• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who is still using winxp and plans to continue after the April cut off?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Still running XP Pro and Home on my backup PC, plus two others.

Hard to give it up. I just liked it so much better than Millennium Edition, which I was running in my first computer. I really hated that OS, buggy as hell. Reinstalled ME probably five or six times on the same computer before it started working half-way correctly. Never did solve the problem with connecting to other PC's on the network for file transfers and printer sharing. I liked Win 98 SE much better.

I was a holdout for a while. Held onto XP on my main system until 2011 when my OS was irreparably damaged by a virus infection, then it was time for an upgrade to 7 Professional (I had gotten a copy as a present).

Maybe I'll upgrade my backup system to Vista next, or better yet Windows 7 (Professional version most likely), find a copy on ebay or something.

Or I think I've got a copy of 2000 Professional around here somewhere, LOL. :D

Hehe I ran/run Windows ME there for a bit. My first OS.
Yeah, really crappy. I laughed when Windows Media Player 9 broke System Restore! :rofl:

I'll keep running XP too. No need to upgrade it since it's never used.

cullam3n, that is Windows 7, and Classic Shell can even adjust Windows 7 to be identical to Windows XP copy-paste initial prompt, even though Windows 7's is still informative.

Nothing can adjust Windows 8's prompt which has no information whatsoever View attachment 137666 on the initial screen, as you can see below, requiring additional clicks View attachment 137670 for each of the many files you are working on.

Whats worse is I ued to be able to "look" at PDF tiles and see the "outline of" aka "see the" the file/title page

Anyone experiencing a slow down of winxp with the last MSE update?

I have turned MSE and substituted AVG and have no see any slow down.

Source: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7667066

Instinctively, I thought that getting rid of Microsoft solutions ASAP is what I would do because I feared something like what happened just now might happen and it totally did: Microsoft accidentally released a Windows XP killing update!

Reports are surfacing that Microsoft Antimalware Service update, released after Windows XP support ended, is FUBARing Windows XP machines!

Here's a fix for those of you out there that are affected:

Change your Windows XP Windows update settings from Automatic to "Notify status"
Uninstall MSE
Reboot your system

Now install an older version of MSE
Run the MSE update

Go to Windows update > Do not install the update.

Wow.

By the way, here's what Microsoft did when Windows Me reached End of Life status: They released KB891711.exe and KB918547.exe update patches, exe files which were run *every time* Windows 98/Me boots.

They slowed the system down significantly and resulted in frequent errors saying "There is not enough memory to run this program..." or "Insufficient memory to run this application; close one or more Windows applications and try again." or

The only cure was to go to Start Menu > Run... > msconfig
to disable them from running at startup.

So back in those days, I wrote in my notes: The protection may not be worth it if the system slows down significantly with frequent "Insufficient memory" errors that have nothing to do with the amount of available RAM or other resources but are a direct side effect of these patches. Using Windows search may also slow down the system to the point of being unusable if these two .exe files are run at startup.

What good is security on a completely crippled down old system which cannot handle running those mandatory critical update exe files at startup? They were system killers. Medicine which killed the patient.

lol it runs my web server.... it will continue to do so until the end of time.

Have installed 'Scientific' Linux 6.5 in a dual - boot arrangement in order to go on the world wide web.
Left Wind XP installed in its partition for the girlfrined's confidence factor ;
I never use M$ Wind anymore , except for SolidWorks.
Even that may be unnecessary with FreeCAD releasing more mature versions.

This one. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2964358

Internet Explorer updates are not Windows XP operating system security updates. It's not the same thing.

Interestingly the very KB article pages themselves are not compatible with Internet Explorer 6. Just as a point of interest, not that anyone would use IE6 but Microsoft's own pages for Windows XP KB articles are not viewable on Windows XP's native browser. And have not been for a very long time...

Attachments

• 2964358.png
    2964358.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 125
This one. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2964358

Internet Explorer updates are not Windows XP operating system security updates. It's not the same thing.

Interestingly the very KB article pages themselves are not compatible with Internet Explorer 6. Just as a point of interest, not that anyone would use IE6 but Microsoft's own pages for Windows XP KB articles are not viewable on Windows XP's native browser. And have not been for a very long time...

I can't believe that this zero day exploit has been around since IE 6. :shock:
Make me wonder if the NSA knew about it :sly:

I can't believe that this zero day exploit has been around since IE 6. :shock:
Make me wonder if the NSA knew about it :sly:

Considering I just installed 56 security updates for Win8 -- the problems are still going strong.

The ingenuity of the human mind when faced with a wall it wants to get aroiund is truly amazing.

So did this IE patch make it safe to install Flash again, or did they just fix an older zero day exploit?

Back