• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would like to get into gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi, it's a Logitech G700. I got a great deal on it so I couldn't pass it up. $59.99. I really like it so far.

Ah, yeah, I love my G700 :)

Don't forget that you can swap profiles on it.
I've got Copy, Paste, Enter, Tab Forward, Tab Backward, Forward, and Backward on my macros for normal (internet) usage.

Those keys in the mouse are quite useful.

Bought a cheap one with 2 side buttons.
1 to switch tabs in Chrome, the other to refresh the page :)

Glad you are enjoying HL2. I wanna play it again all of a sudden :p

Yes aren't they. This one has 5 different possible profiles, I only have 2 set up right now.

It is additive :D

Glad you're starting to enjoy yourself Dan, getting some use out of that fancy rig finally.

Dan, sounds like you like platformers and "doing things".

If you thought driving the hover craft was cool, than you should get PlanetSide 2 (its free!). Its a gorgeous, well made game and has TONS of cool tanks, planes, hover vehicles and other cool stuff. Its also kinda intense when you have 100 people slaughtering each other haha. Its incredibly good looking game, and your PC should be able to handle it very well at high settings.

For casual, just over the top fun games, try out Portal 1 and 2, Battleblock Theater, and castle crashers. Very casual, very fun puzzle games :)

Hi Johan, I finally realized that I can't be doing much in the way of OCing in the summer down here so I figured I might as well try my hand at gaming.

Sounds like you're trying both hands!

Time for someone to look at the Steam Summer Sale ;)

:rofl: One is better than the other but it is coming along. I believe I'm hooked :D

I did look at the summer sales but I think I'm just going to concentrate on HL2 until I get fairly good at it.

Hook, line, and sinker!

Even if you buy a couple of games you can finish HL2 before playing them :)
No sense in passing on a good sale for some games you're interested in.

This is the time of year that I buy games that I'm on the fence about, because if I don't like it I can say "oh well, it was $5".

Dan, sounds like you like platformers and "doing things".

If you thought driving the hover craft was cool, than you should get PlanetSide 2 (its free!). Its a gorgeous, well made game and has TONS of cool tanks, planes, hover vehicles and other cool stuff. Its also kinda intense when you have 100 people slaughtering each other haha. Its incredibly good looking game, and your PC should be able to handle it very well at high settings.

For casual, just over the top fun games, try out Portal 1 and 2, Battleblock Theater, and castle crashers. Very casual, very fun puzzle games :)
Well I don't know what platformers are, completely new guy here :D

Thanks for the recommendations.

Hook, line, and sinker!

Even if you buy a couple of games you can finish HL2 before playing them :)
No sense in passing on a good sale for some games you're interested in.

This is the time of year that I buy games that I'm on the fence about, because if I don't like it I can say "oh well, it was $5".
The speed at which I'm going, it might possibly be steam's next summer sales I'll have to be looking at.

The speed at which I'm going, it might possibly be steam's next summer sales I'll have to be looking at.

A backlog just gives you something else to look forward to :rofl:

Don't worry Dan, you'll get much quicker at it :)

You should be working on your skills in different genres of game so you can become a more well rounded gamer. If you just build up your FPS skillset, you'll have no platformer, RTS, racing, RPG/JRPG skills and when you start a new game you'll need to learn from the bottom all over again. A rather frustrating proposition.

You should do the same thing kids who are new to gaming do. Start 4 or 5 games from different genres, and play through them all at the same pace. Some games are too hard for most people to finish. Some people get stuck at a certain puzzle (not an issue with Google, but it used to be) and don't finish.

I suggest an FPS (you have one), an RPG (fallout 3), an adventure game (Batman Arkham Asylum (not a hard game) and a racer (one of the DiRT series). All these games are quite cheap now but still have modern graphics (except FO3 which looks a little dated).

It may seem like a lot to take on, but you may well find that you enjoy a different genre of game better than first person shooting and abandon HL2 altogether.

A lot of games can be played with an XBOX360 or XBOXOne controller as well if you prefer. For some games (racing games) a controller or racing wheel is a must.

