• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would like to get into gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi, It's going pretty good I'm off the roof & met up with the gal & in some kind of control room. The biggest problem is keeping the fingers on the WSAD keys.

I'm getting there :D

Before long you'll go to WASD instead of ASDF :rofl:

Hi, I would be interested in knowing some of the newer games that were kind of on the easier side with not too many inputs from the keyboard.

Thanks

If you're looking for something challenging that will require some research and practice on your part, but will also take it easy on that left hand, try Flight Simulator X.

You'll need a joystick with a throttle on it (Saitek Av8r is a good cheap stick). Your right hand does the flying and your left hand handles occasional tasks such as landing gear, flaps, spoilers, throttle, etc. Your right hand will switch between the stick and the mouse (for autopilot settings). The game teaches you the basics of flight, taking off, landing, lining up for approach, etc. You will have to learn advanced controls (like how to use the autopilot on a 747-400) through online research (everything is easily available). It's a challenging game with 1000s of hours of replay value. There are dozens of pre-fab missions (resort supply, commercial flights, charter flights, a secret shuttle to Area 51, mail supply runs, tourist sight seeing flights, helicopter rescue missions, etc.) as well as the ability to set up your own flight plan (say, San Francisco to Honolulu Hawaii) and fly your own way with your choice of plane. I've been playing this game since 2007 and I'm not sick of it.

If you're comfortable using the WSAD/shift/C/Space keys, you should check into slow paced first person RPGs like I was saying before. Skyrim, oblivion, fallout, etc. You may find Mass Effect 1/2/3 slow paced enough as well.

I agree that a flight sim would be great, especially since Dan has experience flying things!

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...or-X-Gold-Edition-PC-Game/productID.253657900

Here's the link to buy it from the Microsoft store. (Once you buy it you can download it an unlimited number of times, provided you only have one active installation at any given time. So you can buy it now, put it on your desktop. Reinstall windows? Buy a new PC? You can download it again. Just like Steam. )

It's $29.99 for the Gold edition which includes extra scenery and aircraft as well as extra missions.

One thing FSX lacks stock is ground proximity call-outs. (100, 50, 40, 30, 20, re tard) You can download these (for a fee) via a number of sources. I like the Project Magenta version myself though I'm not certain whether it is still available.

(skip to 1:33 to hear the GPWS callouts)

Last edited:
If you're looking for something challenging that will require some research and practice on your part, but will also take it easy on that left hand, try Flight Simulator X.

You'll need a joystick with a throttle on it (Saitek Av8r is a good cheap stick). Your right hand does the flying and your left hand handles occasional tasks such as landing gear, flaps, spoilers, throttle, etc. Your right hand will switch between the stick and the mouse (for autopilot settings). The game teaches you the basics of flight, taking off, landing, lining up for approach, etc. You will have to learn advanced controls (like how to use the autopilot on a 747-400) through online research (everything is easily available). It's a challenging game with 1000s of hours of replay value. There are dozens of pre-fab missions (resort supply, commercial flights, charter flights, a secret shuttle to Area 51, mail supply runs, tourist sight seeing flights, helicopter rescue missions, etc.) as well as the ability to set up your own flight plan (say, San Francisco to Honolulu Hawaii) and fly your own way with your choice of plane. I've been playing this game since 2007 and I'm not sick of it.

If you're comfortable using the WSAD/shift/C/Space keys, you should check into slow paced first person RPGs like I was saying before. Skyrim, oblivion, fallout, etc. You may find Mass Effect 1/2/3 slow paced enough as well.
Hi, I do have a flight simulator, it's not the Microsoft one . It is mostly for helicopters but has a airplane mode also. I really don't want to go down that path anymore.

I feel I'm getting fairly good with the WSAD & the others. I'm going to work with them for the time being.

In that case, I strongly suggest your next game be Skyrim. Lots of reasons. Primarily, it's a slow paced game that uses WASD keys, secondly, it's so long that you'll have hundreds of hours (if you want to do all the side quests) to hone your skills in a familiar and constant environment without the changes that switching from game to game would bring.

After Skyrim you might want to see if your reflexes are up to the task of a fast paced FPS. Team Fortress 2, Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc. Play single player and bot matches for a while before you try actual multiplayer. It's very frustrating to constantly get shot in the back and not even know where the shooter is over and over and over.

