• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC powering off randomly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackdragon1186

Registered
So I think that my psu that's in my siggy is finally dying. What's happening is randomly it will just turn off. It doesn't matter if it's under a load or just idle. Thing is, the voltage is totally fine on all rails. +12v is showing around 12.4v. Is that too high for normal use? I've confirmed it's not heat from any component running.

Try assembling the board outside the case w/ only the bare essentials installed, and not attached to a motherboard tray.

12.4V for real (digital multimeter) or software readings? A real 12.4V is fine.

Most likely there's either a short between the motherboard and case (at a mounting hole or corner of the mobo), or the CPU heatsink isn't making good contact all over the CPU package.

mobo ran fine, in same case with another power supply. a much crappier, and older one at that. The mobo has not been removed since then either.

The 12.4v is with a dmm. I did remove and redo the heatsink. It is the stock amd sink. It's clean and running normally. This will do it with no heat, and I mean no heat. It was 58F in my house, and it was idleing for something like 20 mins and turned off. So heat is unlikely. I've also checked core temps both at idle and under load, using both hardware monitor and core temp.

Now, the 12v was never that high before. It was always steady at around 12.05-12.1v. Could this be a sign of it going out?

You may be right about the PSU being bad. I had assumed that Silverstones were built only with quality parts, but some reviews listed at http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page998.htm show Silverstoness built from 2009-2011 (the only ones I checked) containing Teapo capacitors, and Teapos are cheapos that don't last forever. About the only things that wear out in PSUs are fans and electrolytic capacitors. And while heat does age caps, the brands of caps matter so much more that high quality caps running hot will probably outlast low quality caps kept cool, if my 14-year-old Delta PSU is any indication (all original Japanese caps -- Rubycon, Chemicon, Nichicon).

Last edited:
Apparently it was made by Enhance (very good), a different company than the present models (High Power/Sirtec?), but still has cheapo Teapo capacitors:

st60f_inner.jpg

$15 of Japanese capacitors could restore this to like new condition and make it last another decade.

Mine did same, as no one told me wot wrong I found out hard way

It's a warning it's going to fail soon

You've gotten almost 8 years from manufacturing (based on '06 from OP's post), I would say its time for another whether its for sure the issue or not.

Just so happens that my old Silverstone Zeus ST56ZF 560W is doing exactly the same :( Ramdom shut down for no apparent reason.

I've had it for well over 5+ years so it's had a good run :D The hard thing is choosing a new one!

Back