• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cable??? how do i connect??? noob

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chronic99

Registered
i got cable from NTL, comes from rj45 in my digital box, i ran thta to a cat5 into my bedroom into a rj45 and into network card, i know it connected as green light comes on,

But i dont know how to make a connect, cant do it like old modem, need to make it autoconnect(dont have ip as they didnt give one.), how do i do it. Thanks

Have you called the company to set it up? some companys need for you to call them with your nic card address and also they may need to configure your cable modem. I suggest you call the cable company and they should be able to help you out.

Sounds to me like you need to configure some more stuff

You have to set your NIC card to Obtain IP Address Automatically. This will allow you to get an IP from your cable provider's DHCP server. Second, you have to renew the IP on your NIC. To do this in Windows 2000, at a dos prompt, type:

ipconfig/renew

and it'll request an IP from the server

If you're in Win9x/ME, go Start, Run and type in:

winipcfg

Then click the renew all button.

I hope this works.

Back