• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Building PWM Controller for 4 wires PWM fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey Jason, Sorry to bug you on this, but how are the production PWM controllers coming along? I'd Love to guinea pig one in my bigger machine, as I have hundereds of different PWM fans, all different freq's and some even reverse pwm, some are picky and don't even work with mobo PWM, but do with a controller O_O

Hey Jason, Sorry to bug you on this, but how are the production PWM controllers coming along? I'd Love to guinea pig one in my bigger machine, as I have hundereds of different PWM fans, all different freq's and some even reverse pwm, some are picky and don't even work with mobo PWM, but do with a controller O_O

Prototype 1 finished, concept proven. Negotiating production numbers with a distributor. Patent pending on my specific code and circuit. Fully isolated from motherboard.

Oh... this won't help me sadly, I need a 3 Independent channel controller(and adjustable freq). And it has to hold 10 fans(all high amperage, however i could just splice the power to molex)

It was from some obscure data sheet I read for one of their products. Damn thing was half in mandarin.

The regulator you're looking at wastes energy as heat. You need to build a switching regulator for your purposes. A switching regulator doesn't waste energy as heat. The fan is inefficient enough with power as is. The quickest and easiest way is often the wrong way.

I need the unit to be DC powered. Every 48v switching psu I've looked up is AC/DC. Could you refer a unit to me to run off if a 12 volt DC source and be more efficient than what I have?

This??

That's pretty much what I have now, just without the aluminum housing. Judging by the heatsink-like enclosure I'd imagine this unit gets rather warm as does the boost converter I'm using. Jason was suggesting a switiching psu, which I can infer does not lose copious amounts of energy to heat..

That's pretty much what I have now, just without the aluminum housing. Judging by the heatsink-like enclosure I'd imagine this unit gets rather warm as does the boost converter I'm using. Jason was suggesting a switiching psu, which I can infer does not lose copious amounts of energy to heat..

You need to build a small circuit with one of these. The data sheet has the instructions for the circuit.

That is a switching regulator, it's a boost regulator. The real question is whether it can put out that many ams with a 12v input.

That is a switching regulator, it's a boost regulator. The real question is whether it can put out that many ams with a 12v input.

Yea, it can power the fan at full speed quite effortlessly, drawing about 9.81 amps from the 12 volt supply.

Last edited:
I did it :D . Its my first breadboard, so it ain't pretty... but is sure as heck works!
555_311_controller.jpg

Thats the only thing that matter, congrats ! :clap:

Did you try it on your beast THA1248BE ? What a crazy & brute fan you got there. :attn:

Shoot & share the video here when its controlled by that circuit, please.

No prob, I'll get the video up when I get home from work tomorrow. Thanks for the schematic once again!

Update:

I mounted the controller and 12-48 volt booster in a box, and added an LED power indicator and a small yet powerful 40mm 12v fan to cool the power supply.

20131104_215030_1.jpg

20131104_215424_1.jpg

You seem pretty handy with electronics so far. You should make a microchip based controller for more accurate control signal frequency. It's a super fun project and will teach you a lot.

Update:

I mounted the controller and 12-48 volt booster in a box, and added an LED power indicator and a small yet powerful 40mm 12v fan to cool the power supply.

20131104_215424_1.jpg

you even put a little screamer on the box :clap:

does it another 4 wire fan :drool:

Back