• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

two chip cards and vram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
lets take a titan gpu, two gpus on a single card, if you get one with 10 gigs of vram and it only uses 5 of that 10 gigs like sli and crossfire do, what would be the advantage of all the vram?

Titan only has one GPU for starters... Are you talking about the Titan Z?

...Titan Z has a total of 12GB of ram on it supposedly. 6GB for each GPU. Same as two Titans. All that ram is there for high resolution gaming or productivity (rendering/etc).

Last edited:
ok, the titan-z, or what ever.
you have 10 gigs of vram right?
it only uses 5 gigs right?
my question is, if it only uses 5 gigs of vram why have the 10 gigs and what good does the other 5 gigs do?

ok, the titan-z, or what ever.
you have 10 gigs of vram right?
it only uses 5 gigs right?
my question is, if it only uses 5 gigs of vram why have the 10 gigs and what good does the other 5 gigs do?
The same thing that vram does in a 2 physical card setup... the data on one set of the 6GB is mirrored on the other.

Currently, that is how SLI/CFx works. :thup:

I can understand that, so what happens in an sli/crossfire setup if i were to use a 4 gig card in slot one and a 2 gig card in slot two?
would it only use 2 gigs of ram due to the mirroring onto card #2?

logang, I am trying to get my head wrapped around this stuff, good thought you have, why cant they let one of the chips use all the vram?

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume it's cheaper to slap 2 pcb's together, connect for sli/xfire, and throw a heatsink on than to rework an entire card to do such.

I can understand that, so what happens in an sli/crossfire setup if i were to use a 4 gig card in slot one and a 2 gig card in slot two?
would it only use 2 gigs of ram due to the mirroring onto card #2?

logang, I am trying to get my head wrapped around this stuff, good thought you have, why cant they let one of the chips use all the vram?
You wouldn't be able to do that I dont think. I believe vram sizes have to match. If not, you would only be able to use the 2GB of the 4GB card, correct.

Its not in the 'cards' yet caddi... it will soon (next gen or two?)... supposedly. :thup:

If it's a card with dual Gpu's on it, the stated gb of VRAM stated is usually 2 * X gb. So for the Titan Z it's 2 * 6 gb, same as if you crossfired/Sli'd 2 discrete cards. The Vram does not get added together or multiplied by 2 however you may look at it. It's X gb per card, therefore it cannot be looked at as 12 gb of VRAM.

On this subject, maybe one of you can answer this. Say I have a single 3gb Gpu and I play a game and it's using 2 1/2 gb of Vram on the one Gpu. If I crossfire/sli the gpu with another matching gpu will the 2 1/2 gb of Vram used be spread across the 2 cards, therefore only use 1 1/4 gb of ram per card?

Nope. As mentioned above the data on one set of vram is mirrored on the other. So it would be 2.5GB for each.

when I open oc guru to clock my cards oc guru shows my vram clock as 6008, gpu-z shows 1500 or so, being gddr5 vram shouldn't it show 1201? (6008 divided by 5).

"quad" is 4, "pumped"?
four channel, four lanes, four sticks like on the motherboard,what does that mean?

It means the frequency is quadrupled, so technically both OC Guru and GPUz are correct. Like how for normal DDR, the clock is doubled, so 1600MHZ ram is actually getting an 800MHZ clock. With GDDR5, if the RAM is receiving a 1500mhz clock, it's then bumped up to 6000mhz.

I can kind of get my mind around that.
I assume it's just like ddr in other respects also, has timings, but we dont get to see or adjust them.

Back