• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just flashed Neo2 Platinum to 1.9b8 bios!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Osirus said:
I can easly post and run fully stable at 9x300... I have the Neo2, with the 1.8 bios, I was using the 1.3mod version prior, I have the 3000+ Winchester chip, and I have been able to reach as high as 2.8 (9x312).

I guess that limb just broke. I did not know 2x512mb TCCDs would run Prime95 stable at 300 Mhz in dual channel. Curious though if you can run 300 stable, why run at 289?

Hoot

rseven said:
...snip...BTW, some said the dfi nf3 boards were being recalled. Is that true?

Depends upon how you interpret Mandarin Chinese. Some emails received from DFI tech support seem to be saying to RMA the board to have hardware issues (unspecified) corrected unless you have the Rev. B version of this board. One issue is an SMD resistor that needs to either have its value changed or else just remove it. What other hardware issues that are addressed in RMA'ing remain a bit ambiguous as of last night.

Hoot

Hoot said:
I guess that limb just broke. I did not know 2x512mb TCCDs would run Prime95 stable at 300 Mhz in dual channel. Curious though if you can run 300 stable, why run at 289?

Hoot

Well I cant post at 300mhz 1:1, but I can at 289mhz 1:1, I dont notice that much of a differnce from 2.6ghz to 2.7ghz.

I'd give up a few mhz for tighter timing any day.

Well, after wrestling with a DFI LP NF3 Ultra-D for the past 29 days (30 day warranty) I'm about to shut're down and swap the Neo2 Platinum back in. The DFI is going back to Mwave for a refund. Word on the street is DFI is already making a Rev B version of that board, to be available at the dealers soon and I'm not in the mood to be the proud owner of an orphaned first release motherboard. So, next time you hear from me, I'll be back on the Neo2. When I left, the best bios available for my particular setup was still 1.8, so I'm looking forward to playing with 1.9b8.

Hoot

I used the version 1.4b mod or something to that effect, Im trying to get a higher end CPU to get more ghz and to be able to push the "LE's" a little farther. I havent had a single problem with my Neo2, and I bought it days after it came out.

Well, I'm back up. Had a lot of fine soldering to re-implement my external thermal diode reader and also had to drain the system to install my new Storm G5, which has been sitting since the day after I got the DFI card. I did not want to mess with it until I got the problems with the DFI board resolved.

Now to get up the nerve to flash 1.9b8 or 1.9b8mod

Hoot

Hoot said:
Well, I'm back up. Had a lot of fine soldering to re-implement my external thermal diode reader and also had to drain the system to install my new Storm G5, which has been sitting since the day after I got the DFI card. I did not want to mess with it until I got the problems with the DFI board resolved.

Now to get up the nerve to flash 1.9b8 or 1.9b8mod

Hoot

Please let me how it goes and the method you used for flashing as i am trying to pick up the courage myself as my board wont go past 245 at any settings

Hoot -

i saw your posts you made over at the german msi site.
and i agree seems that your Diode mod is blocking you from entering the bios.

here are my results with the 1.8bios.

for some reason, many of the Venice's or so i am told. wont run HIGH htt levels unless you run the cpu multi at 8x.

my 3200+ Venice @ 10x = 270HTT 200mhz (my ram wont go higher with only 2.85v my DDR Booster is coming next week)
my 3200+ Venice @ 8x = 320HTT 166mhz

yes you saw that correctly 320mhz HTT i havent even tried going higher yet for the simple fact that 8x320 = 2.5ghz. nor have i tried 133mhz. why would i ? performance would just blow a$$.
so why would i run such a high HTT setting and low CPU multi when i can run 10x multi and 270mhz HTT 1:1 ? the performance at 1:1 and 2.7ghz is way way better.

ill update my sig to reflect my hardware.

V_LESTAT said:
Hoot -

i saw your posts you made over at the german msi site.
and i agree seems that your Diode mod is blocking you from entering the bios.

here are my results with the 1.8bios.

for some reason, many of the Venice's or so i am told. wont run HIGH htt levels unless you run the cpu multi at 8x.

my 3200+ Venice @ 10x = 270HTT 200mhz (my ram wont go higher with only 2.85v my DDR Booster is coming next week)
my 3200+ Venice @ 8x = 320HTT 166mhz

yes you saw that correctly 320mhz HTT i havent even tried going higher yet for the simple fact that 8x320 = 2.5ghz. nor have i tried 133mhz. why would i ? performance would just blow a$$.
so why would i run such a high HTT setting and low CPU multi when i can run 10x multi and 270mhz HTT 1:1 ? the performance at 1:1 and 2.7ghz is way way better.

ill update my sig to reflect my hardware.

Yes, thank goodness for Murdok. He provided me with a version of the 1.9b8 bios with the CPU overtemp protection disabled by default as opposed to enabled by default. I'm up and playing with 1.9b8 now. I gotta say, the level of expertise at the German MSI forums eclipses that at the MSI Global forums.

Hoot

rseven said:
Hoot, are you still unable to enter the bios by pressing delete at boot up, or this now fixed?

With the modded version of 1.9b8 that Murdok made for me, I can now enter bios setup just fine.

Hoot

Hoot said:
With the modded version of 1.9b8 that Murdok made for me, I can now enter bios setup just fine.

Hoot

i cant get passed 240 which is leaving me frustrated, how is that new bios, which method did you use to flash it, and where can i get a copy as my 3800+ surely can do more than 240

Actually, I've come across an even better modded 1.9b8 done by the Need For Mhz (NFM) group. I downloaded it from Here . I just installed it and it works fine at defaults on my system, so it's not like some "Amateur Hour" hack. How well it does with improving my overclock remains to be seen. I'm going to start playing with it when I'm done catching up on my emails this evening. I hope to be Priming tonight. I know with the "Plain Vanilla" 1.9b8, I could run 9x300 and 5:6 (250 Mhz) 2.5-3-3-7-1T Prime95 Torture Large FFTs until the cows came home, but if I tried Prime95 Torture Blend, which is more memory intensive, it only lasted about an hour and a half. So, that'll be my starting point to see if this NFM version does anything for my TCCD sticks.

Important!

As with any beta bios, use at your own risk. I'm out on a limb with it and you'll be no different.

I use Winflash 1.76 to flash the last few bios' and they've gone fine. No need to use the cumbersome RamDrive method that MSI recommends unless you're in a situation where you can't get into Windows reliably. This should not need saying, but always flash bios' with you settings very conservative. I do and so far, I've never pooched my Eprom, knock on wood

Hoot

Edit: Here's a link to the readme.txt for that NFM 1.9b8 bios.

Back