• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new mobo wanted, help needed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
thanks, that should be really useful!
just wondering, as i thought i ought to check this, if i change the mobo, will i also need to re-install the OS? i'm presently using 2000, but if its a yes, i might as well go to XP at the same time... (i have a copy available) the only prpblem with this is that i will need another drive to transfer all my data to if i do, but that can also be sorted...
thanks

actually, the site i had originally been watching has just got a 'MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR 8xAGP DDR400 Nforce2 6ch Sound LAN USB 2.0 SATA Raid Retail Box' back in, but its only one, going for £33, really really seriously considering it, it may not OC quite so well, but brand new (not ebay) and with everything, its definitely an option, if i go for it, will do so tonight, so please, and answer by tonight, about 9 o'clock (my time in UK), and tell me:
abit AN7, not new
abit NF7-S, not new both ebayed or
MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR brand new, retail box, everything there...
please be quick, thanks a lot guys!

I'm not familiar with the MSI board but new is generally better.
How come you can't find a new AN7 in the UK?
Some of the US retailers will probably ship there also.
Try NewEgg, Zip Zoom Fly or Monarch.

EDIT: Well that sucks - I can find one here either.
6 months ago they were all over the place.

Last edited:
yeah, i know! silly isn't it, cant find any anywhere, so yeah, i've gone for it, well actually, my dad did.
i told him and he said, well, its a sunday night, there's only one, christmas present, we'll get it now.
so we ordered it. thanks again

papercutout said:
just wondering, as i thought i ought to check this, if i change the mobo, will i also need to re-install the OS? i'm presently using 2000, but if its a yes, i might as well go to XP at the same time... (i have a copy available) the only prpblem with this is that i will need another drive to transfer all my data to if i do, but that can also be sorted...
thanks
I forgot to answer this.
Yes you will need to reinstall Windows to get it to run properly.
Good luck with your new build and Merry Christmas papercutout.

Bill

forget the abit, forget msi, forget epox... you simply will not find a higher performing motherboard for overclocking a socket A processor then either the dfi lanparty ultra B or the dfi ultra infinity. if you can find one on those boards on ebay or another place secondhand and you are really dead set on keeping with the socket A platform then you would do well to buy it IMO. the dfi requires some patience with overclocking but it is widely regarded as the king of socket A overclocking boards.

i think your money would be better spent on a socket 754 sempron and a cheap socket 754 board with agp. with any s754 combo you will see higher performance then an overclocked socket A could get you. good luck.

yeah, but as we said, DFI are phasing out their socket A boards, and you cant find them anywhere except ebay...
and i have to say i disagree, the socket A I got was cheaper than I would pay for a 2.1GHz 754 socket cpu, and being the barton model, probably overclocks at least as well. That would have meant buying a new CPU as well as a new mobo, and i'm not willing to shell out the cash, even with christmas here. Any thoughts?
thanks
(oh, i have overclocked it to 2.2GHz with a standard AMD h/s/f, and its still OK, with a better one, which is on its way and new mobo, i should get 2.5/6Ghz out of it OK... agree?

Back