• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who is still using winxp and plans to continue after the April cut off?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Google officially said they will continue to update and patch security holes in Chrome for Windows XP until April 2015, "a full year after Microsoft stops supporting Windows XP."

Firefox will go more than a year on Windows XP for sure, I would bet a whole lot more beyond 2015.

Chrome install is scary. They don't tell you what version the file you are installing is, if you as much as touch the installation file, it installs itself "everywhere" without asking basic questions like where you want it installed, if you want it installed, and it immediately starts phoning home. You uninstall Chrome and Google Update is still pinging your firewall trying to send data out of your system... We've been complaining about Firefox a lot lately but at least eventually you can customize Firefox to do whatever you want it to do...

There's a distinct feeling of losing all control after you launch that Google Chrome setup... they may as well display "You're Ours Now!" right after you launch it :)

Google officially said they will continue to update and patch security holes in Chrome for Windows XP until April 2015, "a full year after Microsoft stops supporting Windows XP."

Firefox will go more than a year on Windows XP for sure, I would bet a whole lot more beyond 2015.

Chrome install is scary. They don't tell you what version the file you are installing is, if you as much as touch the installation file, it installs itself "everywhere" without asking basic questions like where you want it installed, if you want it installed, and it immediately starts phoning home. You uninstall Chrome and Google Update is still pinging your firewall trying to send data out of your system... We've been complaining about Firefox a lot lately but at least eventually you can customize Firefox to do whatever you want it to do...

There's a distinct feeling of losing all control after you launch that Google Chrome setup... they may as well display "You're Ours Now!" right after you launch it :)

I was wondering how Google chrome was making money, do they collect data on the websites you are visiting?

i demand you prove this using wireshark and proving that those ip address you find are valid google/nsa related ip addresses.

:)

There's nothing personal about this (for me.)

I merely clicked on the Google Chrome setup file, this immediately happened, there's nothing more or less I was referring to, first lets look at the screen shot:

Attachments

• Google1.png
    Google1.png
    121.5 KB · Views: 96
I clicked on the Setup file because you don't know what file version Google Chrome Setup file it is. (Firefox version is in the name of the setup file itself.)
But Google on the other hand does not tell you which version of Chrome you are installing - the installation file itself contains no such basic information. Neither does Google Chrome's official download web page (!)

As soon as I did that - I was "theirs" as I jokingly referred to what happened:

1. It had installed itself without asking me where or if I wanted that to happen. Firefox asks me that and every other program I have asks me where and IF I want them installed. Basic courtesy. Not Google Chrome.

2. Notice the top window - I always feel violated when they insert themselves into my Startup without asking - Firefox does not do that, others ask *if* they can do that. Google Chrome does that - Google Chrome gets inside you straight up whether you like it or not, you have no choice.

3. Notice my Firewall intercepting GoogleUpdate.exe on the bottom right?

Well that continues AFTER I uninstall Google Chrome which then launches Internet Explorer for good measure to sidestep my Firewall which had intercepted both GoogleUpdate and Chrome itself from sending info to Google. So Chrome launches Internet Explorer to let Google know what just happened since people's Firewalls are usually set NOT TO intercept your existing web browser which Google Chrome uses to report to Google anyway *despite* you having blocked both Chrome and Google Update from phoning home. I feel like their boot is on my face as they do all this.

Not that there's anything nefarious and filled with details about what is being reported - this just proves what I was saying - nothing else...

Last edited:
3. Notice my Firewall intercepting GoogleUpdate.exe on the bottom right?

Well that continues AFTER I uninstall Google Chrome which then launches Internet Explorer for good measure to sidestep my Firewall which had intercepted both GoogleUpdate and Chrome itself from sending info to Google. So Chrome launches Internet Explorer to let Google know what just happened since people's Firewalls are usually set NOT TO intercept your existing web browser which Google Chrome uses to report to Google anyway *despite* you having blocked both Chrome and Google Update from phoning home. I feel like their boot is on my face as they do all this.

Not that there's anything nefarious and filled with details about what is being reported - this just proves what I was saying - nothing else...

fill the rest of the bucket with more water. i want to see proof that as well.

EDIT: sorry to be like this, but im getting tired of all this spying i keep seeing in the news and from other people but not much proof about it. i just hear about it but i dont search much of it. but i still want pictures and other sorts of proof to back up what you are saying.

fill the rest of the bucket with more water. i want to see proof that as well.

EDIT: sorry to be like this, but im getting tired of all this spying i keep seeing in the news and from other people but not much proof about it. i just hear about it but i dont search much of it. but i still want pictures and other sorts of proof to back up what you are saying.

