• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

geforce 2 heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

newbietweaker

Registered
im running my celeron 566@800 and i want more power
i have geforce2 and i took out the small factory fan and replaced with 3dfx fan. But i dont know how to take out the heatsink! i tried about everything.
please help

this video card is really hot about 2 times hotter than my cpu! what can i do to reduce my geforce temp?

Remove the holdown pins-screws.
Then use a razorblade or simular tool to pry the heatsink off.
Its usually stuck on pretty well, just take your time and work slowly.
Put some artic silver on the gpu and put a blue orb on it.
You should lap the orb before installing it thou as they are usually not very flat.

Placid (May 10, 2001 10:16 p.m.):
Remove the holdown pins-screws.
Then use a razorblade or simular tool to pry the heatsink off.
Its usually stuck on pretty well, just take your time and work slowly.
Put some artic silver on the gpu and put a blue orb on it.
You should lap the orb before installing it thou as they are usually not very flat.

this heatsink is just stuck on there. i dont see any holddownpins but i see white stuff between gpu and heatsink

Yes some are just "stuck on" depend on the video card mfg.
You will need to use superglue in the corners or artic or other thermal adhesive to put it back on so you better wait until you have some way to glue it back on before you remove it.

some of the GF2 heat sinks are glued on like yours you have to be careful prying it off but it can be done as Placid said. Theres more info in the tips section on the removal of the factory HSF I'm not happy about the blue orbs but they do work better then the factory one, but you can buy a larger HSF for half the price of a blue orb I went to a local pc store and they sold me a athlon proccesor HSF for 5 bucks [one that was'nt selling very well but works great for this project] and I cut it down to fit my chip lapped it glued it on like Placid said and it works great no complaints about it :)

One of the more successful ideas I've seen for removing glued or pasted heatsinks is to do the following:

1) Place your videocard in your freezer in a static bag (really, I'm serious) for about 1/2 an hour.
2) Remove the card from the freezer (the cold makes the paste/glue brittle)
3) GENTLY use a butternife or other prying device to pry the sink off the GPU
4) Be Careful, Be Careful, Be Careful - The GeForce 2 GPU is a .18micron GPU meaning, its very, very thin and easy to destroy.
5) If you can see the paste on any edge of your sink, use an exacto-knife (again, very carefully) to actually cut through the paste.
6) Anything you see here and you chose to do is at your own risk. Be careful and you should be fine.

Good Luck...Happy clockin'

Back