• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seti@Home Computation error on AMD FX-8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blamauci

Registered
Hi guys long time no post. :)

Broken computers are the worst xD.(having no money doesn't make it any easier)

Today I decided to go back and do some folding for the overclockers team on my new rig :)

So I installed BOINC and added my Seti details. All nice, Now it starts to complete some WU's and gives them all the computation error at the end. Im seriously worried about that because my system is still @ stock on this new rig.
Running on W8 Pro x64
anyone can shed some light on this error? is this something i should worry about?

http://puu.sh/2I8Dl.png screenshot off all the errored WU's I already have accumolated

Last edited:
I see why you are concerned. An occasional error is not unusual, but that is quite a pile of errors.

I would suggest running some system tests to see if we can narrow down the hardware problem. I would start by running memtest86 to see if your system is throwing memory errors.

8 GB Team Elite DDR3 1333(2x4GB and 4 GB ADATA XMS Gaming Series 1333mhz(2x2GB)
This may be the cause of your issue, running 2 different types of memory can cause issues. As Eagle pointed out try running memtest and see if you're getting errors.

This may be the cause of your issue, running 2 different types of memory can cause issues. As Eagle pointed out try running memtest and see if you're getting errors.

This memory never had problems when I ran it with a Phenom 2. the memory kit's other than brand aren't that different. they run on the same 9-9-9-24-1T 1.5v

Anyway i will be doing what I am supposed to and give some CPU-z screenshots.

http://puu.sh/2IIK3.jpg(contains all the CPU-z tabs including 2x SPD for the different memory kits excluding the GPU tab

I had Boinc running the entire night. All WU's have failed :(
Computer did not freeze or anything.

I would use memtest if I didn't already know this memory is stable it has survived 24 hours off memtest just a week ago when I was testing the rig when building it together.(the memory is a remnant off my old rig where it worked perfectly fine too for about 2 years it even allowed for some overclocking)

I ran a couple off hours off Prime95 25.11 64bit yesterday and it didn't give problems either. heat was kind off an issue in this case though. My old case was a lot cooler(Cooler Master CM690)

Last edited:
So you have already run memtest on this setup for 24hours without issue and you passed a couple of hours of prime "blend torture test" without an issue?

So you have already run memtest on this setup for 24hours without issue and you passed a couple of hours of prime "blend torture test" without an issue?

Basicly yes. This rig has been build with some remnant from my old rig. so it had to be tested before it was put in use.

blamauci, I'm trying to get as specific as possible to try and help you. Basically doesn't give me specific answers. Was the memory tested on this motherboard with this cpu in this configuration? Reason being is, when I switched to the 8350 my M5A99X- EVo was setting my Cpu NB Voltage a bit low and it was causing stability issues for me.

blamauci, I'm trying to get as specific as possible to try and help you. Basically doesn't give me specific answers. Was the memory tested on this motherboard with this cpu in this configuration? Reason being is, when I switched to the 8350 my M5A99X- EVo was setting my Cpu NB Voltage a bit low and it was causing stability issues for me.

Yes I put together the pc in this configuration installed windows 8 and put it through a torture test first. then memtest. So yes it was tested with this mobo cpu and memory

Thanks, it sounds more like an issue with the program then with the computer. Though, I know some people running F@H find that they need to add a little more CPU V core in order to be stable, even if it's been stable using prime95.

Thanks, it sounds more like an issue with the program then with the computer. Though, I know some people running F@H find that they need to add a little more CPU V core in order to be stable, even if it's been stable using prime95.

So basicly you are saying up the vcore a notch and maybe try to up the cpu-nb vcore a notch too? and then check if it works then. and report back

Well I don't know much about seti but I have seen cases where people require more cpu v core when trying to run F@H even when they have their system stable using prime95. I would try that first then maybe the Cpu Nb, what are you running the NB Frequency at?

Well I don't know much about seti but I have seen cases where people require more cpu v core when trying to run F@H even when they have their system stable using prime95. I would try that first then maybe the Cpu Nb, what are you running the NB Frequency at?

Its @ 1.21 volts i believe and cpu voltage is 1.35 volts at this moment.

what version of BOINC were you running at the time these WU's were downloaded?
upgrading to BOINC 7.0.64 with WU's downloaded from a previous version can cause issues.

what version of BOINC were you running at the time these WU's were downloaded?
upgrading to BOINC 7.0.64 with WU's downloaded from a previous version can cause issues.

I was using the newest version off boinc. and it was a fresh installation of windows and boinc. Anyway I found out the problem pretty much this is AMD's fault. the FX8350 just gets too hot. even when not overclocked my coolermaster V8 cannot handle the sucker when folding. I had it running a few nights ago when I saw in OpenHardwareMonitor my CPU temps reaching 80 degrees celcius. Maybe AMD should not lie and tell people this is a 125Watt TDP processor when it actually makes way more heat and draws way more power. It didnt draw 125W it drew 144Watts.

