• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to upgrade from q6600 and nforce? halp!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

steadfast9661

Registered
howdy, i have two year oldish system thats done me well when i'm home (3-4 days a week) which is where i do most my gaming, on the road i have a decent asus g50 notebook i use. i'm looking to update my PC since its about on par with my laptop and i do spend most my time gaming at home, but not all. System specs are as follows:

One thing to note, i dont want to spend a ton on new cards since DX 11 is out soon, but total war and some of my other games are running porky now, and heck ARMA2 is out soon.

Q6600
8800GTS 640MB
4GB
EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i

I'd like to move to a crossfire 4770 set up since its so cheap, but since i have a SLI board i can not go that route, id have to buy a high end nvidia card or get a new mobo/cards. So i'm wondering if i should build out a entirely new system with an I7 + dual ATI cards, or should i keep q6600 and buy a nvidiacard or what?

Thanks!

ahh, not a bad idea....wounder how well it would do with a q6600

Last edited:
Sound as if you want a new card but if you wanna try SLI with the card you have.. I have a 640MB 8800GTS I may let go of. I pulled one of mine out a week or so ago because I havent gamed on my system in forever. I wanted to cut back on heat a little bit. My main exhaust is in the bottom of my case. Just got a new desk and my tower is currently sitting on the floor preventing it from exhausting very well. So I pulled one card.. It has a Thermalright HR-03+ and fan on it as well. PM me if interested.

ok, so are you sure it will work on a nforce board? i read on another forum that only one core will work...IE you need cross fire still.

Personally, if you just get a 4870/4890 you don't even need to waste all the money on SLI.
Or just get a faster GTX or something.

I swapped out my 8800gt for a 4870 in my gamer, and it plays L4D/TF2, etc on high @ 1920x1600.

I still want to upgrade though, who don't?

Back