Just my 2 cents. :grouphug:

Last edited:
You should be working on your skills in different genres of game so you can become a more well rounded gamer. If you just build up your FPS skillset, you'll have no platformer, RTS, racing, RPG/JRPG skills and when you start a new game you'll need to learn from the bottom all over again. A rather frustrating proposition.

You should do the same thing kids who are new to gaming do. Start 4 or 5 games from different genres, and play through them all at the same pace. Some games are too hard for most people to finish. Some people get stuck at a certain puzzle (not an issue with Google, but it used to be) and don't finish.

I suggest an FPS (you have one), an RPG (fallout 3), an adventure game (Batman Arkham Asylum (not a hard game) and a racer (one of the DiRT series). All these games are quite cheap now but still have modern graphics (except FO3 which looks a little dated).

It may seem like a lot to take on, but you may well find that you enjoy a different genre of game better than first person shooting and abandon HL2 altogether.

Just my 2 cents. :grouphug:

The only thing I would change here is Skyrim or Oblivion instead of Fallout 3, that way the first RPG experience isn't another shooter :)

Having a well rounded library helps you with enjoying your games no matter what mood you're in as well!

The only thing I would change here is Skyrim or Oblivion instead of Fallout 3, that way the first RPG experience isn't another shooter :)

Having a well rounded library helps you with enjoying your games no matter what mood you're in as well!

The only reason I chose Fallout is because it's a bit less involved than Elder Scrolls. You just kill stuff. You don't have to worry about your magicka levels or conjuration or restoration etc etc. Also the actual game itself is a bit less of a heavy meal to take in. Oblivion is inferior to Skyrim IMO, but Skyrim requires more skill to play than Fallout 3/NV do. True, you get to fight with swords, magic, conjured beasts, atronachs, bows and arrows, maces, warhammers, axes, and so forth. But in Fallout 3 you can blow a guy's head clean off in slow motion. Nothing beats that. Also, you don't get a shoulder-fire nuclear bomb in Elder Scrolls. Nor do you get to nuke an entire down back to the stone age. The companions you can pick up in Fallout are a lot more interesting and helpful IMO as well... though some companions in Skyrim aren't bad.

Nothing's more challenging than keeping that stupid dog alive all the way through the game in FO3 though...

O.K. I went with some of the recommendations & got Fallout 3 & Oblivion. I took a look at both of them & see that the RTS games will be fairly different from FPS ones. I did start Fallout 3 & got out of the vault but stopped there. Didn't venture out into the wasteland because I really didn't know too much of what I was doing. I need to set up my mouse like I have for HL2 so I don't have to use the KB that much. I'm probably going to stick with HL2 most of the time for now until I get the profiles for fallout3 & oblivion set up in the mouse. I have HL2 set up pretty good now (see ss below) I'm only having to use WSAD on the KB for most of the time & it is working out good. I want to setup the other 2 much the same way.

I would like to give a :thup::thup: & a thank you very much to PicodeGallo for his donation of civ4 to me. He had a steam copy that he didn't need & graciously offered it to me.

With these 4 games it should take me quite some time before I even begin to half way master all of them.

Dan

Attachments

• Half life 2.PNG
    Half life 2.PNG
    29 KB · Views: 49
Woah. That's a ton of buttons.

I saw a mouse that had a grid of 9 buttons on the side. I was like :screwy:

So you just use the kb for WSAD only basically?

As an FYI Fallout and Oblivion are RPGs (Roleplaying Games), RTS stands for Real-time Strategy, games such as Age of Empires, Starcraft, and such are RTSes.

Woah. That's a ton of buttons.

I saw a mouse that had a grid of 9 buttons on the side. I was like :screwy:

So you just use the kb for WSAD only basically?
Hi, yes I've gotten it down to where I don't have to use the KB for too many things & it has improved my performance. I also didn't realize that the mouse pads that are meant for gaming were so much bigger than just a normal desktop pad. I just picked up a pad from walmart today & wow it is big. It should help with my gaming.

Back