• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Better Soundcard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Those were the cheapo Trip7's mine are a bit higher end but seem like some still around.

They are so old there aren't vids of them.

I bought them when I was in the Marines in Hawaii about circa 1981, using em for dual subwoofers these days.

I've taken care of mine over the years.

Last edited:
I have an Olevia 747i that I have running the sound bar running as only a center speaker withe 4 very nice drivers and a couple tweeters.

And a couple modified old JVC's that are still better than most things made these days with 10 inch woofs on em running left and right channels, the 747i sits on top of the center bar.

On top of the two KV-777's with 16 inch Woofs I have listed that are dual subwoofer's spread about the room there are 4 other I wont even mention, but they work well it's getting too long, and that sound card I listed will run all that.

Through two receivers, for that price if he can find one.

So don't tell me to read the thread.

I'd need three more lines in my signature to list the sound on the thing, I don't bother that end.

:salute:

Last edited:
God d##n you're almost as stubborn as me Mongrel. Anyways thanks for the link any specific brands you would refer me to for the receiver.

As far as receiver Id say go look at AVS forums maybe for a good review on those mine are a bit old.

Still have a SONY I do like in general and a Pioneer but if your going to do it all cheap got me.

For receivers I'm using a ancient Sony STR-DGR 520 for AV, and an old left over Pioneer VSX-454 just to run the sub woofers.

They were both things that were remnants, but pretty decent in their day. I'm sure these days as many receivers are sold you could pick up a couple newer ones on the cheap with some research or one if only one needed.

Actually for an old receiver with good sound and 1920 x 1080 pass through DTS etc, for 90 bucks it''s selling for that old Sony not still too bad.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DG52...UTF8&qid=1385520249&sr=8-1&keywords=str+dg520

but these days, I'm sure many things floating about, haven't went receiver shopping in awhile myself.

A little investigating, you could probably find something better for cheap but still like mine.

*edit* and if you're not using optical SPDIF to that reveiver I don't know if I'd bother with it.

Last edited:
A standard motherboard SPDIF out is more than enough to get a good signal to a receiver and run a speaker system. Adding a soundcard increases overall cost for little or no benefit. We're talking about a digital signal.

It will do that too but does both.

But it is a 5.1, so like I said it an older reveiver.

The soundcard i listed does use 7.1, so does my onboard but I use 5.1 to that old receiver *shrug*

OK NM, I'm oughta here, have at it.

Last edited:
So whats wrong with the Asus Xonar DX? They're still available and are frankly amazing cards when paired with the right headphones.

Well, its available at around the $150 mark. I can definitely recommend the Asus Xonar DX for gaming. For HTPC use though, which I think is what you're doing, stick with SPDIF or HDMI out. whether its onboard or not will make no difference to sound quality.

Back