• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

explorer getting memory-happy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
ok, so my friend gave me 512 mb of ddr ram...its the exact same brand as the stuff i already had, same model and everything..so, now i have 768 mb of kingston pc2100.....but heres the thing, it didnt do this before i had the other 512....but whenever i run a program having to do with windows....i mean stuff like windows media player, windows update (i have winxp pro btw) but if i open up task manager, it will be using 120 mb - 300 mb of memory, plus 95-100% of the cpu power.....i dunno whats up...any ideas?

no viruses, i run antivirus twice a week....and i have all the newest definitions...so thats prolly not it...im guessing the computer doesnt like the wierd amout of ram i have...maybe ill take out one of the 256 sticks

Like reddeathdrinker suggested, running a mem-test program like "memtest"...which you can download from AOAFiles here:

http://www.aoafiles.com (Use the "Search for Files" function, and type in memtest).

...would probably be your best bet. ;)

Back