• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

QX6700 Air Cooling + Low Volts Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
Been playing around with this Tuniq Tower 120 all day and decide to start clocking the processor a bit. My goal was to clock it up as high as humnaly possible on 1.27vcore. I am quite happy with the chip so far. My next goal will be to select an actual 1.35vcore and see how high she will go. Than I will approximate how much vcore is necessary for a 3.40 24/7 clock.

Results using quad core cinebench benchmark to put some strain on all four cores:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Rattle said:
dammit man thats sweet for 1.27, any prime results at 3300 and 1.27v

It will definitely need some voltage for prime stability Rattle. I havent even began to test for stability yet. I am trying to find its maximums.

Dom

Just pin pointed where the quad core FSB issue begins on my P5B Deluxe.
I know the CPU has plenty left in it, but 10 X 340 is too much FSB to ask of it. I am going to raise the multi to 12X and see what we can do. I will check back if not later tonight than tomorrow.

Dom

I've been waiting for low voltage results. Looks like you have one hell of a chip there. I have a Q6600 on the way and I am hoping to get 3ghz out of it at very low voltage. I wont have the luxury of changing the multi on my Q6600 so I really hope the fsb issue with these doesn't leave me stumped.

You should be fine on the P5B. FSB suffers, but I don't think it'll get too much in the way of overclocking. The CPU will most likely top out quicker.

Are there some other settings like NB, SB voltage or any others that would help FSB? I admit I haven't kept special track of quad-core oc'ing at all so if not just ignore me :p

GTL and VTT. The Abit boards have the latter, but AFAIK, only DFI's RD600 has the former.

NB and SB are of course always helpful.

Edit: I should mention, that the P5B is moddable if anyone so pleases. :)

Last edited:
It would be nice if you ran 4x Prime95 as Cinebench stresses the CPU no where near as much as Prime95. You'll most likely be getting stability issues already at 3.10GHz at 1.27V (actual Vcore) or by 3.20GHz for sure.

That is a nice piece of sand you got there Dom ! :)

Is that 1.27 volt from Bios reading or from DVM ?

Hope you'll not get bored by my similiar question again, :D have you try VCore=1.1000 Volt ? How high you can OC at that undervolt ? Well, mind as well tell the temp diff. between the current 1.27V vs 1.100V ! :D

TIA

GFORCE100 said:
It would be nice if you ran 4x Prime95 as Cinebench stresses the CPU no where near as much as Prime95. You'll most likely be getting stability issues already at 3.10GHz at 1.27V (actual Vcore) or by 3.20GHz for sure.

He was just showing what is possible as he said it wasn't a stability test.

deathman20 said:
He was just showing what is possible as he said it wasn't a stability test.

I understand that but for stage 2, it would be nice to precisely pinpoint what's possible at such Vcore and the only way to do this would be to utterly stress the system with four instance of Prime95.

Its Dom he knows what hes doing and he knows how to stress a PC. Im not at all worried about the results shown.

Speaking of which, Dom did you have an updated thread on this or you on vacation?

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=499750 Look at this thread, it shows what the load is with after market cooling at stock. Is amazing though that it runs soo cool at that speed idle, wish my CPU would do that at that speed.

Last edited:
I'm at a pretty high votage on mine (and it's lapped) but am getting similar results on the stock cooler. 24 x 7 folding.
I've had to bump down to 3.2Ghz with the warmer weather though. :(

Back