Give HL2 a chance. It was my first thought when I saw the thread topic. If you do not enjoy a first person shooter then an adventure game may be more your speed.

If you are going to try the RPG route e.g. Skyrim, I'd also recommend Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. Similar but fallout series has guns. They are $20 each on Steam. I like the VATS feature of the Fallout series, takes away the need for twitch reflexes if you want.

If you are going to try the RPG route e.g. Skyrim, I'd also recommend Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. Similar but fallout series has guns. They are $20 each on Steam. I like the VATS feature of the Fallout series, takes away the need for twitch reflexes if you want.

Hi, I don't really know what I'm going to do after HL2. As I get farther into HL2 it is getting harder for me as the number of key I have to navigate to increases my shaking hand is having trouble.

Again, try civ. Only need to use a mouse
But Civ is so boring! :chair: j/k lol

Hi, I don't really know what I'm going to do after HL2. As I get farther into HL2 it is getting harder for me as the number of key I have to navigate to increases my shaking hand is having trouble.
I am not sure the younger ones are aware of how much you have to be able to do physically do, to play FPS games. Personally, as I've gotten older, I've been less and less able to play FPS games at the level I could in my 20's and 30's. Now I'd much rather play games that let you 'pause time' like Fallout or that are paced slower like the new Theif or World of Tanks. I'll still play a single player FPS here and there by my days of "owning" people on multiplayer are gone. I type a ton at work so my hands also may just need a break. Slower recovery time after exertion is no fun. But I'm still alive so there is hope!:thup:

Again, try civ. Only need to use a mouse
Hi, you are really high on civ 5, I do need to try & get at least proficient with the keyboard first.

I am not sure the younger ones are aware of how much you have to be able to do physically do, to play FPS games. Personally, as I've gotten older, I've been less and less able to play FPS games at the level I could in my 20's and 30's. Now I'd much rather play games that let you 'pause time' like Fallout or that are paced slower like the new Theif or World of Tanks. I'll still play a single player FPS here and there by my days of "owning" people on multiplayer are gone. I type a ton at work so my hands also may just need a break. Slower recovery time after exertion is no fun. But I'm still alive so there is hope!:thup:
I plan on sticking with this one until I finally at least try to get through the whole thing. I'll then take a look to see what else is out there. There is no way I'll ever get good enough to attempt to play in multiplayer mode.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

Hi, you are really high on civ 5, I do need to try & get at least proficient with the keyboard first.

I plan on sticking with this one until I finally at least try to get through the whole thing. I'll then take a look to see what else is out there. There is no way I'll ever get good enough to attempt to play in multiplayer mode.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

That's fine, I just don't want you to get frustrated with the hand shaking on the keyboard when there are other games that don't require keyboard interaction to be 100% playable.

Civ is one of the most in depth and fascinating games ever made. You can sit and play that game for 12 hours straight, even if you're the kind of person who can only usually game for an hour at a time.

I introduced my friend to it and he got so addicted we had to have an intervention.

Civ 5 blows btw. Civ 4 FTW.

Civ is one of the most in depth and fascinating games ever made. You can sit and play that game for 12 hours straight, even if you're the kind of person who can only usually game for an hour at a time.

I introduced my friend to it and he got so addicted we had to have an intervention.

Civ 5 blows btw. Civ 4 FTW.

+1 about Civ. Civ 5 is great, but you must have both expansions, otherwise, Civ 4 is better. Civ games are huge time wasters, but fun. It saved my sanity when I was unemployed.

Anyway, papadan is right on the money by finishing HL2 and getting his mouse and keyboard skills down. I will also agree with the other recommendations of Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, and Skyrim. I love these games because of their slower pace and awesome environments. They are kind of the opposite of HL2 in the fact that the stories are mediocre, but you're tossed into huge, incredible open-world landscapes that when modded up right, can almost take you out of reality while exploring. When you're ready, we can help you with modding. You can get a preview at nexusmods.com

I can't remember if they were mentioned, but papadan, when you feel comfortable with kb & mouse and if you enjoyed HL2, try the Mass Effect series. Epic story and stop-time fps/rpg. Again, this is another great series because it caters to first time players as well as veteran skill levels. I personally think it should be the next evolution in your gaming progression. :D

The last time I played Civ 5 I accidentally skipped two meals and found myself there 14 hours later at 5AM...
It's a good game lol.

Back