• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mercury - I am just wondering if it might work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itstemo1

Registered
So what is the heat capacity and heat transfer (I think this are the wrong terminologies) of Mercury?

What would happen to a pump that had mercury in it?

So if the boiling point is 300c what is the possibilities of killing a person because of the fumes?

What about it being AIR TIGHT?

eaglescouter said:
When comes to working with mercury in the home I can only think of one word: DON'T.
I'll second that...

itstemo1 said:
So what is the heat capacity and heat transfer (I think this are the wrong terminologies) of Mercury?

What would happen to a pump that had mercury in it?

So if the boiling point is 300c what is the possibilities of killing a person because of the fumes?

What about it being AIR TIGHT?
Not sure how it transfers heat, but it ought to be good.

What would happen to the pump? If you used a normal propeller pump, it would DESTROY it...I think you can use a magnetic pump to move the liquid without actually touching it

It will still evaporate, and I'll tell you right now if someone walked in at my LAN with a mercury cooled computer, I'd ask them to leave...

It won't be air tight...the tubing breathes.

Not to mention the high specific gravity.

Get this stuff moving and it does not want to stop, thus breaking/popping tubing/seams/joints.

Look into the hazmat cleanup requirements for a small mercury spill and you will want nothing to do with this stuff.

Look further into the damage that mercury exposure does to the human body and you will want to run the other way.

For info on mercury:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_(element)

Heat capacity: (25 °C) 27.983  J·mol−1·K−1

Thermal conductivity: (300 K) 8.30  W·m−1·K−1

eaglescouter said:
Look into the hazmat cleanup requirements for a small mercury spill and you will want nothing to do with this stuff.

Look further into the damage that mercury exposure does to the human body and you will want to run the other way.
Mercury and most of its compounds are extremely toxic and are generally handled with care. It can be inhaled and absorbed through the skin and mucous membrane, so containers of mercury are securely sealed to avoid spills and evaporation.

A study has shown that acute exposure (4-8 hours) to calculated elemental mercury levels of 1.1 to 44 mg/m3 resulted in chest pain, dyspnea, cough, hemoptysis, impairment of pulmonary function, and evidence of interstitial pneumonitis

Acute exposure to mercury vapor has been shown to result in profound central nervous system effects, including psychotic reactions characterized by delirium, hallucinations, and suicidal tendency. Occupational exposure has resulted in broad-ranging functional disturbance, including erethism, irritability, excitability, excessive shyness, and insomnia. With continuing exposure, a fine tremor develops and may escalate to violent muscular spasms. Tremor initially involves the hands and later spreads to the eyelids, lips, and tongue. Long-term, low-level exposure has been associated with more subtle symptoms of erethism, including fatigue, irritability, loss of memory, vivid dreams, and depression
So...yeah, it sucks...

+ Dont

Few things need to be seriously considered before thinking bout it's cooling performance :

1. Although not many, few metal parts that in the cooling loop will be solved by that thing and cause leak of course. :D

2. Your average pump will die pumping that liquid since it has similiar weight density as other heavy metal like gold or lead but in liquid form

3. High toxicity

4. Highly electric conductivity by nature, zapping your circuit in no time when leaks. :D

bing said:
1. Although not many, few metal parts that in the cooling loop will be solved by that thing and cause leak of course. :D
Mercury and aluminium

Mercury readily combines with aluminium to form a mercury-aluminum amalgam when the two pure metals come into contact. However, when the amalgam is exposed to air, the aluminium oxidizes, leaving behind mercury. The oxide flakes away, exposing more mercury amalgam, which repeats the process. This process continues until the supply of amalgam is exhausted, and since it releases mercury, a small amount of mercury can “eat through” a large amount of aluminium over time, by progressively forming amalgam and relinquishing the aluminium as oxide.
Aluminium in air is ordinarily protected by a molecule-thin layer of its own oxide, which is not porous to oxygen. Mercury coming into contact with this oxide does no harm. However, if any elemental aluminium is exposed (even by a recent scratch), the mercury may combine with it, starting the process described above, and potentially damaging a large part of the aluminium before it finally ends (Ornitz 1998).
For this reason, restrictions are placed on the use and handling of mercury in proximity with aluminium. In particular, mercury is not allowed aboard aircraft under most circumstances because of the risk of it forming amalgam with exposed aluminium parts in the aircraft.

Oh yeah, other important thing is, since it's atom is considered very dense aka small, it will sip through on some less dense material.

Its known mercury will leak through in certain plastic container through it's wall even there is no visible hole. :D

That is why it is not wise to have this expose directly to human skin, they will be absorbed or leaked through the skin and get into the blood stream.

Edit : Learned a lot from my relative which is a goldsmith, they use this alot for gold processing. Fun thing to watch is when you throw a piece of gold into mercury, it will solve that precious metal like salt in water ! :D

Last edited:
Also good luck finding an inexpensive pump that will be able to move the mercury through the loop reasonably well. It is 13.5 times more dense than water so a good ol' Iwaki would still prove useless. Heck, with a fluid that dense, the stator might spin free of the rotor on some pumps due to the mag drive design of our pumps.

On top of the fact that it has HUGE surface tension and you would have hell trying to get even a decent amount of it in contact with the water block and radiator. I would be neat though if it worked.

eightballrj said:
On top of the fact that it has HUGE surface tension and you would have hell trying to get even a decent amount of it in contact with the water block and radiator. I would be neat though if it worked.

just add soap! j/k

when I was a kid I had shoes with lights and I removed the lights and broke it open to get the the mercury.... I am lucky nothing developed from that 'cause I walked around with it in my hands. I think I was 6 or something...

Propaganda said:
just add soap! j/k

when I was a kid I had shoes with lights and I removed the lights and broke it open to get the the mercury.... I am lucky nothing developed from that 'cause I walked around with it in my hands. I think I was 6 or something...

lol i think you should coun urself lucky that stuf is friggin toxic

Propaganda said:
just add soap! j/k

o_O thats...pretty unsafe :p

Wait... Are you talking about the L.A. Shows that had the lights... DUDE those where the BOMB. I wish I had lights on my shoes right now. (get a awesome idea)

I love these threads. They always pop up every few months, with very similar results.

If there was a better cooling fluid for our purposes than water, you can bet that we could be using it. :)

megadeath900 said:
Couldn't you use some sort of magnetic pump to move the mercury? I mean On the outside of the tubes?
Yes, I already stated that ealier ;)

But again, the negatives FAR outweigh the positives.

Back