Still that should not be a problem. And it never has been in my old PC case.(CM690) but in this newer smaller lesser featured case(Thermaltake Commander MS-I) that is a definite issue. When feeling the back grill on the case after a bunch off load its so hot you can't hold it for more than 2 seconds. Mounting a fan sucking air from below the case didnt help and neither did mounting a front fan. This case just has really bad airflow and cannot keep my 8350 stable even on stock speeds while folding. That's too bad. :bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head

I have really no idea how to tackle this issue. My V8 should be sufficient since it's rated a 180Watt cooler. But I really think it's the pc case holding it back. Also I found out there is almost no way of getting Closed water cooling in this case since the fanholes at the top off the case will not fit a 240mm rad. it wont even fit 2x120mm even though the box advertised it. I tried installing them but they wont fit when the motherboard is installed. just too little room. I am all out of options.(not entirely true can always install everything into my CM690 again but that case is really banged up xD):bang head:bang head

I was using the newest version off boinc. and it was a fresh installation of windows and boinc. Anyway I found out the problem pretty much this is AMD's fault. the FX8350 just gets too hot. even when not overclocked my coolermaster V8 cannot handle the sucker when folding. I had it running a few nights ago when I saw in OpenHardwareMonitor my CPU temps reaching 80 degrees celcius. Maybe AMD should not lie and tell people this is a 125Watt TDP processor when it actually makes way more heat and draws way more power. It didnt draw 125W it drew 144Watts.

Still that should not be a problem. And it never has been in my old PC case.(CM690) but in this newer smaller lesser featured case(Thermaltake Commander MS-I) that is a definite issue. When feeling the back grill on the case after a bunch off load its so hot you can't hold it for more than 2 seconds. Mounting a fan sucking air from below the case didnt help and neither did mounting a front fan. This case just has really bad airflow and cannot keep my 8350 stable even on stock speeds while folding. That's too bad. :bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head

I have really no idea how to tackle this issue. My V8 should be sufficient since it's rated a 180Watt cooler. But I really think it's the pc case holding it back. Also I found out there is almost no way of getting Closed water cooling in this case since the fanholes at the top off the case will not fit a 240mm rad. it wont even fit 2x120mm even though the box advertised it. I tried installing them but they wont fit when the motherboard is installed. just too little room. I am all out of options.(not entirely true can always install everything into my CM690 again but that case is really banged up xD):bang head:bang head
At stock clocks that Heatsink should be able to handle that 8350, are you sure it's mounted correctly? What are your ambient temps?

Do you have all the fan slots filled on that case? According to newegg it only comes with one fan in the back but can add three more 1 in the front, bottom and top. If you're only using the original fan and no add ons The V8 will be suffocating in hot air. Add to that a board that's going to heat up as well and I can see you having issues with it.

Do you have all the fan slots filled on that case? According to newegg it only comes with one fan in the back but can add three more 1 in the front, bottom and top. If you're only using the original fan and no add ons The V8 will be suffocating in hot air. Add to that a board that's going to heat up as well and I can see you having issues with it.

Currently there is a 120 mm fan in the front the back and the bottom so 3 120mm fans and the coolermaster V8. The advertised top fan will not be able to fit. there are 2 fan mounting holes at the top for 120mm fans. but the case has just too little clearance to fit them. believe me I tried and I believe I already said that in the last post I made:bang head I think Thermaltake had an oversight here:cry:

The heatsink is properly seated. I have installed it a couple off times in other cases already and with different CPU's. Also before installing it in the new case I used a can with air to get most off the dust of it.:thup: BTW of course I used new TIM xD btw it was Artic MX-4 I believe.

Its seated with nuts. and I used the cross technique to set them like i have always done.

http://puu.sh/2Lshb.png This are the temps I am getting at ambient. I think its about 20-21 degrees Celsius in my room at the time. Computer is not doing much but the turbo core and cool and quiet are going haywire.

The advertised top fan will not be able to fit. there are 2 fan mounting holes at the top for 120mm fans. but the case has just too little clearance to fit them. believe me I tried and I believe I already said that in the last post I made:bang head I think Thermaltake had an oversight here:cry:

I though you were just speaking about a rad not fans only. :shrug:
Try Disabling the cool N quiet. With everything spinning at max it may make a difference. AMD has had issues in the past with that and it masy not be playing nice with win8!

We can't see the voltages in that pci you put up and would like to. Can you attach the pics right to the post instead of links too please.
Is your board a revision 2?

Back