• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best stuff to SHUT MY PC UP ? :-)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PixelMover

Okay, it's shiny.it's new, it's fast..but it's NOISY!!!

Please advice on the best stuff to keep the dang thing quiet..

I already have relatively quiet fans, but if you have a lot they are still loud..
Í've been experimenting with different types of material to line tha inside walls with, but so far no spectacular results..
I have about 1cm of space all around my case (sides, top, bottom, front and back) that can be insulated (or is it isolated??)relativly easy.. So what do you guys use ?

Thanks In advance !

nothing really, if you wanted a quiet system you should have gone with the laptops, I have one that is so quiet, with your ear to it you can't tell it's on:cool:

That foam stuff doesn't work, it only works on ****ty cases, usuaully if you have a quality case it will do that for ya (Antecs do it well)

Seriously? My laptop makes a 'buzzing' sound, all the time! Really annoying when it's the only thing on...plus the fan kicks in when I'm playing Max Payne or something...

Put rubber grommets on all the screws that attach the fans to your case. That prevents any vibrations caused by the fan from being amplified by the sheet metal of your box.

Just my $0.02

If you are a complete noise hater, and have a lot of time on your hands, build yourself a passive (no fans pumps etc) water cooling system to replace CPU fan, would need a large resevoir, big bore pipes, and a fairly good knowledege of convection.

Just to check, your machine isnt making grinding noise at all is it. If so check for wires in contact with fans, or you may just have defective fans which need replacing.

train22 said:
nothing really, if you wanted a quiet system you should have gone with the laptops, I have one that is so quiet, with your ear to it you can't tell it's on:cool:

That foam stuff doesn't work, it only works on ****ty cases, usuaully if you have a quality case it will do that for ya (Antecs do it well)

Well I have an Antec 1240 and it is a sweet case but the delta was killing me so I put Dynamat style sound deadening material and it works like a charm. downside it makes this monster heavier!

Sorry for the late reply, had some pc trouble :)

Well, the case is a Lian Li PC70usb server tower.
Since I was unable to go online for a while, I already have put in 'the foamy stuff' :) You know, the kind that looks like you can put eggs in it. Luckily the case is very big so there's room for it.
The foamy stuff muted it down a bit, but nothing spectacular.

I think the real noisemaers are the HSF (original in-a-box coolers for P3 , the square copper/gold colored type, with a fan inside) (oh, there's 2 of them, dual P3 1ghz)

But there are also 3 hd brackets , each with 2 smaller fans for the scsi drives, and the case has 2x 8x8cm in the front, sucking air in and 2x 8x8cm in the back, blowing air out. Most of the noise is coming from the back, but that is also near where the HSF are...

I'll try the rubber grommet thing on the case fans next, sounds sensible to me.
As for the noise level now...let's just say I can hear it in the other rooms, even with the doors closed.

And sure, laptops are nice and quiet (I have one too), but sadly they don't come with dual cpu's, 21" displays and u2w scsi raid array... However, I'm using it for quiet things like posting here :))

Thanks for the advice, everyone

train22 said:

I also own an Antec (ks-188) and was very annoyed with the amount of noise coming from inside it.
I also used Dynamat-style insulation and had excellent results. No more high-pitched HDD whine, and no more high-pitched fan noise (the moving air noise is still quite noticeable, but nowhere near as annoying as high pitched noises are to me).
On the other hand, my hard drives are only 5400 rpm models and I'm using a retail P3 HSF, 70 cfm 120mm, and 50 cfm 92mm... nowhere near the noise levels of a Delta, I'm sure.

If you're not sure about trying Dynamat-style insulation, you might as well. For $18 (shipped -- 12 ft^2) at McMaster-Carr, it's not too much of a financial blow if it fails to meet expectations.

Back