• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Screensaver.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's actually not recommended that you use the screensaver version -- apparently it causes many problems.

"Clients are available at Stanford's website. Click Here - a note about the clients. We strongly urge you to avoid the screensaver only version. In most cases it will not serve you well."

I got this from our Team 32 site. Check out my sig for the URL.

cynergy said:
the screensaver keeps crashing my parents' system...any ideas?

More than likely it's an issue with your video card drivers or cpu heat or power supply. Without more details, it's hard to pin point. I still run the screen saver version on several rigs and never have any problems out of them. Yes the text console does run more stable with less issues, but I prefer the screensaver version cause I don't like the fact that the text version has to be open in the task bar. Some of the guys run the text w/ a program called hideit. You might like that better. But back to the problem, More than likely it has something to do with either the vid drivers or a heat disapation issue. I'd start with the vid drivers and make sure you've got the latest drivers, and if you've got a way to monitor the cpu temps, check that as well. If it's a heat issue, the text version isn't going to be any better for you. And last but not least, make sure your powersupply is able to handle the loads. That's ussually not a issue, but I have seen it cause problems in the past with a coupple of rigs. So, give us a few more details. What kinda rig is it, what kinda mobo, cpu, vid card, os, neighbors daughters specs, etc...;) We can probably solve this issue for you. :cool:

It sounds like a vid card problem but it could be many things. try the plain text console ver. and EM3 will hide the client locally, if you want the clients on other boxes to go into the tray then use a program called trayit.

Tweaked>>>>>Try trayit I think you will like it and switch to the console ver. Also he might be talking about the screensaver only ver. not the GUI but I could be mistaken. Fold on!!!!!!

EM III will also hide the text client(do not choose STEALTH as this is the wrong option for putting things in the tray) and can still provide the drawing, ability to configure, overall stats dl'd from standfords site, creation of an html page listing the proteins that you've folded and monitor over the lan.

Back