there is no sv_urldownload!

That's why then :) Find the file(download online, or wherever it can be found) and put it into that directory. The map or plugin is looking for the file to upload to the connecting player, but does not have it when it scans.

People cant connect

hi,

i am the only one who can get onto my server, but none of my friends can.

PLEASE HELP

and how to you get bots onto the server?

btw great post

$!ggy said:
hi,

i am the only one who can get onto my server, but none of my friends can.

PLEASE HELP

and how to you get bots onto the server?

btw great post

For the first question -- Are you giving them the LAN IP or the WAN IP? They are very different. You want to give your friends the WAN IP. To get the WAN IP go to www.whatismyip.com

If you did that, then it is a port issue. Please tell me the router you have, or open ports 27015 if you know how.

As for bots, what steam game are you trying to play?

ps2cho said:
For the first question -- Are you giving them the LAN IP or the WAN IP? They are very different. You want to give your friends the WAN IP. To get the WAN IP go to www.whatismyip.com

If you did that, then it is a port issue. Please tell me the router you have, or open ports 27015 if you know how.

As for bots, what steam game are you trying to play?

People can now connect to the server, thanks. I am using Counter Strike.

$!ggy said:
People can now connect to the server, thanks. I am using Counter Strike.

Well "That was easy" :)

Good thing ports didn't have to be opened as for HLDS, it can get a little messy.

As for bots, CS 1.6 does not natively come with bots, so you would have to install a 3rd party bot mod. I suggest looking into PODbot, or simply do a search for cs 1.6 bots. Goodluck.

hey when me make my server following the steps on the first page my ip is always 10.0.0.1 does this mean i need a static ip or what. i dont have a router i am running a normal adsl modem and really need help

Sp4nK said:
ohk thx for that but y cant i c it on the won server
If you meant WON literally, then WON is no longer used and I cannot provide support for it.

If you meant the steam server lists, then you need to forward the correct steam ports, or just try opening port 27015.

Back