• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED 4670k vs 4770k gaming benchmarks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ninjacore

I know this topic has been done to death and I was pretty certain I already had the answer, but I was looking into it again tonight and noticed a review which seemed to suggest something other than what I thought true.

I was under the impression that there wasn't much difference going from the 4th gen i5 to the 4th gen i7 when it comes to gaming.

This review seems to show a difference @ 1080P of ~20%!
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i5_4670K_and_i7_4770K_Comparison/8.html

Is that accurate? And why is it in such stark contrast to this one?
http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1061&page=4

Am I just reading something wrong?

Thanks!

looking at it, it depends on the game.
for an all game rig i'd still say to go with the i5 and put the extra money in the gpu.

Oh yea, I forgot to mention, I was only looking at the Bf3 data on both. That's basically what I've always heard (i5 for gaming), but those results just seem to fly in the face of that a bit.

a couple of%, not going to notice it really, the money is better spent in the gpu.
like pcie 16x16 vs 16x8 the performance cost is little but the dollar cost can be quite high and those dollars are better spent on the gpu.

Better to spend the $100 on jumping from a 760->770 or 770->780 for gaming.

It's foolish to only look at one singular game benchmark.
The 4770K is a bit faster for BF3, but the upgraded GPU will be faster for EVERY game.

Also, BF4 does not exhibit this same trend, just for anyone wondering. The i5, i7, and Enthusiast i7 are all within ~1FPS of each other.

Many here advocate for the i5 for gaming, I am not one of them. I will say the i5 does a great job on the majority of games and will continue too for right now.

However the bottom line is there are certain games that can utilize the extra threads and if you are willing to pay the price of admission you will benefit from them, not to mention if you use any tracking or secondary software while gaming the extra threads come into play as well .

With the new consuls both sporting 8 core CPU's I believe most if not all developers will be learning how to and prioritizing the use of all these cores. I am thinking we will see the i7 and the 8 core AMD chips start to really put some distance on the i5 as we see newer games capable of utilizing these cores become more prevalent.

If the games in question are multiplayer, does that change this discussion at all? Is the i7 going to be better at handling multiplayer scenarios? All the benchmarks (for good reasons) cover only singleplayer testing.

EDIT:
To make this all a little less abstract. I have a 280X already purchased. Not gonna return, sell, exchange it for anything else (with the money from the difference between an i5 and i7, for example).

I'm gaming at 1080P, multiplayer BF3 and BF4. I have a 4770k. Is it worth the ~$75 I'd get to sell it and "downgrade" to a 4670k? I'll OC both eventually and the uses for the PC aren't gonna change.

Last edited:
I really don't have a great answer as all of the comparisons I have seen are single player, however based on my last post I really believe we will start to see these cores being used by developers as the facts are console gaming is the platform that will ultimately determine where PC gaming goes. it will also dictate innovation or a lack there of. With eight cores at their disposal I think an 8 threaded CPU will come in handy.

You could simply buy a 4670K and run each one for a month and if the i5 can hang sell off the 4770K and if it does not sell off the 4670K

You could simply buy a 4670K and run each one for a month and if the i5 can hang sell off the 4770K and if it does not sell off the 4670K

I like this idea. Thank you. That way, I can at get some data comparing the 2 in multiplayer. :)

I'll keep my eye out for a 4670k.

Awesome

Please post your results. End user results are the best reference and asset any forum community has :p

While BF3 utilizes multiple threads, I had HT disabled tonight for troubleshooting purposes.
And I can say that the difference between HTenabled or disabled is abysmall, for BF3.
So while I agree on giving the i7 overall preference, the i5 somewhat produce the same gaming experience, fps wise.
Only real difference was 5°C lower temps while gaming.

Back