• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My OC profiles no longer work ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

poco242

Previously I have overclocked my P2 965 stable at 4.3ghz. I had all of the profiles saved. I have not messed withe OC'ing for a while. I just started doing a bunch of video encoding so I decided to go back to the profile for 4.2ghz to speed things along. I have just ran it at stock speeds for a few months. It will no longer start with any of the profiles I have saved. I recently upgraded the BIOS to the latest version. Could that have somthing to do with it? If I try to even run a 3.8ghz profile It posts, and then goes to a screen telling me to press f1 to reset the BIOS.

I am a little pissed. I worked long and hard to get all of these profiles stable, and now it will not even start with any of them.

Any suggestions, or just start over?

Forgot to mention. I had to reinstall windows on this machine a while ago too. This time I set it up UEFI. It was not before.

Last edited:
A bios upgrade often invalidates previous overclock stored settings. It will need to be tweaked again. I would start by resetting the CMOS.

A bios upgrade often invalidates previous overclock stored settings. It will need to be tweaked again. I would start by resetting the CMOS.
+1
You shouldn't use a BIOS profile save with a different BIOS version. In fact the ASUS boards I have erase any saved profiles when the BIOS is flashed to a newer version.

OK. I will just have to go through it all again. It did not erase the profiles, but none will work. Even the mildest overclock, but if I let the BIOS do an auto overclock, it works, but is only a 3.7Ghz OC, so pretty much useless. I got the best performance at 4.2Ghz. Any higher and it was no better and even worse in some respects.

What a PITA. I had hours and hours into those settings :(

Probably did not need the newer bios anyway, so you could always try flashing back to it and see if the saved OC profiles work again. In cases like this I find pics are better so that I can see what were my settings and since it will only be one or maybe two things at the most causing the problen, the majority of my earlier settings would still work. I just "look" at my bios pics and add the settings back one at a time or in specific groups and then I locate the only one or two settings giving the issue.

I also find that after extended use older settings need more Vcore to work or a really good cleaning of my coolers. Good luck.
RGone...

I have all of the pics on another thread here, so I can go to that.

I did the BIOS flash because I was having issues with the USB drivers not loading and basically the USB ports were running like 1.1 instead of 2.0 and 3.0. It has not happened since the flash so I am hoping it fixed it.

My BIOS was about 4 versions old. All of the fixes were for "stability" issues.

Ah yes, Asus and wonky Usb. I flashed their first bios that mentioned Usb and thus did not have to flash all the way to the last one.
RGone...

I will have to see if any say anything about USB. I figured if I was doing it, I would go all the way. Live and learn :)

I have had lots of issues with the USB.

Third bios release for that motherboard. It was about Usb for sure.
Version 0601
Description M5A97 R2.0 BIOS 0601
1.Improve system stability.
2.Enhance compatibility with some USB devices.

When a bios says enhance memory compatibility or enhance system stability...well that bios has a less than good chance of working with previous bios settings.

But now you have to do something if the later bios you used DOES fix the Usb. That you need. Not knowing if you were on the second or even first release bios...no way to tell what will work out short of trial and erroring you a new setup for OC.

I will say this, most of us you see posting to help have the Sabetooth or CHV mobo's with a sprinkling of the 9xx EVO and PRO boards that were relegated to HTPC use since they don't hold up to the 6 and 8 core WFO OCs and everyone of us are running a later cpus on AS early a bios as we can. The early bioses just seem to clock up or FX processors more readily. Strange shett man.
RGone...

I have the same mobo/cpu/gpu combo, it's awsome, rock solid.
very nice choice of rigs my friend, good on ya.

It is a great setup. I just learned the hard way not to update the BIOS unless absolutely necessary. I think I may flash it back to the previous version. The USB issue was only once and a while and a re start took care of it. With my SSD, a restart takes very little time so it was not a big deal. I want my 4.2Ghz back.

I had that same board (It's now in my wife's computer) and it gave me USB problems as well. None of the upgrades seemed to fix the issue despite claiming the last several for that board being released for that very reason. I now have the M5A99x which is a bit of an upgrade and the USB problems are gone except when I use IE 11 and go to certain websites. Then the USB locks up. Really weird. Does not happen with Firefox on those same websites.

I tried to downgrade the BIOS but it will not let me. I did an internet search on downgrading the BIOS and it looks like a complicated process.

If that's the M5A97 in your sig it has an option called direct key/flash. There's a small button you push on the mobo with the USB in the proper port that will let you do this without using the DOS method. Check your manual for the proper maning but the procedure is fairly painless. Take the bios you want to flash to the board and rename it COnsult your manual for this since I'm only guessing at the name but it'll be something like M5A97R20.CAP. Put that on the flash and insert into the proper port. Have the machine shut downbut leave thepower on then push the button on the board and hold till a red light starts to flash and release. When the light stops flashing the board is updated.

EDIT: Here you go

bios flash m5a97.JPG

Last edited:
Thank You. I was just reading my manual and was going to try that. Hopefully that method will flash an older BIOS.

With this new BIOS, every restart is a roll of the dice if it will start or not. Sometimes I have to hit the reset button and give it a second try or it hangs on the ASUS screen. It never did this before. But hey, the USB seems to be working fine :)

It'll work I use this method all the time when trying an older bios.

I have it OC's to 4.21Ghz now and it is encoding video at about 5 fps faster than stock. About as much as I can ask from the old 965. If I want faster, I will need more CPU and a new MB.

Glad you got back to where you wanted. What you just went thru is why if a bios says fix memory compatibility or increase stability...I hardly ever will flash one of those bioses. They have been monkied with to get someone's wienie ram to run or some other thing not the least connected with pushing an overclock. But that is me...YMMV.
RGone...

Back