• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8400 @ 4.5GHz Realistic 24/7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I7's, yeah that's what I figured.

As far as I7 performance is considered, there is very little benchmarking information wrt CPU in Trainz 2009. The app appears to be single threaded. On my current E6850, I set the app to use just one core and there is no difference in performance. When Trainz is CPU limited, it's performance is very similar to SuperPI.

10% came from SuperPI benchmarks from this review at HardOCP: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTU3NiwsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0 From the HiperPI numbers, an I7 @3.2 completed the benchmark in 12.75s. A Core2 Quad @3.2 did it in 14.35s. Hence the I7 arch. clock for clock was 11.1% faster than the Core arch. Thus I'm guessing about a 10% increase for an I7 in Trainz 2009. About the only way I will know for sure is after I've dumped the $1200+, so this does not sound appealing. Not to mention, $1200 for 10% is not worth it.

The more I read about the Gigabyte board, the more I like it. I hear you about the E8600. I've done well in the past with overclocking top end processors. The E8600 is $270 at the Egg. I can get an E0 E8400 for $162. I don't know if it is worth the extra $110. I'm thinking I may be better off saving that for a future graphics card update.

In this Anandtech review http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3508&p=6 they got an E8600 to 4.4G on Air and 5.0G on water. Results like that make me want to rethink using water, although the Freezone Elite they used looks very pricey.

-Mike
and guantam got his e8600 over 6ghz... :p

I was able to get 500fsb stable with my IP35-E and 2 sticks of ram, I only switched to an Asus P5K-E so I could use 4 sticks. There is also a beta bios available for E0 support but not from the US Abit site.

Running 4.4ghz stable on my C0, although my voltage is a bit higher than most want to take it.

Im hoping my testing goes well and puts this fear of voltage away!

is it p95 stable at 4.4 ?
as i have same mb as you ...
can you please wrote your bios settings from oc tab?

Well, we'll see how it goes. It turns out a coworker wanted to upgrade his HTPC so I was able to sell the E6850 and IP35-E. Picked up a GA-EP45-UD3P from Fry's for $131 after rebate incl. tax. Also picked up an E8400 E0 from Microcenter for $162 after tax. I got $150 for my old stuff, so for $143 I figure it's worth the risk even if I only get to 4G which appears to be a given with these E0 parts.

Thank you for the replies. I'll post about how well it goes.

-Mike

Well, out of the box experience has been good other than breaking off a SATA power connector on my hot swap SATA rack:bang head. What moron designed these connectors anyway?:mad: In 25 years of messing with this stuff I've never broken off one of those 4 pin molexes. I guess I'm lucky it wasn't a hard drive. I

Board powered right up and I was able to re-use my XP install from the IP-35. I'm already Priming at 4.05:D FSB is 450. I upped the voltage to 1.4 right away. I want to find the top end and then work down.

Thanks for all the help. This is the fourth system I've put together based on the advice here over the years. All of them have been great and this one is off to a good start.

-Mike

Glad to hear man, always good to hear the positive stories :) I've built.... countless systems from over the years here, everyone gives out great advise and all the itches to build even more systems.

my asus p5q pro and e8400 is super easy to get at 4Ghz cpu ...
because .. if you left everything on auto in bios .. just rise fsb at 445-447Mhz .. board automaticly rise vcore and i think other voltages .. (i think because i can't read them).

But for me problem is above 450-460Mhz FSB. Whatever i set .. i can't make it p95 stable. :/

Just a little progress report. I was impatient this morning and just set everything to auto and set the FSB to 500x9 = 4.5G. Memory at DDR2-1000 5:5:5:15 2.1V. Booted right into windows. Prime95 passed for 10 minutes before bombing out. Temps were high (70-74), perhaps due to the crappy TIM I used as I couldn't find my good stuff.

More importantly, the results of testing TS2009 were very satisfying. 25FPS to 30 FPS, a solid 20% and I ran it for about 2 hours with no issues. As expected, the performance is scaling with CPU and parallels SuperPI performance. Thus, the I7 would have been a bust. TS2009 appears to be a classic single threaded app that won't benefit from the new I7 features. It's not going to respond to the I7 like Farcry 2 does.

In the past I've always gone for P95 stability, but I might skip that if all I use this machine for is this and other games. I've got my laptop and another P95 stable machine for real work.

The auto CPU voltages on this board seem very high. With everything set to auto and the FSB set to 500MHz, this is what the board did for me:
CPU PLL 1.85
CPU TERM 1.60
CPU REF 0.75
CPU Vcore 1.45

DRAM Voltage 2.1
DRAM Term 0.9
CHA REF 0.9
CHB REF 0.9

MCH Core 1.4
MCH/DRAM REF 0.9
MCH REF 0.65
ICH IO 1.5
ICH Core 1.1

Oh well, It's time to get serious about this and get the voltages/temps more reasonable.

