• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who is still using winxp and plans to continue after the April cut off?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Why limit you machines to just one operating system? Hard drives are not expensive any more, even small SSD are worth installing Windows XP in combo with whatever else you have, if you still have the WinXP key.

Dual booting allows you to run all older hardware and software on WinXP and still have Win8+Classic Shell to use everything else in the same way as you would on just Win7.

Meh, too much work.

Remember that triple boot laptop I made with DOS+3.1, 98 and Neptune? Yeah, I had to re-install everything 3 more times after that. :mad:

Sometimes, it's just worth having a dedicated machine. :)

How does your wife stand the stupid Vista prompt asking you if it's okay to do this or that?

I used Windows Server 2008 for 3 weeks in college and I was so sick of it, I turn off UAC. Than it asked if I wanted to open the control panel :facepalm:
Because I used it a long time and her's doesn't, I guess as I set it up.

Hah! Sold my Vista. Was a pain in the butt. Was ok after every single update was applied. All the service packs had to be there..... Hours of install time.

XP, NLited, never updated benching only. The daily rigs all run W7. I don't need to spend moneys on W8 already when 7 serves the purposes just fine now.

Then W9 in 2015.... probably still be running W7 at that point as well. Nothing wrong with it?

Meh, too much work.

Remember that triple boot laptop I made with DOS+3.1, 98 and Neptune? Yeah, I had to re-install everything 3 more times after that. :mad:

Sometimes, it's just worth having a dedicated machine. :)

You were installing unstable old OS and Beta OS which break frequently, as a matter of fact, muti boots is the only way to use those old OS. I have old machines I "dedicated" to Windows 9x/Me but they are not the only OS on those machines, I boot into Windows 2000 to image/reimage Win9x/Me partitions on those machines all the time, because old OS's break "all the time".

When you install any OS onto a relatively small partition and make an image of that small partition onto another hard drive, all you have to do is reboot into another OS and reimage in less time it takes you to go on a short bathroom break. Couple of minutes. That's a lot shorter and easier than reinstalling / installing from scratch. That is also quicker than diagnosing the smallest of problems.

If I have a problem with Windows Vista/7/8, even a slight hickup, I reboot into WinXP and nuke them and reimage them. I can't imagine using a computer without doing that. All problems are solved in two minutes like that. All problems that ever come up.

From Windows XP, you can image Windows 8, bonus being that Windows XP is not dependent on BCD like Vista and Win7/8 are so if something goes wrong with that, it's easier to just reboot into WinXP and image modern OS's from WinXP without even looking for and using startup media to fix the problem.

You were installing unstable old OS and Beta OS which break frequently, as a matter of fact, muti boots is the only way to use those old OS. I have old machines I "dedicated" to Windows 9x/Me but they are not the only OS on those machines, I boot into Windows 2000 to image/reimage Win9x/Me partitions on those machines all the time, because old OS's break "all the time".

When you install any OS onto a relatively small partition and make an image of that small partition onto another hard drive, all you have to do is reboot into another OS and reimage in less time it takes you to go on a short bathroom break. Couple of minutes. That's a lot shorter and easier than reinstalling / installing from scratch. That is also quicker than diagnosing the smallest of problems.

If I have a problem with Windows Vista/7/8, even a slight hickup, I reboot into WinXP and nuke them and reimage them. I can't imagine using a computer without doing that. All problems are solved in two minutes like that. All problems that ever come up.

From Windows XP, you can image Windows 8, bonus being that Windows XP is not dependent on BCD like Vista and Win7/8 are so if something goes wrong with that, it's easier to just reboot into WinXP and image modern OS's from WinXP without even looking for and using startup media to fix the problem.

True. I see what you mean.

It is nice to have a stable OS as a backup just in case. :)

My pc (HP pavillion a250n),thats hooked up to the TV still running XP home, (main pc running 7).
After April,we should be able to download the updates from microsoft ? Reason i ask is that if,for whatever reason i have to reformat the XP machine,ill still have to install the service packs.Normally as you know this would happen via updates.
So hopefully they will still be available.

Seriously guys 8.1 is pretty impressive just installed it a few hours ago and still messing around setting it up and it's fast and some of the multimedia features just seem outrageous.

Maybe you're not interested in that, I'm barely into it yet and takes a lot of getting used to, but wow.

I still don't use windows multimedia apps, I refuse to use windows media center, but still the interface for it seems to work well with other ones.

Running movies and FLACs over this is like seriously nice, to say the least.

My sons pc has windows 8 running and probably will upgrade to 8.1 ,
Personally i just prefer 7.

Apparently they've done another 360 and said they will continue to support XP with security updates till 2015 because of user backlash.

No, they will not update Windows XP after April, they will only update antimalware signatures. I'm not sure how that's relevant to us, since most of us already have anti-virus software installed on Windows XP with definitions that will "always" be updated.

No, they will not update Windows XP after April, they will only update antimalware signatures. I'm not sure how that's relevant to us, since most of us already have anti-virus software installed on Windows XP with definitions that will "always" be updated.

Oh. :(

Back