• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap laptop recommendation.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hookem

Looking for a laptop in the 400 to 450 range. For my bosses chef. He is looking at this HP from Microcenter.

Intel Core i3-3110M Processor 2.4GHz
• Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
• 8GB DDR3-1600 SDRAM
• 1TB 5,400RPM Hard Drive
• Intel HD Graphics 4000
• LightScribe SuperMulti DVDRW Drive
• 10/100/1000 Network
• Atheros 802.11b/g/n Wireless
• Bluetooth 4.0
• 15.6" HD LED-backlit Display

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=168476#

Fry's has a Leveno for $448.00

Windows 8.1
Intel 4th Generation Core i5-4200M Processor
15.6” Screen Display
Integrated 720p HD camera
4GB DDR3 Memory
500GB HDD storage
DVDRW
802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi connectivity, Bluetooth 4.0
Integrated Intel HD 4600 Graphics
1xUSB2.0
2x USB3.0
HDMI-out, RJ45, VGA

http://www.frys.com/product/7988500?site=sa:adpages page:p1_FRI date:060614

He does watch a lot of movies and sporting events. No gaming. Rumor control mill has it that Windows 8.1 needs 8 gigs of ram. I personally think the Leveno from Fry's is more future proof with i5 processor and 4600 graphics. Yes the HP has a 5400 rpm 1t hard drive and 8 gig's of ram along with Windows 7 Professional.

What do you guys think? Go less ram and drive space for better CPU and Graphics. Or go with the i3 with 8 gigs of ram and more hard drive space?

Any links to laptops in the 400 to 450 price range would be greatly appreciated that would be better choices.

Get the i5. It's Haswell. Haswell prolongs battery life. It's got gimped RAM and a gimped HD but you can upgrade both of those easily. That's what I'd do.

Or, if you want something that's good to go out of the box, get the first one. Win 8.1 does not need 8GB of RAM. I'm running it with 6 on my laptop and it's fine.

Those are both some pretty sweet deals. We get shafted in Canada. Those would both be $550-600 here.

I say grab the Frys build, then look at a cheap SSD investment.

Thank you for the reply's...How is Leveno's build quality ???

I have had very good luck with HP's...Have a couple of Pavillion's that would not die that I loan out. Old and slow but, better than nothing.

Thanks again for the advice !!!!!

I would personally rate Lenovo better quality than Dell, HP, Toshiba, etc easily. The only laptop I would grab aside from Lenovo would be an MSI or Sager (personal favorite).

Lenovo for sure, better build quality(depends from model to model) better cpu. Also if you upgrade the ram i'd recommend doing it at a service center as not to loose warranty.

AFAIK you don't lose the warranty on any OEM PC for upgrading the RAM. I asked about doing it on my HP (called HP) and they said it was fine.

I did it to my Acer without asking and lost it. Let`s agree it`s better to call the manufacturer and ask. Okay?

Went ahead with the Leveno from Fry's. Toshiba has always been my recommendation for inexpensive lappy's. Look, build quality "feel" is good. Bloat ware: not too bad. All in all, I felt good about the purchase.

Did my usual thing. Deleted all the bloat ware. Did the update thing. On its own or Win 8.1, it decided to boot into what looks like Win 7. Boots in under 30 seconds. I mean will boot and open Explorer in under 30 seconds.

I have heard that Leveno is what IBM used to be. I have been out of the tech loop for several years and thought some where down the line I would know that if it were true.

Gotta admit for 450 bones it is lighting fast. Joe was hell bent on 8 gig's and 1t was the way to go. He was. Quiet frankly wrong.

Gotta give you guys prop's...Without you I would not have been able to tell him..."Hey...I consulted with my techie guys and we agree".

Thank you for your opinion's and advice...Reminds of why I was so involved with overclockers.com starting back in 2001.

Things change. My current work has taken me out of the tech trade and down other paths.

But nice to know that when needed. I can come back to where I started and get the help, advice and expertise to give my friends and business partners sound advice.

Thanks again !!!!!

Last edited:
:grouphug:
Went ahead with the Leveno from Fry's. Toshiba has always been my recommendation for inexpensive lappy's. Look, build quality "feel" is good. Bloat ware: not too bad. All in all, I felt good about the purchase.

Did my usual thing. Deleted all the bloat ware. Did the update thing. On its own or Win 8.1, it decided to boot into what looks like Win 7. Boots in under 30 seconds. I mean will boot and open Explorer in under 30 seconds.

I have heard that Leveno is what IBM used to be. I have been out of the tech loop for several years and thought some where down the line I would know that if it were true.

Gotta admit for 450 bones it is lighting fast. Joe was hell bent on 8 gig's and 1t was the way to go. He was. Quiet frankly wrong.

Gotta give you guys prop's...Without you I would not have been able to tell him..."Hey...I consulted with my techie guys and we agree".

Thank you for your opinion's and advice...Reminds of why I was so involved with overclockers.com starting back in 2001.

Things change. My current work has taken me out of the tech trade and down other paths.

But nice to know that when needed. I can come back to where I started and get the help, advice and expertise to give my friends and business partners sound advice.

Thanks again !!!!!

:grouphug:

My vote would have been for the Lenovo as well, good choice. For surfing the web and watching movies, 4gb of RAM is plenty, even on Windows 8.1. Don't worry about upgrading the RAM, if he wants more speed out of the machine, upgrade to an SSD instead.

I don't think we can say "don't upgrade the ram" concretely without knowing what the user is going to be doing with the machine. If he plans to do any photoshop work, for example, or plans to have 40 browser windows open, etc.

I don't think we can say "don't upgrade the ram" concretely without knowing what the user is going to be doing with the machine. If he plans to do any photoshop work, for example, or plans to have 40 browser windows open, etc.

OP said
He does watch a lot of movies and sporting events. No gaming.
Somethings tells me if Photoshop was the target use for the machine, OP would have mentioned it. I'd wager that anyone purchasing a personal, non-gaming/enthusiast laptop that isn't a Mac, 4gb is more than adequate.

Back