• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All About nForce2!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks DS, I had been thinking about that for a while now. When I start to build a new system soon, I will only spend 350-400 in the first month and I hope to get a CPU, mainboard, and memory with that.

I DO want the best memmory bandwidth I can get, ie: DualDDR, and I'm going for syncronized buses @ 200+. My first thought was to get two sticks of 512 DDR400 but something tells me that I definitly can't afford that plus the mobo and proc, so I guess I'll get one stick now and one stick later.

at 200fsb, dual DDR is going to offer little to no improvement over regular DDR.

even though dual DDR@ 200mhz offers 6400mb/sec, the athlon's bus still only has 3200mb/sec of bandwidth to use.

the only gain you will really see is in tasks that need to acess memory and not the CPU too.
but the rest of the computer's perepherals wont ever come NEAR using 3200mb/sec of extra bandwidth left by the CPU.

i dont know if i worded that right, but most, if not all, of the extra bandwidth is going to be wasted.

Um... Malakai,

You are forgetting something very important! What is it you must be thinking??,,,

Well, a little secret, memory bandwidth is never 100% effiecient. Infact DDR ram is less effecient than SDR ram due to the fact that a little more latency is introduced and the maximum ratio of effeciency delines.

So essentially, PC2700 (2.7GB/s) will offer with defualt setup (CL2) around 2GB/s at the most when running at 333MHz. What Dual DDR offers is to take advantage of the remaining bandwidth offered by the CPUs FSB. So, if PC2700 is offering 2000MB/s of realtime transfer rates, then that remaining 700MB/s that isnt there would be there if Dual DDR was used. Do you understand what I'm explaining?

OK, you can even prove your own tests, DDR333 will push about 2000~2100MB/s with a KT333 with standard settings.

So when you got your FSB cranked to 450MHz, youll know your getting over 3.5GB/s or more memory bandwidth just by knowing that you got whoppin amounts of bandwidth.

DS-Master

So essentially, PC2700 (2.7GB/s) will offer with defualt setup (CL2) around 2GB/s at the most when running at 333MHz. What Dual DDR offers is to take advantage of the remaining bandwidth offered by the CPUs FSB. So, if PC2700 is offering 2000MB/s of realtime transfer rates, then that remaining 700MB/s that isnt there would be there if Dual DDR was used. Do you understand what I'm explaining?

man what are you on? DDR is over 90% efficent. At 166mhz it pulls around 2500-2600mb/sec. At stock speeds on my mobo i get 1975mb/sec thats 133fsb...

You may be thinking of rambus which is only around 80% efficent...

I'm just going to ignor all this bandwidth arguments for now.

I have another question for DS. With the first nForce, could you OC the integrated graphics processor like a normal vid card, for example, a normal Ge-Force4 MX 420 Runs at 250Mhz I think, but can be OC'd to like 300, can we also do that with the nForce2 integrated graphics.

DS-Master said:
Um... Malakai,

You are forgetting something very important! What is it you must be thinking??,,,

Well, a little secret, memory bandwidth is never 100% effiecient. Infact DDR ram is less effecient than SDR ram due to the fact that a little more latency is introduced and the maximum ratio of effeciency delines.

OK, you can even prove your own tests, DDR333 will push about 2000~2100MB/s with a KT333 with standard settings.

So when you got your FSB cranked to 450MHz, youll know your getting over 3.5GB/s or more memory bandwidth just by knowing that you got whoppin amounts of bandwidth.

DS-Master

u have a point, it might give a fair increase in mem bandwidth.

for the record, i get 2450/2350 mb/sec in sandra at 160fsb on my system in sig

Malakai said:

u have a point, it might give a fair increase in mem bandwidth.

for the record, i get 2450/2350 mb/sec in sandra at 160fsb on my system in sig

DDR @ 320MHz (160FSB) = 2.56GB/s (PC2560):D

But both me and you know that memory useally could never peak 100% value since latency is introduced into the picture!

EDIT:, I just noticed your running the KX7, how come you arnt running your FSB at 200MHz or higher, is the memory holdin you back?

DS-Master

im still using Crucial PC2100.

i get better bandwidth with this old ram with this board than some people do at 170mhz FSB on other mobo's:)

im in love with this board.
if Abit's dual AMD board, the WA2A ends up being good and o/c's well, i might give up the benchmark race for a duallie.

encoding .vob's into mpeg takes forever, and i would love to be able to play morrowind while encoding.

oh yeah id like to be able to fold while playing Morrowind too.

Yeah, I know how you feel. I personally dont think I'll upgrade to a new platform untill CPUs reach at least 5GHz AMD wise. I think I'm going to replace my AXIA 1000c with a Barton XP2800+ when they becomes availiable and then overclock that processor with the small FSB extra that my motherboard can dish out, something around 146MHz Max (292MHz FSB).

My plan is to completely skip First generation K8 and dig right in to second generation. I believe that with a Barton XP2800+ along with an NV35, my computer will once again be unstoppable :)

Taking into theory of my computer this time next year ;)

But if I had the money to buy 1GB of ram and a new nForce2 motherboard, then I'd definately without a doubt upgrade to nForce2.

DS-Master said:
Yeah, I know how you feel. I personally dont think I'll upgrade to a new platform untill CPUs reach at least 5GHz AMD wise. I think I'm going to replace my AXIA 1000c with a Barton XP2800+ when they becomes availiable and then overclock that processor with the small FSB extra that my motherboard can dish out, something around 146MHz Max (292MHz FSB).

My plan is to completely skip First generation K8 and dig right in to second generation. I believe that with a Barton XP2800+ along with an NV35, my computer will once again be unstoppable :)

Taking into theory of my computer this time next year ;)

But if I had the money to buy 1GB of ram and a new nForce2 motherboard, then I'd definately without a doubt upgrade to nForce2.

eh, i have a feeling that the KT400 is still going to be better, its just a hunch though.

NV30 is gonna rock though, u have no opposition from me there. R300 looks cool, and if it turns out good ill get it....
nevermind, thats a topic for another thread.

p.s.: why did u change your name to DS master? i like AXIA much better. plus IMO DS kinda sucked:)

Back