• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom PWM Controller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkade

Hello. I'm starting a new project here. What i plan on doing is modifying my Tower again for cooling. Tower is the Antec DF-85. I Am removing all the 120mm fans and replacing them with Delta AFB1212SH-PWM's. Side fan is going to be my PFC1212DE-PWM -T8SH. CPU Fan will remain my DBX-B. The stock Antec case fans are known for dying very fast. Fun part, the fans are PWM. I am building a PWM controller copying bings 556 schematic. It will be 3 controllers set up as 1. Front 3, 2. Back 2, 3 The Side delta. The special part, because i love switching between both my PFC1212DE and my Sayno Denki 9SG1212P1G01, i'm building the 3rd channel at 16Khz. The delta is rated to function between 30Hz and 30Khz, so it shouldn't be an issue(even though delta reccomends 25). I ordered parts today and started making all the cables. The PFC is going to draw power from the Molex rails and the AFB's will draw from the PWM controller using two floppy style power connectors. So far, i have made all 6 cables, and made one with a TACH wire for the side Delta. The Top 140MM fans are getting blue LED's to match my Intel DBX-B and my Asus P6T(to bad the GTX 570 is red, and the Corsair kit i have is red too. may do a different ram kit.) I am going to mount the PCB's in a broken CD drive case using the front Cd drive bay cover to hold the POT's. This may be very fun. I will start posting pics tomarrow when i get back tommarrow. First time posting here, hope we all get along :D

Last edited:
Parts are coming along. Will start posting pics when I get back to the lab tomarrow. Decided I'm going to even make my own PCB. Waiting for my 9SG1212P1G01 to get back from Sayno, my last one exploded into a massive ball of fire.

Parts are coming along. Will start posting pics when I get back to the lab tomarrow. Decided I'm going to even make my own PCB. Waiting for my 9SG1212P1G01 to get back from Sayno, my last one exploded into a massive ball of fire.

the pic of a friend Denki would be nice as a starter :chair:

the pic of a friend Denki would be nice as a starter :chair:

I second this motion... Provided that when inVain wrote "friend" he really meant "fried". :)

I'd like to see how a Denky like that one looks after it has exploded. I'm only curious because the two that I bought over a year ago are still running strong (one with me and one at BNova's place)... :)

Actually invain, This fan is surprisingly strong. The fire ball lasted about half a second. Didn't even melt the fans rotor. The frame is aluminum so that didn't melt. if you want to see damage, i'd have to 1. Still own the fan, set back to Sayno with RMA, 2. pull it apart to get to the PCB backside where the damage occurred. and sorry, pics won't be here for a couple more days. I Could post pictures When the Delta AFB1212SH's arrive, or my God PFC1212DE that magically kicks the Sanyo's a$$? Couple of days ago, this fan scared me by hitting speeds of 6,400 RPM on 12v? it's rated only to 5,500 RPM. I Think something just wasn't right there. Anyways, I'll have some Pics soon as i'm done with "other" things.

Hey, Does anyone know about bing's 556 Timer Design? he used a 470pf instead of a 680 pf. In Nidecs Schematic i get about 20Khz. Bing says his produces 25 Khz with the 470 PF and produces 16Khz with a 680 pf? Is this correct? Also Will be posting my PCB Layout today.

Well Got some Pics. Not of the Controller Yet, but of the fan installation. I Start the PCB tomarrow(Finished designing it :D)

Here's the pics!

DBX Install With AFB's DELE.jpg
AFB's.JPG
And my now Dead Sayno
Sayno DELE.jpg

Well, not going to be doing the PCB. Way to many issues as i don't have the tools and cash for it. Going back to Cheapo RadioShack protoboards. Will Post progress tomarrow. also will be attaching the link to the PCB for anyone who wants to make it, board dimensions should fit most CD Drive cases.

Back