I have no pics becasue Chrome is installed, but I have seen googleupdater.exe stick around in my msconfig startup.... :shrug:

Hi,

First of all let's clear this up: "all this spying" is a valid but separate topic, and we can discuss that, but I wasn't talking about that.

So separating the topics:
1. See the Comodo Firewal alert window taking up the bottom right of the window on my screen shot above? That's Comodo intercepting GoogleUpdate.exe phoning home. After I launch the process of removing Google Chrome and that process completes, Comodo Firewall freeware still intercepts GoogleUpdate.exe launched by the initial Chrome installation process.

GoogleUpdate.exe should be asking us for permission to phone home [the topic is not *what kind of info* it is sending home - the topic is that IT IS - nothing else, the mere fact that it is doing it.]

So that's where Topic 1 ends, that is the proof of what I was saying because I said nothing else on "all this spying".

2. Separate topic you raised was addressed in Edward Snowden's testimony two weeks ago, it should help anyone face basic facts about reality today:
"Without getting out of my chair, I could have read the private communications of any member of this committee, as well as any ordinary citizen. I swear under penalty of perjury that this is true."

Former United States President Carter, from just a few days ago: "When I want to communicate with a foreign leader privately, I type or write the letter myself, put it in the post office, and mail it…I believe if I sent an email, it will be monitored."

Topic 2 has nothing to do with what I was talking about, which is the installation process differences between Google Chrome and Firefox. Firefox gives us more choices.

I think adobe flash does all the same things as Google chrome does and I don't like that either.

Yea, my pet peeve with Adobe is that they don't allow customization, you cannot custom setup your own Photoshop environment :screwy: everything *has to be* the same on every machine. Big companies don't realize how important customization is - I didn't switch from Internet Explorer to Firefox only because of security - Customization is also the main reason for switching to Firefox and staying with Firefox. I actually replicated all Internet Explorer behavior on Firefox 0.x Beta including integrated use of the Windows Favorites folder. I don't like Firefox out of the box - but pretty much everything can be changed on it, gives us lots of control.

Flash does however, have a specific INSTALL button you are supposed to click on before installation process begins though. Google Chrome does not. Flash does have the product version in their setup files. Chrome does not.

Most importantly: Flash does give you control and asks for permission for inserting itself into startup and for permission to Phone Home for updates, Google Chrome does not.

Attachments

• AdobeFlash.png
    AdobeFlash.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 91
Most importantly: Flash does give you control and asks for permission for inserting itself into startup and for permission to Phone Home for updates, Google Chrome does not.

So all you have to do is check never check for updates to turn the options off?

Well the magic date is passed.....are you still alive out there WinXP?

I have a brand new copy of Xp pro still sealed, have had it for years :D

Some may hate it now, but it was our saviour in comparison to such hits as win 95, 98, me.. Yuck.

I haven't run it on my own machines since vista dropped lol.

I guess no one remembers that XP was not well-liked when it came out?

:chair:

The "XPocalypse" is upon us!!

"Some of the claims were remarkably prescient, just not in the way their posters expected. Painless suggested that "one of these days people won't upgrade any more." This turned out to be somewhat accurate... it's just that it's Windows XP, Product Activation and all, that they'd stick with."

"Another notable prediction came from amani, who said that Microsoft would simply force people to upgrade by "refusing to support older versions of Windows." What we've learned since then is that even cutting support doesn't, in fact, force people to upgrade. That's precisely the problem Microsoft is now facing."

I remember the hate for winXP for product activation mainly. But it has grown to be quite stable and of course we like what we are used to and hate what is new, especially if its very different like win8. AND product activation is still very annoying if you are constantly reinstalling.

Still running XP Pro and Home on my backup PC, plus two others.

Hard to give it up. I just liked it so much better than Millennium Edition, which I was running in my first computer. I really hated that OS, buggy as hell. Reinstalled ME probably five or six times on the same computer before it started working half-way correctly. Never did solve the problem with connecting to other PC's on the network for file transfers and printer sharing. I liked Win 98 SE much better.

I was a holdout for a while. Held onto XP on my main system until 2011 when my OS was irreparably damaged by a virus infection, then it was time for an upgrade to 7 Professional (I had gotten a copy as a present).

Maybe I'll upgrade my backup system to Vista next, or better yet Windows 7 (Professional version most likely), find a copy on ebay or something.

Or I think I've got a copy of 2000 Professional around here somewhere, LOL. :D

Back