• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS3 or Xbox 360 for streaming video to TV?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I know that the xbox supports AVI files as I have used them myself, can't see why the PS3 wouldn't support them.

Do you wish to stream through your xbox, or from your xbox? i.e. have the xbox set as a media server and have your phone/laptop connect to it and play the files through the xbox to the tv, or play the files from a mass storage device from the xbox?

For Android devices you can use AirSync doubletwist which mounts your phone as a media server so the xbox can play videos/music from the phone. You can do the same with Windows Media player on a Windows Laptop/PC.

Other wise you could put the files on to a USB memory pen and play through the xbox.

I used to use a 360 for all my media on the TV but it was finnicky and wouldn't play as many formats as I wanted.

I use PS3 Media Server to stream to my PS3 (works for Xbox as well but not as nicely.)
Plays avi, mkv, etc etc etc. Everything.

For just AVI the 360 should work, if you want to do MKV (as a lot of movies come in this format) you will likely want to use the PS3 with PS3 Media Server (PMS) as Is_907 stated. I had pretty good success with it until I built my own htpc.

I believe there is a 4gb limit for the 360 and PS3 still (maybe a work around), I used to use the media center to play HD movies and would have to sometimes split the video using Gotsent into two files.

PS3 media server is very flexible once you start getting into the configurations. Most of the time the XBOX 360 whines and complains about alot of my files, my PS3 however will play anything I throw at it avi, mkv, wmv, mp3, m4v, etc.

Jesus... Been so long since I've even had to THINK about this...

Got a Samsung Smart TV now... not only does it play every file I've thrown at it... but it even reads NTFS!

What I remember was the 360 being a magic pain in the *** to setup and the PS3 just... working.

It's been so long ago though that the 360 might be able to play mkv files for all I know!

Back