• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boost 2.0: a boost too far

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

Well, I managed to get my overclock stable on my GTX 780 by setting the base core clock to 1030, I thought the boost clock would never go over 1175 Mhz, but no, it decided to push farther, to 1188 Mhz and caused a hard lock.

If Boost is disabled, does that mean your GPU will always be running at the clocks
you set in the BIOS and never downclock to more reasonable values?

I think I'm going to try limiting the Boost Limit to 1178 Mhz.

If the memory bus speed is overclocked to a value > (GPU clock offset + 13 Mhz),
does that basically mean the memory boost won't be applied?

What a PITA, overclocking my 6970 was so much easier and straight forward.

Exactly. Memory does not boost, just the core.

Good God man.. you have 10 threads on your 780 going... 10!!!

How is 7 like 10? Except when it's not.

Probably because all of them could have been one (maybe two) threads.
When questions are this similar it helps people help you by keeping it all in one thread.

Probably because all of them could have been one (maybe two) threads.
When questions are this similar it helps people help you by keeping it all in one thread.

Agreed... All you had to do OP was edit your posts and add more stuff. Or ask questions In a "help with gtx 780 thread" we aren't jumping at you, just think before you post...

Earthdog still has to remind me to edit my posts instead of posting another :D

So should I edit an existing thread, or just post additional questions to that same thread?

OK, so I tried limiting the boost clock w/the Kepler BIOS tweaking utility, but it didn't work it still boosts past 1176 and locks up. I thought I limited the boost clock by setting the Boost Limit in the Common tab to 1176Mhz. It didn't work though. Anyone have any ideas on how to limit the boost clock?

Welcome to kepler! There's additional boost that happens above the boost clocks. It's a fairly complicated internal system.
My impression is that the final boost is a multiplier of the "max" boost. Set the max lower and see if the final boost goes lower. Also make sure your BIOS edits are actually sticking.

Or, you know, use software. BIOSes (BIOSii?) are significantly more complicated than most people seem to realize.

Thanks Bobnova. I will try your suggestion.

So maybe the Boost Limit is the minimum boost clock? That would be...bizarre.

Are modern AMD GPU's implementing this complicated boost style of overclocking?

I am using Zotac's firestorm to set the base clock, it's just too bad I can't guarantee I
get the clock speed I set.

Thanks Bobnova. I will try your suggestion.

So maybe the Boost Limit is the minimum boost clock? That would be...bizarre.

Are modern AMD GPU's implementing this complicated boost style of overclocking?

I am using Zotac's firestorm to set the base clock, it's just too bad I can't guarantee I
get the clock speed I set.

Almost all new CPUs and GPUs use some form of "turbo" or "boost".

I tried BobNova's suggestion and lowered the Boost Limit even further. This seemed to limit the range of the maximum boost considerably. I might even lower it more.

For some reason False Christian's idea doesn't work for me. If I do what he did, my vcore never rises above 1.175 volts, which limits my overclock.

Zotac's non-reference cooling for their GTX 780 OC seems to be a lot better than what I had on my 6970. Then again, maybe a maximum of 1.212V vcore might not be enough to really heat up a GTX780.

Great, so now that I'm pushing the core clock I've discovered that the memory clock has it's own separate boost BS going. If I push past 1200 Mhz on my core clock the memory clock clock won't stay at what I set it at, instead it'll boost up by > 50Mhz which locks up the video card.
Does anyone know how to disable boost for the memory clock?

You have a memory offset there?

As ED said, memory doesn't boost, it just does 2d and 3d clocks according to a table set in the bios and you can alter the top 3d clocks with the offsets.

You have a memory offset there?

As ED said, memory doesn't boost, it just does 2d and 3d clocks according to a table set in the bios and you can alter the top 3d clocks with the offsets.

I thought the boost tables only have core clock voltages?

If I set the memory clock speed to say, 1700 Mhz and the core clock speed to 1200 Mhz, BF4 locks up and when I check the monitoring software it states the memory speed was maxed out at 1750Mhz, which isn't what I set. I tried this multiple times and used GPUz as well.

Sometimes a higher core clock can limit your memory speeds, or vice versa.

I would find your core max, then start raising the memory until it becomes unstable.

Back