• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Torin3's 4P F@H build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I got an email from SM RMA. They are saying the burnt pins are bent pins. I told the repair tech they were burnt before I sent it back. We'll see how this plays out....

Last edited:
I think they need to do a better examination before they start sending out emails to the customer saying its something else.

Fingers crossed for a quick turn around.

Crud, on the 3rd pass on Memtest, I suddenly got 48 errors all at once on test 7.

Crud, on the 3rd pass on Memtest, I suddenly got 48 errors all at once on test 7.

Well, another 6 passes and no more errors. Not worth chasing down at this point. I'm going to start testing the 6172s.

You better get that thing up and running soon as you get it, I'm real close on your tail :rofl::chair: NOT! but get that thing folding because I'm sure someone is on your tail. :)

Good to know SM is replacing it, hope everything runs smoothly.

All 3 of the (non-welded) 6172 chips appear to be good. Each one booted into the Ubuntu folding appliance with no problem. I've got 2 in the board now, with 16 GB of memory. I'll be taking it home today and folding with it. At least it is a 24 thread -bigadv box. When I get the other board back, I'll use it to run memtest on all my RAM until I can identify the occasionally erroring stick.

All 3 of the (non-welded) 6172 chips appear to be good. Each one booted into the Ubuntu folding appliance with no problem. I've got 2 in the board now, with 16 GB of memory. I'll be taking it home today and folding with it. At least it is a 24 thread -bigadv box. When I get the other board back, I'll use it to run memtest on all my RAM until I can identify the occasionally erroring stick.

Glad to hear that the board I recommended came in handy :)

I still need to get some coolers for mine, and maybe some ram would help also.

I am now so furious I can barely see straight.

SuperMicro RMA dept said:
Hi

Torin3

Please be informed that the following item(s) have been determined as non-repairable by our Technician and it is no longer covered under warranty. Details are specified below:

PART# / SERIAL NUMBER / DETAILS / REASON
MBD-H8QGI+-F-P / WMF29S70262 / CPU socket 2 has burnt pins / Physical Damage

You may refer to the pictures for more details.

We will return the non-repairable product to you in 24hrs. If you wished to have the product be destroyed at our site, please respond to this email immediately.

Thank you for your understanding

Kind Regards,

William B

They KNEW there were burnt pins before I sent the bleeping thing in.

I am now so furious I can barely see straight.

They KNEW there were burnt pins before I sent the bleeping thing in.

Wait what?

I thought you sent them the board, and this is the response they gave you after they got to look at the board? :confused:

annoying git said:
Hi Torin3

Our repair team needs to verify it and see if it’s repairable. If you have more questions you may check with RMA department.

Thanks

Jerry

At this point, if they weren't based out of California, I'd be tempted to file a small claims action over this.

Back