• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator/Heatercore + Science (barbs should be at bottom?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v3x

Registered
It alot of set ups i see, the radiator or heater core or whatever has the barbs on the top, or the rad/hc is mounted on its side. Would the most "efficient" set up have the fins above the barbs (so barbs are on the bottom), because heat rises? Im kind of confused about this.

It doesnt make much difference temperature wise, maybe 1C.
But positioning of rad helps in priming the system, it will be easier to get rid of bubbles if the barbs are on top.

It won't have any affect on temps. Heat doesn't leave through the top or bottom of the radiator in any noticeably different fashion. With the barbs on bottom, you'll have a more difficult time bleeding the system of air.

Yeah In a way it's kind of similar to the old "order of components" idea people used to have where you need to put the rad before the blocks and the pump after, that way the coolest part of the loop comes just as the water is entering the the block to cool your cpu. Evidence has shown that such things are not nearly as important as overall layout. Things like the order of components or the orientation of them (ie: rad>core>pump or rad inlets on the bottom instead of the top) are not as important as a good overall layout, one that lets you bleed the loop effectively and has a minimum of sharp turns in the tubing to prevent kinks or impede flow. It's also nice to not have to have the dexterity of a microsurgeon just to be able to move a jumper on your mobo because your tubes are in the way.

v3x said:
It alot of set ups i see, the radiator or heater core or whatever has the barbs on the top, or the rad/hc is mounted on its side. Would the most "efficient" set up have the fins above the barbs (so barbs are on the bottom), because heat rises? Im kind of confused about this.
Yes you are.
First of all, heat does not rise. Heat dissipates in all directions. But, when the temperature if a liquid changes, it's density changes. The change in density causes he liquid to rise (if warmer) or fall (if cooler).

In a watercooling system, the pump causes the water to flow so fast that the effect of density has no noticable effect on overall flow rates. It has an effect, but that effect is so small that it is inconsequential.

Or am I misunderstanding your question?

Help me with my order!

Ok thanks everyone, im just wondering how i should set my loop up, i want to use a T-line.

These are my components

Pump
Cpu Block
T-line
Hard Drive Cooler block
Radiator

Im thinking something like this.. what would you guys suggest, eventually i think i will be adding a vga block but i think for that i may need another or larger radiator. This is just for now though.

Pump > T- Line > Radiator > HD Block > CPU Block > Pump

If I'm reading you correctly you want to put the t-line right after the pump. Usually the best place for the t-line is right before the pump. it will make filling the system a lot easier than putting it after.

i thinks thats what i meant haha, ill make a drawing

like this

flowff8.jpg

Last edited:
if you could though in the loop after the rad i would put the cpu first then the hd, that is if you can.

Evilsizer said:
if you could though in the loop after the rad i would put the cpu first then the hd, that is if you can.

Potentially avoiding pressure drop is the only reason I can think of changing his layout. Otherwise, temperatures won't be affected.

v3x said:

That would depend on the setup of your loop as a whole. How large is your rad? Can you get all the air out of the loop with the barbs on top? etc. etc. etc.

eobard said:
If I'm reading you correctly you want to put the t-line right after the pump. Usually the best place for the t-line is right before the pump. it will make filling the system a lot easier than putting it after.

That is definitely good advice. You do not want air getting sucked into the pump through its intake and you need a nice water column right before the pump to take advantage of gravity to force feed water into the pump. If you want an easy way to airbleed a t-line setup without using a res, you can use a Y-fitting if you angle it correctly.

Last edited:
I changed my loop from Pump -> Rad -> CPU -> GPU Block -> Rad to Pump -> GPU -> CPU -> Rad -> Pump and I noticed no temperature change due to the setup swap. ( The Cascade gained me 1-2C over the 6002 however :) ).

Back