• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to OC Forums, building a computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vodka62

New to OC Forums, building a computer **edit** i think i fried something help!

Hey guys, Ive been lurking around here for a good 3-4 months reading and researching on various components for a computer I'm building. I've always been a computer enthusiast but never build or overclocked a computer before. My goal for this build is to build an OCable computer on a budget that is upgradeable in the future for whatever needs I have. Finally got all my info straight and this is what I plan on building:

XFX GTX 260 Black Edition 216
Corsair 750TX
Antec Nine Hundred Case
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R
Intel i7 920
OCZ Platinum 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600
Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 1.5 TB
Acer X233Hbid 23" Widescreen
Samsung 22x SH-S223Q
Vista Premium SP1 64-bit
Thermalright Ultra 120 push/pull

All this plus keyboard and mouse comes out just under $1600 which is right at my budget. I'm planning on buying this within the next few days. If anyone has input or sees a potential problem please let me know. Any help is greatly appriciated.

Thanks.

**edit**

so ive had the computer build for about 5 days now. started OCing and got it up to 4Ghz. wasnt stable so i kept bumping it down till about 3.7 which was really nice and stable. today i booted it up and about 20mins in it crashes and says something about hardware failure. now my pc will not even boot. there is no output on the monitor so i dont know if its the vid card or the procssor or what. i reset cmos. and now im gonna start puling ram out. i have no idea what to do. can someone please help me out?

Last edited:
I suggest you to stay away from the Seagate Barracuda's, get a Samsung Spinpoint or a WD Caviar Black drive. The Barracuda's have been failing a lot.

As for the motherboard I would go for another one instead. The UD3R only has 4 RAM slots, and does not have 3x PCI-E. If I would be to buy a i7 build now I would go for the UD5, the X58-Extreme, DFI LanParty UT X58-T3eH6, Rampage II Extreme or the EVGA X58 SLI. These 5 are all solid boards, but more expensive than the board you chose. If you really are not able to dish out the extra cash then the UD3R will be fine, but keep in mind it has less slots than the other boards.

If you do not need the extra ram slots or PCI-E slots then the UD3R will be fine, but you said you were aiming for an upgradeable system.

EDIT: Come to think of it, the cheaper DFI LanParty DK X58-T3eH6 is a really solid choice, supports Crossfire and SLI, has 3x PCI-E and 6 RAM slots, and that almost the same price as the UD3R.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums! :welcome: As far as what you have listed, I agree with the above post. I use Samsung for hard drives as well, and no issues as of yet. If you build up from a solid motherboard you should be "future proof" for at least a few years depending what you use your PC for. Graphics cards are another story. Those seem to advance faster than CPU's. The RAM you choose is decent too, which will help a lot when OCing. :beer:

I suggest you to stay away from the Seagate Barracuda's, get a Samsung Spinpoint or a WD Caviar Black drive. The Barracuda's have been failing a lot.

As for the motherboard I would go for another one instead. The UD3R only has 4 RAM slots, and does not have 3x PCI-E. If I would be to buy a i7 build now I would go for the UD5, the X58-Extreme, DFI LanParty UT X58-T3eH6, Rampage II Extreme or the EVGA X58 SLI. These 5 are all solid boards, but more expensive than the board you chose. If you really are not able to dish out the extra cash then the UD3R will be fine, but keep in mind it has less slots than the other boards.

If you do not need the extra ram slots or PCI-E slots then the UD3R will be fine, but you said you were aiming for an upgradeable system.

EDIT: Come to think of it, the cheaper DFI LanParty DK X58-T3eH6 is a really solid choice, supports Crossfire and SLI, has 3x PCI-E and 6 RAM slots, and that almost the same price as the UD3R.

I agree about the HD, although supposedly the Seagate 1.5TB drive issues are past I'm still leery. The Caviar Black 1TB is a solid drive with great performance, or even a 640GB Caviar Black to save some money.

The DFI board is a nice choice, not certain how it will be for someone new to building though ;) DFI boards have lots of extra and possibly confusing options. But I don't know the details on it and whether a lot of stuff can be left 'atuo' for oc'ing.

Thanks for the input guys. Gonna get the 1TB Caviar Black, but I'm gonna stick with the UD3R this time around. I'm ordering everything today. I'll keep you guys updated on the build and OCing once it comes in.

well it loks like it was the ram. i pulled 2 out and it booted up perfectly. then i started putting them back 1 by one. it seems like all 3 are good now. anyone know why this happened?

Back