• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VP6 or DVD266r ??? HELP!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gabertooth

OC Community,

What should I get..a Abit VP6 RAID or a Iwill DVD266r RAID??? I know I would see a preformance increase with the DDR..but I don't know if iti is as solid as the Abit. I also have a substantial investment in SDRAM! Will the memory bandwidth of the ghz procs limit the benefits of DDR?

Yep, the PIII memory handling is not capable of using all the width offered by the DDR. In all the reviews I have seen from the DVD266 there is only an 5-8% increase from using the DDR.

Many won't buy anything but an Abit board, but Iwill is a very capable mobo manufacturer. I'm going to buy an Iwill DVD266-R in the coming months (as soon as I save enough for the mobo+memory+PSU).

In the review I read the Iwill DVD266 benchmarked much better than the non DDR board's it was tested against...the memeory numbers were about what the prior post alludes to but really kicked some booty in almost all other benchmarks...

I would go with the Abit. Why? Because I'm 100% bias. That's why.

Why else? Because the bench's that I have seen I'm not impressed with the Iwill DDR board. The memory scores aren't high enough to warrant DDR use.

IWill is new to the motherboard scene. Well, they aren't new, they are just starting to make something noticeable. Where as Abit has been noticed for quite sometime for making a quality product.

As for stability? Once again Abit. And only because of their pre-established history.

iWill may make a good board. But they don't have the history under thier belt that Abit does. Is IWill going to be in business for a while? You don't know. Abit isn't going anywhere.

The one thing that I will advise if you buy an Abit board is to order or buy it from someone who will exchange the board for a new one if something goes wrong with yours. You have to pay Abit to RMA their boards, even if it is DOA. So get someone to exchange it for you and make them pay.

Back