• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My OC profiles no longer work ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Maybe not, but for me it will be like going from a Chevette to a Corvette :)

I have so many hours of HD video I have been putting off editing because of the time it takes to render. I have also been ripping some Blue Rays, and it takes forever to encode if I want high quality. I started using Team Viewer so I could control my computer remotely and keep things going while I was at work.

@poco242. I just spent about 1.5 hours going thru some g00gle about hey what do I need for a heavy video editting diet? And it took to your post #26 for you to say you have a pretty good heap of video to edit.

So I am truly at a loss as to just what I would do if I was just now buying to do video editting. What software you use will make a difference for sure. Will the software use Cuda. Will it use Intel video synch or what ever the name is today?

You can get in the AMD rig a little cheaper to begin with until I tell you how much faster my FX-8350 is with VideoPad Editor at 4.8Ghz than it is at 4.3 to 4.5Ghz. I have written about such before and it may be in my "Does Piledriver flatline at 4.3Ghz like Bulldozer?" or name very similar.

Point being that the cheaper money to get an AMD FX-8350 and mobo is easily offset in getting the cooling to reach my video editting speed. Now you will certainly get a reduction in rendering time with the FX-8350 over the rig you have now that is slow. That is a given, but getting the speed in rendering that I see now at 4.8Ghz? Well that takes cooling and that cooling can eat up the lesser expense to get in with AMD over a 4core Intel processor with HyperThreading.

So let me state something this way; if you will only edit video on the new purchase, then get the FX-8350 or similar with a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 but if you have any idea to go dual purpose, I would suggest pricing some Intel stuff that may not take such high dollar cooling.

I write this way because desktop performance rigs are at a big crossroads. What to do and which way to go? If I spent X money today, will it be fine at the end of year. Now that question is nearly un-answerable, but we always take a glance at it.

Sorry I seem so un-decided, but it is because I am at this point. I have the FX-8350 and cooling. I am not going to go buy the stuff. Could I do better? That depends on the rendering software you use and if the rig will be video editting rig "only"?
RGone...

The video editing I do is not at a professional level by any means. It is manly of my family, and a lot of Go Pro type video. Because of this, the ultimate machine is not a goal I have or need. If I could turn a 3 hour render into 1.5 or 2, I would be happy. Also I have been ripping my BR collection to a RAID 5 setup I just put together. Ripping is not bad, but encoding them to H264 is very slow unless I sacrifice quality. Storage I have, so I want quality.

I know an Intel build would be better, but I know zero about Intel. I have learned enough about AMD to get by.....barely.

Programs used-

Make MKV
Handbrake
Cyberlink Power Director 12

Well handbrake will do offload to gpu with Open CL, but it is not really recommended on stuff that a crash might wipe. Otherwise handbrake will surely use all the FX-8350 cores. Just make sure you have some pretty good cooling since extra cpu mhz will make a pretty darn good difference. And as said earlier, the FX-8350 with 8 cores will speed up your video editting anyway. You will feel like the afterburners were lit.
RGone...

Going from a PII 965 to the 8350 cut my time in half for bluray work.

I think I have a buyer for my MB, processor, and the 212+ cooler I had on it before I went to water. I gave him a price he couldn't refuse.

Making the leap are you? As long as you start off with a good base ( mobo) you'll have a lot less issues. Sabertooth R2.0 is one solid board.

Back