• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keyboards, for gaming, mechanical?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey there,

A few weeks ago, I was playing poker, and my Logitech Illuminated keyboard took a hit. There is only visible damage on the legs of the keyboard, but somehow it just hasn't felt the same since.

So I want to start my hunt for a new keyboard.

I like the buttons on my current logitech keyboard, the low keys, flat layout, but I am aware that mechanical keyboards are the must have for gaming, but I am just not a big fan of the big tall keys, that normally seem to go hand in hand with mechanical keyboards.

I have been looking at the Razer DeathStalker Ultimate [After research, this is no longer on my wish list], but I dont see myself needing the touch screen that it has and i do like to have the numpad in solid keys, but I like other features of the keyboard. That being the low key, flat layout, and then the option for disable keys when gaming. I do not know if other keyboards have this feature?

My list of must haves, is pretty much:
Flat, low key layout.
White light under keys is a must! ( i dont care if more colors are possible, but i want white)
Cable, not wireless.
Budget: Lets say 220$ max, but I do take cheaper options!
[edited in] Must have volume control.

Please tell me what my options are, and reasons for different aspects.

EDIT:

So i have now spent some time getting to know more.

Seems like I like the membrane keyboards, but, I guess I wouldn't mind a mechanical keyboard as long as its low profile like the membrane.

The Steelseries Apex seems to be where im leaning to at the moment. Its membrane, has the light features I want, and also something I found that is a must on my keyboard, volume control! Which is why the RAW is not an option.

I would really like to hear if anyone has any Keyboards in mind I should consider.

Last edited:
Would be best off not going for any Razer junk anyway since your budget allows quality.

The boards that I'm familiar with that offer white LEDs off the top of my head would be Ducky Shine 3 and Max Nighthawk X9

Would be best off not going for any Razer junk anyway since your budget allows quality.

The boards that I'm familiar with that offer white LEDs off the top of my head would be Ducky Shine 3 and Max Nighthawk X9

They look okay, but i really must admit, I wont ever be a fan of the high rise buttons, I am really happy with my current Logitech membrane, and have found i like it in gaming too.

As i said, i dont mind that idea of mechanical, but it has to be low profile. Doing a few google searches, i have found that I am not the only one looking for this keyboard. As someone wrote, getting the best of the two worlds. That being, the Low profile from membrane, and the mechanical use from the mechanical keyboards. I dont think they exist yet, and I am really leaning heavy towards the Steelsereis Apex.

My opinion, if you enjoy your Logitech and need a new keyboard, grab a Logi again. As far as membranes go, Logi is the best out there as far as I know.

My opinion, if you enjoy your Logitech and need a new keyboard, grab a Logi again. As far as membranes go, Logi is the best out there as far as I know.

I would agree, the main difference is, i play about 100% more FPS games now than i did when i got my Logitech, and I would like to have the option of disabling certain keys on the keyboard, such as the windows key, and the caps lock, as those 2 tend get hit, the Caps lock for sure.

I think the Apex is about as close as it gets to good for me, but since keyboards isnt my strong suit, its nice to know if there are options that i may be over looking.

Well, i found the steelseries apex in local shop, and went ahead and bought it.

So far, i need to get use the keys, they seem differently spaced to my logitech.

After going mechanical, I won't go back.
My keyboard at work is tolerable at best, and its a Logitech membrane.

As I said in the other thread, I hope that Steelseries was mechanical, it doesn't appear to be cheap.

After going mechanical, I won't go back.
My keyboard at work is tolerable at best, and its a Logitech membrane.

As I said in the other thread, I hope that Steelseries was mechanical, it doesn't appear to be cheap.

The Apex is membrane, but has a hard feel to it.

I am not a fan of mechanical. I think the price is okay for the apex.

The Apex is membrane, but has a hard feel to it.

I am not a fan of mechanical. I think the price is okay for the apex.

A good quality membrane can feel decent. Sounds like it is.

I've only heard that a handful of times, what is it that you don't like?
I just took a quick glance at the price and saw it was approaching mechanical territory, but if you don't like mechanical then its a non-issue anyway.

$79 for a "high-end" membrane board isn't particularly horrible, Razer did much worse with the Tarantula and Lycosa and they were utter garbage.

I have been playing around with the keyboard colours and stuff now, i lik it, but theres one key issue. White, looks more green/blue.

Attached image, I see where it says :p I'll let you find Waldo though.

Attachments

• apexraw.jpg
    apexraw.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 74
I win :D

Capture.PNG

The RAW doesn't have dedicated media keys though, you have to use a "modifier" key plus the key with a dual purpose (like an Fn key on some keyboards).

Back