-Mike

My existing IP35-E is a question mark. To reach 4.5G would take an FSB of 500MHz. Can I expect the IP35-E to handle that FSB? Also, I don't know if the E0 stepping is supported.

My IP35-E would not do 500 fsb with 4 sticks, but with 2 I hit roughly 510 or so.

Actually, the high FSBTerm will kill it faster than higher PLL BUT if you read over at XS, a guy ran his dual core chip for a couple months w/ 1.6v+ vcore, 1.8+ PLL and 1.6+ FSBTerm w/out any degredation noticed (before he had to kill his experiment).

Im still holding to the fact that these chips hold up quite well and the higher voltages dont hurt them as bad as peopel say. I know it does shorten the life, but Id bet you can still get atleast 2 years (upgrade time!).

Well see how it goes, hopefully I dont eat my words running 1.51v :D

Does anybody know off hand guidelines for safe E8400 voltages? I'm search through the forums now, but if anybody knows them offhand it would be appreciated.

In the meantime, I'm going back to a more traditional sane and safe approach. I've got 10 min P95 stability @ 3.75GHz/417 FSB with bone stock voltages:

CPU PLL 1.5
CPU TERM 1.2
CPU Reference 0.76
CPU Vcore 1.25

By 10 minute P95 stability I mean I ran P95 blend for 10 minutes without error and then quit to try the next settings.

So, I'm already ahead of where I was with the E6850. It took 1.4975V go get this speed out of that chip. This one can do it with only 1.25V.

My plan is to keep going up with 10 minute P95 runs and then adjust from there.

-Mike

1.85v cpu pll :eek:

i dont use more then 1.6, i dont think theres any real need to, unlless you use more then 1.6 vcore :D

I have found that w/ 4.4ghz on my C0, its not technically fully "stable" according to Prime95, however nothing crashes.

Ive been running it for a bit now without issues, computer on 24/7. Left 4 Dead doesnt even crash (which would previously crash @ 4ghz w/out a slight voltage bump, although prime could run forever w/out error).

Prime is overrated. I can go through prime for over an hour before something comes up, but I have NO issues running any programs/multitasking on my computer. Ill take it :)

For what it is worth, the following is from the E8400 data sheet which you can get from developer.intel.com:

Absolute Maximum Core Voltage Vcc is 1.45V
Absolute Maximum FSB Term Voltage Vtt is 1.45V

Generally speaking, one should never exceed or run long term at ABS MAX ratings. Traditionally they mean exceeding them will immediately destroy the device. With the marketing considerations of overclocking, the meaning here is more muddled, but one can say with good authority that is is not a good idea to exceed these and probably even better to stay below them. How much, who knows?

For VPLL, the recommended operating conditions is 1.5V +/ 0.075V so 1.425V to 1.575V should be perfectly acceptable as this is not an ABS MAX rating.

VccPLL does not appear to have a specified ABS MAX rating. According to the data sheet, the max possible core VID is 1.3625V The percentage increase from that to ABS max is 10%, thus one could estimate that the max VPLL is 1.575 + 10% which is 1.7325V. Note that this little more than an educated wild a$$ guess. However, 1.575V VPLL long term should present no issues.

The other point one can get from this is while the auto overclock functions are cool for going from start to 4.5G suicide runs, they really, really crank up the voltages. The tried and true method of starting at stock and creeping up from below is still quite valid.

-Mike

Doz .. i ask you ones .. can you pls wrote a bios settings for your 4.4ghz setup.

I have found that w/ 4.4ghz on my C0, its not technically fully "stable" according to Prime95, however nothing crashes.

Ive been running it for a bit now without issues, computer on 24/7. Left 4 Dead doesnt even crash (which would previously crash @ 4ghz w/out a slight voltage bump, although prime could run forever w/out error).

Prime is overrated. I can go through prime for over an hour before something comes up, but I have NO issues running any programs/multitasking on my computer. Ill take it :)

Prime95 results are valid. If Prime95 fails, it is a real processor failure. I would not do high value work on a machine that fails P95.

On the other hand, for a gaming rig all that really matters is it does not crash.

It all really boils down to the value of the "work" on the machine and the penalty for loosing/corrupting the data on it. High penalty, make it pass P95, low penalty, screw P95, just get it stable enough. These days, it's quite affordable to have a game machine and work machine, especially if the work machine can get by with a cheap video card.

-Mike

Ill get bios settings later, gotta run right now.

If all I fail is Prime95 w/ no crashes? Is there really any dataloss corruption? I dont think so. And Im more in a testing run of my CPU (trying to kill it infact, hence the high overclock vcore).

Ive seen people who can pass prime for 24 hours but their games crash. Prime is only 1 stability test, and I believe its not a true representation of stable. Just my thoughts though.

Back