• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP problem with RAID

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tester3000

I am trying to do a clean install onto a raid array. I have 2x 500GB sata drives. I have configured the RAID 0 and RAID 1 array in the BIOS (enable raid -> CTRL+I -> configure raid arrays). I know that it's an XP problem because i can install windows 7 no problem (but it's a bit buggy).

The problem is that i can't get windows xp installation to detect the raid drives. I used a usb floppy to load the intel ich10r f6 raid drivers but still no luck. Could someone please help? BTW my rig is in my sig. Thanks.

Yep, that's the one i used. Unzipped it to a freshly formatted floppy disk. The driver files are in the root directory of the floppy. I press f6 and load the driver. Everything goes fine until it says "starting windows",, then it says no hard disk found.

So Setup is utilizing the drivers on the Floppy disk, and makes it through the first stage of loading the drivers from the CD, but after a subsequent reboot the array isn't seen ("No hard disk found" error)? Delete both the arrays you created originally, and then create only the RAID 0 array using all but the space you designated for the RAID 1 array. You can create the RAID 1 array once in Windows, by using the Matrix Storage Manager utility.

Ok here's what exactly happens.
1) I press F6
2) Windows loads some drivers off the cd
3) Asks me to press enter to load raid driver off floppy
4) driver is loaded and windows loads some more drivers off the cd
5) Then it says "Starting windows" (the windows installation) and says no hdd
This is all before the reboot. I never get to the screen that lets you set the hard drives, partitions, etc.

I will try just seting the raid 0 array. I'll let you know how it goes. You help is greatly appreciated.

Ok, i tried just having the raid 0 and it still didn't work. But i think i have found the problem.

img1227tp5.jpg

When i press "S" to load the driver, nothing loads (floppy drive doesn't make any noise or lights). The floppy drive doesn't seek or anything. If i press enter instead of 's' then it loads the driver from the floppy but it doesn't detect the hdd.

img1231xo7.jpg

I'm thinking it might be a floppy drive problem. I press enter at this screen and the floppy drive does nothing.

Last edited:
YESSSSSSSSSSS!!! After 2 days of pulling my hair out,, i finally got this to work. I had slipstreamed the raid drivers into the xp cd. Don't know why it wouldn't work off my floppy. But it doesn't matter now. Thanks for you help. And if anyone else is having this kind of problem,, just screw floppies and slipstream the drivers with nlite into your xp install cd.

Were you able to install it with your raid0/raid1 partitions set up or did you do all raid0 and then partition a raid1 once in windows?

Just an FYI, but the following USB floppy drives are listed in the Windows file Txtsetup.sif (this is a Setup Information File (sif) used primarily for text mode setup), and are supported during Setup...

1. Device ID = VID: 057B and PID: 0000 for SONY external USB floppy drive, Sony part number 09K9835
2. Device ID = VID: 0644 and PID: 0000 for TEAC external USB floppy drive, IBM replacement part number (FRU) 13N6752
3. USB\VID_03EE&PID_6901 ; Mitsumi USB floppy drive
4. USB\VID_057B&PID_0000 ; YEData USB floppy drive, Sony part number 09K9835
5. USB\VID_0644&PID_0000 ; TEAC USB floppy drive IBM option part number 27L4226, FRU 05K9283

The following USB floppy drives aren't listed in the file txtsetup.sif and aren't supported...

1. USB\VID_03F0&PID_2001 ; HP
2. USB\VID_054C&PID_002C ; Sony
3. USB\VID_057B&PID_0001 ; YEData
4. USB\VID_0409&PID_0040 ; NEC
5. USB\VID_0424&PID_0FDC ; SMSC

Were you able to install it with your raid0/raid1 partitions set up or did you do all raid0 and then partition a raid1 once in windows?

I was able to install XP with both raid 0 and raid 1 arrays setup. Windows installation detected both (i could install windows on the raid 0 or the raid 1)

nLite's the bomb! I've got updated installation disks built and burned for all my computers. It's nice having all the device drivers neatly installed on that first boot!

So it all came down to an unsupported USB Flopppy drive?

Yeah,, i think so. It's a Sony Model: MPF88E. Anyway, it is easier integrating the drivers into the disc,, so you don't have to find that dang floppy everytime you want to reinstall xp. But it's looks like the final version of win 7 is going to be good,, so we won't need to do this crap anymore. Windows 7 installs so easily on my raid array. Don't have to do anything. Just select the drive, partition and you are ready to go. Unfortunately i can't rely on a beta release as my primary os.

Yeah,, i think so. It's a Sony Model: MPF88E. Anyway, it is easier integrating the drivers into the disc,, so you don't have to find that dang floppy everytime you want to reinstall xp. But it's looks like the final version of win 7 is going to be good,, so we won't need to do this crap anymore. Windows 7 installs so easily on my raid array. Don't have to do anything. Just select the drive, partition and you are ready to go. Unfortunately i can't rely on a beta release as my primary os.

Cheers.

Vista is the same... no additional drivers required. Haven't yet tried W7 myself.

Back