• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 8.1 Automatic Repair Loop. Help!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Val155

Ok so I went out and got Win 8.1 64 bit for a new rig I just built. I installed the OS with zero problems. I updated the LAN, RealTeK, chipset drivers, gpu drivers and did several reboots as a result. Everything worked as expected.

However..... when I go to do a manual reboot or shut down after a period of time, when 8.1 reboots it gets stuck in a auto repair loop that won't allow it to be fixed by restore, repair, etc. I have had to do a clean install 3 times now.

Have you heard of this happening with 8.1?!

I called tech support and they were completely worthless...told me to take it to a certified Microsoft Tech locally to fix....seriously!?!

Please help as I just did a clean install again and am afraid to reboot. /sigh

If all else fails, make sure you are not overclocked, and disconnect *everything* except for the SSD, video card, cpu and ram and installation media. Make sure the drive is formatted prior to install.

It always helps to make sure your RAM is healthy by doing a memtest from startup media. Remember, everything needs to be at stock speeds!

I haven't adjusted any speeds. Still running with all defaults

It may be whatever you did after the initial install.

Whenever I initially install the OS, first of all I do it on a relatively small partition, so this allows me to quickly image/reimage it.

I make several images during the lengthy install setup where I install everything and setup everything. Sometimes it is the video card driver, sometimes windows updates, sometimes a faulty cable or faulty RAM.

I suspect a software update or driver update in your case but :shrug:

List your system spec's so we know what you're working with. Pertinent BIOS settings, including the ports / slots the hardware is attached would also be helpful.

I would suspect a hardware problem, most likely RAM, PS, or hard drive. The hardware is corrupting the HD in such a way as to make repair incomplete. I had several repair cycles on win8 and I traced it to my SSD.

Remove all the RAM but one stick and see if the corruption can be fixed. Swap sticks and try again. Run memtest as well, though this is less reliable in finding tricky errors. Try a different HD and or PS.

you get it sorted out val? I was thinking maybe your ram I had a similar issue i removed the last stick i purchased and my problem was no more

Back